Did we really want this?

Started by Nukiemorph, Jun 07, 2017, 09:59:44 PM

Author
Did we really want this? (Read 12,124 times)

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

I personally love Alien3 and don't want a movie to retcon it, but that's another debate that's been discussed to death.

What I'm concerned about is this picture:

This gives me the impression that the company would finally get a hold of the aliens and successfully weaponize them.  Surely, they'd break out at some point and wreak havoc, but still.  The idea of the aliens ever being tamed in the first place doesn't sit well with me.

EDIT: My bad.  This one wasn't done by Neill.

Then there's this:

Is that some kind of disguise?  That reminds me of:

The idea of being able to fool an alien with a disguise doesn't sit well with me either.  But his notes say it's a space jockey pilot suit?  Would this movie have conflicted with Prometheus and establish a different history between the engineers/jockeys and the aliens?  Why would their space helmets resemble alien heads?  Wiping out 3 and Resurrection is bad enough.  It would be really irritating if this contradicted Scott's prequels too.  I hate it when franchises get muddy with alternate continuities, (like Halloween and Texas Chainsaw).

It's also possible that some of these were just fun doodles for him and they weren't really going to play into the script.

If this movie never happens, I really hope he at least releases his treatment so we can have an idea of what the story would have been.  Perhaps he could give it to Dark Horse for a comic book adaptation.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: necrotard on Jun 07, 2017, 09:59:44 PM
I personally love Alien3 and don't want a movie to retcon it, but that's another debate that's been discussed to death.

What I'm concerned about is this picture:

This gives me the impression that the company would finally get a hold of the aliens and successfully weaponize them.  Surely, they'd break out at some point and wreak havoc, but still.  The idea of the aliens ever being tamed in the first place doesn't sit well with me.

Then there's this:

Is that some kind of disguise?  That reminds me of:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/7/7d/0017449_vintage_kenner_aliens_atax_marine_action_figure_370.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20160217223602

The idea of being able to fool an alien with a disguise doesn't sit well with me either.  But his notes say it's a space jockey pilot suit?  Would this movie have conflicted with Prometheus and establish a different history between the engineers/jockeys and the aliens?  Why would their space helmets resemble alien heads?  Wiping out 3 and Resurrection is bad enough.  It would be really irritating if this contradicted Scott's prequels too.  I hate it when franchises get muddy with alternate continuities, (like Halloween and Texas Chainsaw).

It's also possible that some of these were just fun doodles for him and they weren't really going to play into the script.

If this movie never happens, I really hope he at least releases his treatment so we can have an idea of what the story would have been.  Perhaps he could give it to Dark Horse for a comic book adaptation.

Looks bad.

Sigourney looks in her early 50s in those paintings.

Sigourney is too old now for these ideas.

Jacku

Jacku

I thought that first picture wasn't a Neil Blomkamp piece?

The Ripley in the Alien suit is really cool looking to me. The idea of it as a disguise is interesting, maybe it's Space Jockey tech.  That might collide with the lore in the prequels but this would be an alternative universe anyway. Which to me doesn't hurt A3 and AR since they'll always be considered the OG alien sequels whether people like them or not. More Alien films the better!

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

My mistake.  Apparently the first picture is from an artist named Marek Okon.  Someone uploaded it to the IMDb page for Alien 5, so I assumed it was Neill's.

TWJones

TWJones

That first picture makes me think of Jurassic World and the raptors that have been "tamed" and "trained" and equipped with cameras.
Definitely not a good idea for a film...even if it was never on the table.

Rankles75

Rankles75

The whole "trained" alien concept was explored in Dark Horse's Nightmare Asylum story (didn't end well for General Spears). Don't know how well it would translate to a film...

Hughughug

Hughughug

I couldn't care less about 3 and Resurrection getting wiped out from the continuity, with all due respect with people who do like those movies.
As for not liking the franchise getting muddy or confusing...Scott himself muddied the waters with his Black Goo thing. And seems like his intent is to erase the continuity with Aliens et al anyway, unless we get a Queen or a hint of her in the third Prometheus/Alien movie he makes, so yeah.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Hughughug on Jun 09, 2017, 10:59:41 PM
I couldn't care less about 3 and Resurrection getting wiped out from the continuity, with all due respect with people who do like those movies.
As for not liking the franchise getting muddy or confusing...Scott himself muddied the waters with his Black Goo thing. And seems like his intent is to erase the continuity with Aliens et al anyway, unless we get a Queen or a hint of her in the third Prometheus/Alien movie he makes, so yeah.
Yeah, I am getting a tad worried that he might do away with queens and mess up the life-cycle/timeline.  To an extent, I understand another filmmaker wanting to go against Alien 3, but to go against ALIENS?  Surely if the Ten Commandments were written today, God would have included something in there against that...

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Well, speaking for myself, I don't want it. But if that's what they give us, I'd probably still watch it.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 10, 2017, 08:32:16 AM
Well, speaking for myself, I don't want it. But if that's what they give us, I'd probably still watch it.

Like you, I will watch any new Alien, Predator, AVP movie. (Or at least try to watch it; as I did with AVP-R.) :)

* As for continuity between the Alien movies, I'm a supporter of that.
- I do not want a Blomkamp movie which pushes out "Alien 3" and "Alien 4" from the timeline.
- And I would like Ridley with the other film makers of "Covenant" to come to their senses (imo) and go along with the novelization where David only recreates the xenomorphs which pretty much fixes canon continuity with that film.

;)

dHunter333

dHunter333

i wanted this...bad
i wanted space marines, pulse rifles, and aliens...one more time
i wanted sigourney weaver, michael bein...one last time...PLEASE

i also realized it has strong potential to suck and bomb...

i LOVED the pictures with the company recovering the old derelict and stuff...SO good
i thought the aliens under control was an official picture attached to alien 5...
i had mixed feelings on that...but it would be ok...as long as the aliens could not truely be tamed
ripley fooling the aliens...seems incredibly stupid...but then again...alien 3 and res had some really stupid stuff too, it MIGHT be ok...it might be something totally different too

i'd still love to see a sequel to alien 3 without ripley if we had to with colonial marines and weyland yutani...

i wanted this bad...and have been wanting this since like 1986 (ok i was 2 then so maybe a little later)
i remember seeing alien 3 in theaters and it was NOT what i wanted...
there is no way of making this and not erasing 3 and 4 without making them company mind experiments or something...which would still essentially wipe them out
i was down with *alternate* cannon since i wanted to see it so bad but...it'll never be
i felt like it was too good to be true
a fan boys dream
but i see the potential in it completely sucking...but it could also really be good if done right

windebieste

windebieste

It's still entirely possible to make EXACTLY what you want - but without Ripley.  It doesn't have to be a retcon, either.

There's nothing stopping Fox from greenlighting a movie that features a Marines vs Aliens scenario that will keep just about everyone happy.  The problem comes when people want everything.  You're not going to get it. 

There's no reason why another colony can't be infected and the USCM are sent to clean up the mess.  It just doesn't even need Ripley, Hicks and Newt and it's not the path Fox took and we are stuck with it now.  It would have been great if such a movie was made instead of 'ALIEN 3', back in the early 1990's; but that's 25 years ago - a quarter of a Century has passed, already.  More since 'ALIENS'.

For all we know, Scott's next 'ALIEN' prequel will do just that, though.  I'd say it's a high likelihood considering the closing moments of 'ALIEN: Covenant'.   Fox need to pull their finger out and deliver such a crowd pleaser now.  They can do so within the current series of movies and feature military vs xenos.  It will just feature different characters.  That's where I think this series is headed.

-Windebieste.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 12, 2017, 03:50:52 AM
It's still entirely possible to make EXACTLY what you want - but without Ripley.  It doesn't have to be a retcon, either.

There's nothing stopping Fox from greenlighting a movie that features a Marines vs Aliens scenario that will keep just about everyone happy.  The problem comes when people want everything.  You're not going to get it. 

There's no reason why another colony can't be infected and the USCM are sent to clean up the mess.  It just doesn't even need Ripley, Hicks and Newt and it's not the path Fox took and we are stuck with it now.  It would have been great if such a movie was made instead of 'ALIEN 3', back in the early 1990's; but that's 25 years ago - a quarter of a Century has passed, already.  More since 'ALIENS'.

For all we know, Scott's next 'ALIEN' prequel will do just that, though.  I'd say it's a high likelihood considering the closing moments of 'ALIEN: Covenant'.   Fox need to pull their finger out and deliver such a crowd pleaser now.  They can do so within the current series of movies and feature military vs xenos.  It will just feature different characters.  That's where I think this series is headed.

-Windebieste.

I agree 100%.

I suggest:

Tom Hardy as the General of the Colonial Marines.

Tom Hardy and his Colonial Marines VERSUS Michael Fassbender and his Aliens.

Directed by Sir Ridley Scott.

If they want more money, maybe PG-13.

D. Compton Ambrose

-Windebieste.

I don't think Covenant performed well enough, unfortunately. We may get a soft-reboot after all.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on Jun 13, 2017, 09:32:24 PM

-Windebieste.

I don't think Covenant performed well enough, unfortunately. We may get a soft-reboot after all.

Soft Reboot?.

With Who?.

If Covenant flopped, the most logical result is FOX cancelling ALL Alien movies for the next few years.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed