Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 269,918 times)

Corporal Hicks

Earlier this year we reported that Dark Horse would be launching a Prometheus comic series. Over the past several days news has been emerging that Dark Horse would also be launching new Alien, Predator and versus series. However, according to this io9 article Dark Horse intends to reboot the comic franchise and bridge all four franchises into a single continuity:

“The level of collaboration here between the writers is pretty phenomenal, actually. Chris, Paul, and Joshua are all friends of mine who I hang out with on a regular basis, but it was an interesting experience getting to sit together in one room with them and hash out the intricacies of these various characters and their individual stories, and how they would sync up and interact. When Scott brought me onboard, he described it as a "writer's room," which is something that I hadn't really been a part of before.”

10102013_01 Alien: Covenant: One Year Later - AvP Galaxy Podcast #68

The io9 article includes brief interviews with writers of all four series and includes several pieces of concept art by the series artists. I for one am very interested in this news. A solid EU continuity is something that the Aliens/Predator franchise just don’t have. I’m excited to see where this goes.

PRJ_since1990

First! But seriously, this is cool! Love the comics and the EU so we'll have to see where this goes. I'm excited. Anyone else?

Jay Thomas

Yes! Very excited!

This + the Out of the Shadows novel are the best AvP news I could hope for. I love Aliens literature.

Dark Bladed Hunter

Awesome, I Can't wait! A reboot is a good idea with all the new movie canon, I think.

SM

SM

Tres interesting.

I see fans of the AvP flicks will get something of a raw deal though.
(Is PredXeno going to bust a foofoo valve though...?)

WickerMan

As long as it's a long running thing and not like, two stories a year, I'm totally down for some more Alien and Predator comics.

Quote from: SM on Oct 10, 2013, 10:29:54 PM
Tres interesting.

Not a huge fan of AvP, but still prefer it over Prometheus. I'll take Charles over Peter any day.

SM

SM

I'll take the opposite.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

So this guy just takes all of the films and pretty much says that they are canon, and reboots everything from the get go? Sounds like the Alien-Predator franchises are getting their own version of the New 52.  ::)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM
A solid EU continuity is something that the Aliens/Predator franchise just don't have. I'm excited to see where this goes.

What about Aliens: Berserker, Alien vs Predator: Prey, Alien vs Predator: War, Alien vs Predator: Three World War? Those had something of a strong continuity. And that's just off the top of my head.

-Rakai'Thwei

Mr. Clemens

Would read.

Not interested in the Predator stuff, but a less marine-centric depiction of the Alien universe has me intrigued.

SM

SM

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Oct 10, 2013, 11:25:18 PM
So this guy just takes all of the films and pretty much says that they are canon, and reboots everything from the get go? Sounds like the Alien-Predator franchises are getting their own version of the New 52.  ::)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM
A solid EU continuity is something that the Aliens/Predator franchise just don't have. I'm excited to see where this goes.

What about Aliens: Berserker, Alien vs Predator: Prey, Alien vs Predator: War, Alien vs Predator: Three World War? Those had something of a strong continuity. And that's just off the top of my head.

-Rakai'Thwei

They link internally (Jess' sudden melanin deficiency aside), but they don't have any continuity with the core source material.  Similarly Rogue, Labyrinth, Colonial Marines, Mondo Heat and Stronghold have links of varying degrees, but they too don't conform with the films.

I've no idea how these new comics will get around the 200 year lack of contact between mankind and Alien, or whether they'll just ignore that (despite claiming that everything in the original films is canon).  Interested to see if they tackle it.  I suspect they'll just handwave it.

DemonicD13

Crosses fingers.

Mr. Domino

200 year lack of contact is speculation, though. Who knows how many ships were completely annihilated when a xeno or two got loose? If they aren't broadcasting a transponder signal, or if it gets disabled, or any number of other things, a derelict spaceship would almost never be actually found.

dragonthingy

dragonthingy

The way they talk about it in the review, they seem to be inferring that there will be a cast of human characters in each series, instead of a different one for each story like the older mini-series did.

I also wonder of they'll keep the combined numbering of the older comics like Hellboy and BPRD did.

Also, the new Predator series is being called Predators. Interesting.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Oct 10, 2013, 10:29:54 PM
Tres interesting.

Hilarious, SM.

I think this is truly Awesome.  Finally, all the continuities are being linked up as they should be; I wonder if they'll link the AVP movie plots with the Prometheus one here, that'll probably end the whole different continuity debate.

SM

SM

The AvP guy seems to be indicating he's not directly referencing the AvP films.

Quote200 year lack of contact is speculation, though.

No, it isn't.  Saying it's "speculation" is a classic handwave.

That doesn't mean you can't have Alien encounters though.  You could have a group of people who are way out in the middle of deep space who encounter the Aliens (and Predators and Engineers even), and are completely cut off - either on a ship incapable of going to hyperspace, or on a planet they can't escape from.  The cut off aspect means it doesn't conflict with Resurrection and it returns to the feeling of isolation that pervaded the first film (which is what they seem to be going for anyway).

It could be an ongoing series with the main purpose surrounding the protagonists attempts to get back to civilisation or at least warn civilisation.  Of course the obvious danger being that it could become Gilligans Island, but there you go.

And there are other ways you can have isolated Alien encounter stories that no one in WY or the USM could know about.  But having too many of that sort of thing starts to strain credibility after a while.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed