HELIOS

Started by Dingbat, Oct 25, 2019, 12:26:26 PM

Author
HELIOS (Read 4,690 times)

Dingbat

Dingbat

Hello everyone,

I have started working on a fan film called HELIOS.

It's the story of a family who go on a deep space cruise and their encounter with a Xenomoph, it is set around the same time as Alien Resurrection, perhaps a year or so earlier. I intend for it to be in black and white like the old Doctor Who stories from before colour TV.

The first draft of the script is done, I need to rewrite a few scenes to make it flow better and I should also ease off the Alien quotes a little, I feel like it's about 1,5 of them per minute atm.

This is going to take a hell of a long time to finish, given that I plan to design the backgrounds in Blender and use a green screen. I've started working on a gun from the film.

I mainly need to buy some glue and a compas and that shouldn't take as long to finish.

For the Alien I'm going to be using the Neca Aliens ultimate Warrior.

I'll be using stopmotion for this and I intend to show it as little as possible so that people notice less that it's just a 9 inch action figure.

I'll mainly be posting here when there's actually something to show you all, for example when the gun is done.

Thanks.

Dingbat

Dingbat

Hello everyone,

This is still being worked on, but life has, as it often does, gotten in the way a bit.

Here's the gun so far, needs a bit more work done, then I'll fix it a little with the knife, then it'll be ready for painting.

Dingbat

Dingbat

Hey!
It's been quite a while but here is the gun.

Spoiler

[close]

It isn't quite the right colour, I bought a spray can of Citadel Leadbelcher, the can has about 3 different shades of silver on it but I'm quite happy with the outcome.

I'm currently learning blender, it's quite hard but I'm enjoying it so far.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Oh nice! That looks pretty sweet!

SiL

SiL

What's the gun based on? Looks like it's the AR timeline?

Dingbat

Dingbat

Yes, it's based off the guns in Alien Resurrection. It was quite a challenge to make because I had lots of trouble finding the right dimensions online

thexenomorphfanboy

thexenomorphfanboy

Thats so cool! i love fan films and I love sharing peoples fan films, so send me a link once it is complete and i'll write a review and post it on this forum.(as i did with a fan film called Alien Life And Death https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=63395.0, video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkpy1B2Yp8s&t=16s).
Will the fan film be stop motion xenomorphs' composted into live action sequences? or will everything be stop motion?

If you will be compositing Stop Motion into Live action, I recommend you watch these short films (predator soldier of war) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3h7DczfP-s&t=7s , (final termination) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpSG0xxsJOM and (the making of final termination) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7mnmCNG4wI

Dingbat

Dingbat

Thank you, that's very kind.
I'll watch those and compare them to what I've got planned.

Dingbat

Dingbat

Hello, happy Alien day everybody,

I thought I'd share all the concept art I've been drawing, I'm no artist but they should help you get a better idea of what the finished project should look like.

Here is the main ship, I coloured it in but it will still be black and white in the end, I'm aiming for a more cylinder shape that I drew here, it's kind of a deep space speedboat/yacht.

Here is the bridge, most screens and buttons will have a use, there'll also be a chair but I didn't know how to draw that properly.

Here is one of the bedrooms, the window at the end was meant to be circular, the bed is down on the right, the floor is meant to be made up of those wallpaddings on the Nostromo but flatter.

Here is how the corridors will look, complete with a bin, the ovals are lamps.

The small dining room has lovely headrests and an automatic food dispenser like in red dwarf.

And here we have the Cargo ship that they find adrift in space, the small ship pulling it along is meant to be roughly the same size as the Helios
The guns on top are to dissuade any pirates that may be flying around.

What does everyone think? If there's an aspect that everyone dislikes then I'll happily change the designs.
I might draw some more, I'm going to find a computer that doesn't have trouble running literally every piece of software imaginable then I'll get to work making all the stuff.

Dingbat

Dingbat

Hello,

I would like some advice, several months ago, I bought a modern, more expensive camera for this project and for all my future film projects, however, my grandfather was recently searching through his stuff and found a Super 8 camera that he had forgotten about.

My plan is to make the ship Dark as I can, avoiding however the AVPR level of darkness, in order to hide the fact that it might not look too realistic, A Super 8 camera could help to that effect with its' lower picture quality, is that a good idea or should I just keep to the modern camera?

Thanks.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I personally wouldn't recommend that. If you need to obscure the set or location to hide its true nature, the best way to do that is lighting(Using filters, reflectors, lights that point at specific sections but obscure others. Original Star Trek overcame a lot of its budget limitations by splashing color from lights onto walls to give them more life, for example.)

Using a Super 8 camera is going to impede limitations on film stock, the potential issues in transferring from Super 8 to a Digital format to edit. Etc... Any, even low consumer grade camera, is going to provide you more flexibility.

SiL

SiL

Your Super 8 is also not going to be as light-sensitive as your digital camera, so you'd be more likely to run into AvPR levels of darkness.

Dingbat

Dingbat

Hello everyone,

This project isn't dead, in fact it's far from it, I've completed the Blender Guru Donut tutorial and afterwards, I made the outside of the ship:

I still need to add lots of little bits of detail, then give it textures, lights and so on but this is the basic shape.

See you soon,

Dingbat.

Dingbat

Dingbat

Good evening,

Here's  the outside of the ship, I think it's about done, it'll be in black and white when it's in the final product though.

I'm just modelling a Dalek for another project then I'll start working on the inside. If you want pictures showing the back or the other exhausts "firing" then I'll get them for you.

See you soon,

Dingbat.

Dingbat

Dingbat

Good afternoon,

it's been a while, and I've made some progress, I guess it's likely to take time when you have to learn every part before actually making it.

Here are some pictures:

The main ship, with slightly better materials.

Here is a totally innocent abandoned cargo ship which they come across.

Here is a water planet, apparently there are some in the alien Universe, I don't know any names though, so if anyone can help me out there, I'd be greatful.

Next up are some pictures of rooms inside the main ship, they still need materials sadly:

There are several other rooms, here they are all together:

I'm intending to get some Nerf attachments and stick them on the rifle, it isn't "Canon" but they did the same in ACM and I felt like it worked then, hopefully it'll make the prop seem more real if I have it out of focus most of the time.
Spoiler
[close]

Also, here are some pictures from a recent attempt of mine to see whether I could hide the fact that the Xeno is just an action figure:

See you soon,

Dingbat.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed