Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 21, 2019, 12:49:19 AM

Author
Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well? (Read 41,815 times)

Master

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 02, 2019, 04:31:09 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 02, 2019, 03:53:18 PM
There's some shots of Scar where he looks pretty lithe too.

Really Scar? I though his armor looked the bulkiest of them all. And those huge dreads didn't help on his design. The ones in the flashback were fine.

Quote from: Master on Apr 02, 2019, 09:03:19 AM
Ahhh, as always I have to say it. It's better to have additional armour when dealing with three meters of claws, teeth, sharp tail and corrosive blood. Same with weaponry, you want to have as much distance as possible.

They didn't had much armor covering their thighs though, Anytime and Wolf had more protection on their thighs than the AVP predators. Issue isn't the additional armor but the design, looked generic and kind of fake.

Comics and games showed better examples of how heavily armored predators should look, and they kept their athletic moves on it.

https://samhain13home.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/b-4.png?w=556&h=535

https://www.electricferret.com/static/images/cbub/cbub_contender_image/5/5254/8310.jpg

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/0/04/AvP2AncientPred.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/350?cb=20140201001434

I don't remember about people complaining that those other Predators looked fat or dumb.

Comparing old video game (I love it) and comic books can't be compared to live action film.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Yeah but if they had went with an armor design similar to those in the EU I don't think people would have complained as much.

We can use the example of a more heavily armored Predator from another movie:

The chest armor provides greater protection like the ones in AVP but its original, baddass and not too bulky looking. The Predator still looks like a Predator despite the increased amount of armor.

It would have been better for them to hire Stan Winston instead. He could reused the P2 clan on the movie instead of making a whole new one.

Voodoo Magic

Master

Master

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 02, 2019, 06:57:51 PM
Yeah but if they had went with an armor design similar to those in the EU I don't think people would have complained as much.

We can use the example of a more heavily armored Predator from another movie:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/0/0c/Lost_Predator.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/323?cb=20101221073341

The chest armor provides greater protection like the ones in AVP but its original, baddass and not too bulky looking. The Predator still looks like a Predator despite the increased amount of armor.

It would have been better for them to hire Stan Winston instead. He could reused the P2 clan on the movie instead of making a whole new one.

They did go head with heavier version of P1 armour. Can't say really if a different heavy predator armour would have been better. He have nothing to compare to. I  like Borg's suit, but it's more in line with The Predator medium protection, then heavy AvP suit.

City Hunter Yautja

I rewatched it last night and yes its aged well. The effects, creatures, sets, and even story look as good as if made today.

I will say I have become a major Scar fan again. His ability to convey thoughts, and emotion in biomask are unparalleled.

The Cruentus

Sorry to necropost but I have been out of the loop in awhile and I need to catch up lol

Anyway, while AVP was never the best film, neither was it the worst. That dishonour goes to the sequel Requiem and that joke called  The Predator.

The cgi has aged fairly well in some places of AVP,  the shot of Grid standing up and flicking its acid at Celtic is a great shot. The concept of the story is not bad, though I feel it should have been off earth. The character developing is lacking and lore is broken as well but even with its flaws I do have a soft spot for this movie. Even the better executed prequels doesn't change my opinion of it, in fact I would say AVP was less lore breaking/altering than Prometheus and Covenant and it did try to loosely follow the comics.

Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 26, 2019, 12:48:19 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 26, 2019, 10:25:30 AM
Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 25, 2019, 11:51:14 PM
Do Alien movies really need gore though?

I see people picking AVP-R over AVP because it was gorier. But is that really what makes it better?

Aliens are born from exploding out of peoples chests, then bite people in the head.

Predators cause carnage with their lasers and rip peoples spines out.

Yes, they do need a certain level of gore.

You don't have to show the impact of the headbiting.

Most of the first three Alien movies are a (relatively) bloodless affair, except for one or two scenes. Things got gorey with Resurrection, AVP-R and Covenant. Prometheus doesn't have a lot of bloody scenes either.

Predator is a different story though, but the Alien movies never were about showing as much gore as possible.

The first alien film had plenty of gore, it actually shocked quite a few people back in the day. The second movie showed just the same amount of gore. The alien movies just knew when it appropriate, unlike AVPR.

Requiem was over- compensating for the pg-13 rating of the first film, so they thought visibly killing children and pregnant women would be a good idea.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 27, 2021, 12:45:53 PM
and that joke called  The Predator.

Beware of the Kradan...

Kradan

Nah, I may like The Predator but that movie hardly takes itself seriously

The Cruentus

The film would have worked as a spoof/parody but it doesn't as a "canon" entry to the franchise, same with Resurrection.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: happypred on Jan 25, 2022, 01:30:46 AM
They really softened the predator face in AvP

P1 and P2

Masterpieces...

Master

I'm currently watching AvP in local tv and the synopsis is outstanding: Antarctica. Sebastian (Raoul Bova) and other participants of scientific expedition organised by billionaire Weyland (Lance Henriksen), unknowingly awakens queen of aliens from hibernation. Team gets involved into a battle between Aliens and Predators.

No mention of Lex  :laugh:

BlueMarsalis79

With every year this looks more and more utterly toothless.

(Bad Blood)

It really has not aged well at all. The CGI especially.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed