Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 05, 2019, 06:37:28 PM

Author
Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending (Read 43,366 times)

Stitch

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 17, 2019, 07:20:42 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 17, 2019, 07:11:02 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Jan 17, 2019, 06:28:08 PM
And sorry, but Jean-Pierre Jeunet's trash
is better than Paul Anderson's Gold-
and by the extension, the Strauss Bros.

No way, Resurrection is just the worst.  Why, why, why did Sigourney sign up to do that parody? 
It's her equivalent to Arnold Schwarzenegger's Batman & Robin!

https://media0.giphy.com/media/IoTKP1ydJAJlC/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c40d2f44b7a726945c52542

I suppose it comes down to the fact that Resurrection's more interesting,
(and much better Directed) and when it comes to bad movies:

Interesting > "Good"

That's why, for instance- I find Batman Forever INFINITELY
more watchable than TDK Rises, because Rises is not only
bad; it's dull and bad- making Forever, more entertaining.
Hmm... Interesting take on things. In regards to Batman Forever vs TDKR, I'd agree with you, BUT only when watching the Fan Edit Red Book Edition of Batman Forever. Otherwise, TDKR beats it, in a heartbeat.

As for Jeunet vs Anderson... That's tricky. Anderson made Event Horizon, one of the best space horror films, and therefore should be better suited to making an Alien movie. Jeunet is not someone who should have ever made an alien film, as it is not his oeuvre. I wonder what the movies would have been like if the directors were switched. Alien Resurrection directed by PWS Anderson, and AvP directed by JP Jeunet might have been way more interesting.

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Stitch on Jan 17, 2019, 08:35:35 PM
I wonder what the movies would have been like if the directors were switched. Alien Resurrection directed by PWS Anderson, and AvP directed by JP Jeunet might have been way more interesting.

I believe both film's inherent problems go deeper than direction, but it is an interesting question for curiosity's sake. :)

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

"Hey, what's that? What's that on the ground over there? Is that the script?"

Huggs

Quote from: Stitch on Jan 17, 2019, 08:35:35 PM
As for Jeunet vs Anderson...

Jeunet, all the way.

426Buddy

Resurrection is a better film than both AvP's. 

At the same time AvP is pure gold compared to the absolute dumpster fire that is Requiem.

Corporal Hicks

Going off Event Horizon alone, Anderson should have been a perfect choice for an Alien-esque film. Unfortunately, that wasn't what we got.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 18, 2019, 08:33:04 AM
Going off Event Horizon alone, Anderson should have been a perfect choice for an Alien-esque film. Unfortunately, that wasn't what we got.

I may be in the minority here but i think the best part of Event Horizon is the script, which boasts some really great ideas, but not so much the execution.

Jutland

Event Horizon is weird. It's not actually a very good film. Yet it's somehow watchable and absorbing. It's one of the few non-current films that we quote at work and everyone over a certain age gets it ("why's your report so rubbish?" 'It's been to hell and back!!!").

Personally I would rather have Event Horizon kept for posterity than the whole of Jeunet's output. But that is just an opinion  :laugh:

Huggs

Huggs

Taking a quick detour and making a less serious movie can work, if done right, and with respect for the franchise. Jeunet handled the "wacky" aspects of Resurrection fairly well. But mixed in with all that humorous business, was some very serious content and a basically watchable alien story. Anderson had it in him (at the time) to make a good movie out of AVP, but for reasons that others could no doubt explain much better than I, it just didn't work out that way. His work with the RE movies definitely confirms (for me) that he is certainly no longer a good choice for any future films.

But, Anderson didn't flat-out murder the entire thing like Black did with The Predator. I'll give him that. And at least Jeunet kept the humor under control. Granted, it still felt more like one of the novels than the other films. It was cheesy, but workable cheesy.

Highland

Event Horizon is brilliant, the 27% it's got on RT makes it very puzzling. The rating probably effected AVP, I don't know if that was the studio's fault or his.

After that though all of Anderson's movies had that cheap B movie Jason Statham feel about them. Event Horizon in hindsight was probably just a fluke.

skull-splitter

While I like Event Horizon, I don't think it's a good film. At all. There are bizarre choices and it's looks over substance (like most 90's films and all of Anderson's films)

Stitch

Quote from: Highland on Jan 19, 2019, 02:35:11 AMEvent Horizon in hindsight was probably just a fluke.
Well, he also did Mortal Kombat, which is arguably the best video game adaptation of all time (in regards to following the game story, at least). The first Resident Evil movie wasn't too bad, either. After that, though...

skull-splitter

But was it truly a good film?

Huggs

I've yet to see it. I've been putting it off since I found out who directed it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed