PREDATOR Prequel Novel - Christopher Golden

Started by felix, Aug 04, 2016, 05:33:52 AM

Author
PREDATOR Prequel Novel - Christopher Golden (Read 56,590 times)

The Alien Predator

Oh, I get it now, thanks.

Engineer

Engineer

What ever happened to this? Is it still coming out?

Can't say I was too thrilled about the concept, but I was pleasantly surprised by similar efforts like alien isolation and out of the shadows. I was recently looking for a pre-order option on amazon but I can't find it anywhere... is it still too far out, or has this been cancelled or something?

Never mind the link on the first post says "cancelled"

Bummer

Sorry for the triple post... but I wonder if this story, or some version of it, will be in the anthology "if it bleeds"
I don't see Christopher Golden listed as an author in the anthology though, so doubtful probably...

Ultramorph

I wonder if the cancellation had anything to do with the reaction in this thread.

Russ840

Honestly the announcement of this book was the first time that I really didn't want something Alien or Predator. I think it sounded awful.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 29, 2017, 07:07:59 PM
I wonder if the cancellation had anything to do with the reaction in this thread.

I'm curious if the author had began writing when this was cancelled.

I remember when the Star Trek vs Aliens comics were cancelled before release, one of the artists had already began work on some concept covers and didn't even know about the cancellation until he saw the news on this forum.

Engineer

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 29, 2017, 07:21:26 PM
Honestly the announcement of this book was the first time that I really didn't want something Alien or Predator. I think it sounded awful.
I felt the same way about alien isolation. That has ended up being my favorite addition to the series aside from the original trilogy of alien films. Out of the shadows' audio drama was a close second to alien isolation too. I would have been willing to give it a chance, but if it had turned out bad my criticism would have been heavy. Haha.

The Alien Predator

I think the main criticism people had was not the idea behind the plot, but the fact that it messes with the first film.

If they had kept the idea:

* Rogue Predator being chased by Arbitrator across space and hides in a jungle on Earth.

* Arbitrator hunts Rogue who is killing humans in the jungle and kills the Rogue.

* Humans mistake Arbitrator for Rogue and attack him, forcing the alien to defend itself and take an opportunity for a little hunt since he's already on a hunting ground.

But with no connection to Arnold or the first film. It could be somewhere in South America, during a drug war. Or it could even be on a topical jungle like South China Sea was, there's lots of jungles to pick from and conflicts with various human factions involved. It could even have been 'Nam where the Rogue attacks Viet Cong and American soldiers.

The Arbitrator could just destroy the Rogue via its self destruct and then be mistaken not due to "taking his gear back", but simply due to looking non-human and being attacked because his description would match the Rogue. How would the human characters tell it apart from the Rogue due to its otherworldly appearance? They won't care, they see Mr. Tall n' Scary and they attack it lol.

That was another gripe about the plot of the novel, Rogue and Anytime would have a virtually identical appearance in basically every way. While if this had no connection to the film, our imaginations would be able to fill in the descriptions of Rogue and Arbitrator.

Engineer

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Mar 29, 2017, 08:28:36 PM
I think the main criticism people had was not the idea behind the plot, but the fact that it messes with the first film.

* Rogue Predator being chased by Arbitrator across space and hides in a jungle on Earth.

* Arbitrator hunts Rogue who is killing humans in the jungle and kills the Rogue.

* Humans mistake Arbitrator for Rogue and attack him, forcing the alien to defend itself and take an opportunity for a little hunt since he's already on a hunting ground.

But with no connection to Arnold or the first film. It could be somewhere in South America, during a drug war. Or it could even be on a topical jungle like South China Sea was, there's lots of jungles to pick from and conflicts with various human factions involved. It could even have been 'Nam where the Rogue attacks Viet Cong and American soldiers.

The Arbitrator could just destroy the Rogue via its self destruct and then be mistaken not due to "taking his gear back", but simply due to looking non-human and being attacked because his description would match the Rogue. How would the human characters tell it apart from the Rogue due to its otherworldly appearance? They won't care, they see Mr. Tall n' Scary and they attack it lol.

That was another gripe about the plot of the novel, Rogue and Anytime would have a virtually identical appearance in basically every way. While if this had no connection to the film, our imaginations would be able to fill in the descriptions of Rogue and Arbitrator.
Unless rogue was never shown in the movie... perhaps the idea was to imply rogue was always cloaked and we never saw the predator decloaked until the switch was made... just a thought. I'd have to go back and read the original synopsis to see if that was possible based on the story that was implied... but nah... no need to worry much about it now that it's cancelled...

Russ840

I just listened to the Out of the Shadows audio drama. I thought it was great. Work as a good alternate sequel to alien.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 29, 2017, 08:40:43 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Mar 29, 2017, 08:28:36 PM

Unless rogue was never shown in the movie... perhaps the idea was to imply rogue was always cloaked and we never saw the predator decloaked until the switch was made... just a thought. I'd have to go back and read the original synopsis to see if that was possible based on the story that was implied... but nah... no need to worry much about it now that it's cancelled...

That could have possibly worked, the Predator did spend a lot of time cloaked in the beginning.

Engineer

Engineer

Out of curiosity, if it turns out that was the case... our fabled 2nd predator was cloaked the whole time in the movie and we never actually saw any predator until after the switch... would you have been more on board with the idea?

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 29, 2017, 10:01:09 PM
I just listened to the Out of the Shadows audio drama. I thought it was great. Work as a good alternate sequel to alien.
Agreed... although I'm pretty sure it's held as "cannon" rather than alternate. I'm ok with this. They handled it well in my opinion.

Xenomrph

I didn't realize this book had been canceled until I checked this thread just now.

Engineer

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 30, 2017, 02:32:26 AM
I didn't realize this book had been canceled until I checked this thread just now.
I just realized it today too

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I just sent a tweet over to Christopher Golden about it, maybe he'll have some insight.

Just got a reply, "it was never approved and should not have been announced before it was."

https://twitter.com/ChristophGolden/status/847279688288358400

So it looks like the book was dead on arrival.

The Alien Predator

Oh, well damn. I wonder how this got leaked out like that if it wasn't approved.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed