Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 269,935 times)

RakaiThwei

Are they taking questions from the chat or no?

Ultramorph

They're taking questions now, mostly stuff about the old comics.

Scott Allie LOLed at elephantine Engineers.

RakaiThwei

I am laughing at this guy who is asking about the old comics.  :laugh:

Ultramorph

Scott Allie is more focused on earliest movies, says even all the movies don't really fit in a single neat line.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 29, 2014, 11:46:35 PM
Scott Allie is more focused on earliest movies, says even all the movies don't really fit in a single neat line.

No disputing that. Absolutely no disputing that.

Ultramorph

Looks like the rewrites on Prometheus 2 were partially responsible for Fox nuking the original drafts of the comics. Let the Michael Green bashing begin.  :laugh:

RakaiThwei

Well.. I was hoping that chat questions would be answered but... much to my disappointment, no.

So what did we learn? Apparently, the female lead in this is Angela. And that some battles will be fought in space.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Mar 29, 2014, 07:14:48 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 29, 2014, 09:56:02 AM
Quote from: Nazrel on Mar 29, 2014, 08:55:49 AM
So just for my understanding... theyre taking the first three alien films, Predator 1-3, Prometheus and Alien Isolation; wrapping them all into one canon universe?
Among other things (e.g.: everything else you didn't list).

Except they are ignoring AVP & AVP:R.
And likely the rest of the dumb shit.
The authors are choosing to for the purposes of the story they want to tell, that doesn't mean it's "not canon" in the grand scheme of things.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 29, 2014, 07:45:48 PM
I wonder if the decision to ignore the AvP films was either a personal decision by the writers or mandated by Fox.
I'm very confident it was a personal choice. FOX has been quite supportive of the AvP films in other media very recently.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 29, 2014, 11:48:14 PM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 29, 2014, 11:46:35 PM

No disputing that. Absolutely no disputing that.
That's what made it extra hilarious to me when people would complain about "strict continuity" and how the EU "violated" it.
As if the movies were much better. :P
Hence why I'm a fan of "fuzzy continuity" (and I assume why others like a "multiverse" idea).

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 30, 2014, 02:47:28 AM
The authors are choosing to for the purposes of the story they want to tell, that doesn't mean it's "not canon" in the grand scheme of things.

Can I ask how do you know this?

I'm very confident it was a personal choice. FOX has been quite supportive of the AvP films in other media very recently.

Explain "recently".

And how do you know Fox is still supportive of the AvP films in other media? The last ones were AvP2010 and Evolution but Evolution only had the temples, not so much Karl Bishop Weyland or any mention of Charles.

That's what made it extra hilarious to me when people would complain about "strict continuity" and how the EU "violated" it.
As if the movies were much better. :P

Hence why I'm a fan of "fuzzy continuity" (and I assume why others like a "multiverse" idea).

Some of us would like a clear and strict continuity like Star Wars. But obviously we are never, ever so much as going to get that. I was surprised that Scott Allie had outright stated that the films didn't even match up very cleanly. Or to some, not very neatly. As for the multiverse idea... well... I like the idea of it but so far... that idea seemed to be shot down when they decided to shoe-horn this into the overall EU, which is something that I don't agree with.

Ultramorph

I wish they had revealed a bit more, but I'm not surprised that they didn't. I think they're being so secretive not just to avoid spoiling things , but also because they fear that Fox will force further changes, and DH doesn't want to be in the position of promising things that don't pan out.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 30, 2014, 03:14:39 AM
I wish they had revealed a bit more, but I'm not surprised that they didn't. I think they're being so secretive not just to avoid spoiling things , but also because they fear that Fox will force further changes, and DH doesn't want to be in the position of promising things that don't pan out.

I am glad that they are now accepting fan questions over at AliensvsPredator.net. Cause I asked maybe a couple and I hope that they answer them. Their answers will decide if I will buy the comics or just jump ship.

Ultramorph

I'm glad, too. I asked a few that I doubt they'll be able to answer, but I figured it's worth a shot.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 30, 2014, 03:20:22 AM
I asked a few that I doubt they'll be able to answer, but I figured it's worth a shot.

Strongly and vehemently agreed.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Can I ask how do you know this?
Call it an educated guess based on past behavior. :)

Ask the creators, I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

QuoteExplain "recently".

And how do you know Fox is still supportive of the AvP films in other media? The last ones were AvP2010 and Evolution but Evolution only had the temples, not so much Karl Bishop Weyland or any mention of Charles.
We're still getting prop replicas and other merchandise from the AvP movies to this day (S.H. Monsterarts just did the 'AvP' Alien and 'AvPR' Wolf, Sideshow recently did a mask from 'AvP', the 'AvP' Alien designs are showing up in the AvP miniatures game, and NECA has the 'AvP' figures in the pipeline). If they're intending to ignore the AvP films wholesale, they're doing a pretty garbage job of it. :P

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 30, 2014, 03:52:39 AM
Call it an educated guess based on past behavior. :)

Ask the creators, I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

Well LeonardoDaTurtle over at AliensvsPredator.net's Fan Q&A asked Dark Horse on what Fox's stance is on AvP and their canonicity. So hopefully, we might get an answer on that. But I think we'll get something along the lines: "We're not an authority on what's canon or isn't" in regards to that question. Long shot to get an answer but hopefully we'll get an answer regarding that.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 30, 2014, 03:52:39 AM
We're still getting prop replicas and other merchandise from the AvP movies to this day (S.H. Monsterarts just did the 'AvP' Alien and 'AvPR' Wolf, Sideshow recently did a mask from 'AvP', the 'AvP' Alien designs are showing up in the AvP miniatures game, and NECA has the 'AvP' figures in the pipeline). If they're intending to ignore the AvP films wholesale, they're doing a pretty garbage job of it. :P

I don't see how merchandise has any bearing on the canon or storyline of the franchise. Merchandise is something which fans buy to add to their collection.. I'm sure there are many non-canonical characters in various franchises who have gotten toys and figures. But again, I don't see toys as having any real bearing whatsoever.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed