Pathogen - New Campaign

Started by Kailem, Jun 10, 2022, 04:04:49 PM

Author
Pathogen - New Campaign (Read 35,927 times)

Kailem

Kailem

Neomorph variants confirmed; and one step closer to actual Engineers!

Samhain13

Samhain13

Okay that is better than what we got in previous updates.

Kailem

Kailem

I just saw in the article on the homepage that it's going to be a paid expansion though.... :(

In this day and age - and with a niche game that still doesn't have crossplay nearly a year on from release - I'm not sure paid map content is the best idea when it comes to not splitting up an already likely fairly small player base.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

I always kind of expected it would be, and I'm betting we eventually get at least two more campaigns for the game. Pala Station has already been teased and I'm guessing that's the next one.

I've said it many times but I really don't consider this game too dependent on a constantly active large player-base, but there should be enough of a spike to find players around new content. We still have Season 4 coming and I'm hoping the feature included with that one is crossplay, which they've said they'd like to add.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Lack of SP gameplay was my major gripe, and while I still believe it should've been a longer campaign overall, it was twenty dollars cheaper than a typical release for the PS5 so I cut it some slack.

I'll support this release because I think with a bigger budget and staff they could release a very solid sequel in three or four years time. 

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Not stoked about it being paid.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 10, 2022, 05:01:04 PMLack of SP gameplay was my major gripe, and while I still believe it should've been a longer campaign overall, it was twenty dollars cheaper than a typical release for the PS5 so I cut it some slack.

I'll support this release because I think with a bigger budget and staff they could release a very solid sequel in three or four years time. 

$30 cheaper these days...

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Jun 10, 2022, 04:50:45 PMI just saw in the article on the homepage that it's going to be a paid expansion though.... :(

In this day and age - and with a niche game that still doesn't have crossplay nearly a year on from release - I'm not sure paid map content is the best idea when it comes to not splitting up an already likely fairly small player base.

100% Agree Kailem. I doubt the majority will sink more cash into this where the game already felt like a brief experience, or even an incomplete one.. which will ultimately make the playerbase even more sparse for the new missions. Like Predator Hunting Grounds, Cold Iron imo should charge for the cosmetics and dlc characters - cool - but new maps and corresponding missions? Come on...

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

SP expansions have almost always been paid content.  This even goes back to the old Primal Hunt days. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Give me paid DLC over nickel and diming the playerbase any day.

I'm VERY STRONGLY in favour of this model over that garbage.

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 10, 2022, 05:46:06 PMSP expansions have almost always been paid content.  This even goes back to the old Primal Hunt days. 

Yeah, but that's just it; that was the old days. Paid map content for multiplayer games hasn't been a thing since around 2015, because people realised that all it was doing was segregating the player base, and likely publishers and devs realised they weren't making as much money off the later releases because less and less people were sticking around and paying for every new map pack that came out.

That's why we saw pretty much the entire industry switch to a "maps are free, cosmetics are paid" model round about 2016 or so, with "battle passes" becoming the new norm because they encouraged players to keep playing the game for longer periods of time if they wanted new rewards (many of which were free, but even the paid ones required player retention).

And with more and more games switching to longer-term "live service"-type models, player retention is what it's all about these days. Paid single player DLC is still a thing sure, but it's actually a little jarring to see paid multiplayer maps for a game in 2022. Definitely not something I expected at all.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

To be juvenile for a minute.

f**k battlepasses.

f**k the new norm.

I'm only annoyed that it comes out at the end of August, right before I return to education.

Kailem

Kailem

Oh you'll find no objections from me there. The nickle and diming bs we have to suffer through with many of today's games can suck it.

But the one good thing that's come from it is that the biggest content for 99% of multiplayer games (ie. maps and characters) is usually free as a result. So as someone who usually avoids spending anything on the vast majority of the cosmetics those games shovel out, it kinda sucks knowing I'll probably have to shell out £20 or so to play something I was expecting would be free.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

I certainly feel like I've gotten my money's worth already. Hoping it's not $20 though that would be a bit much. And hopefully the game mode in Season 4 is substantial. That's the thing, the meat of four seasons has been free, with a bunch of new weapons included. All of this has been free:

At this point I don't think it's unreasonable to have a paid campaign chapter, but I totally understand folks not feeling as I do.

More details on this from the Steam Page:

"The Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Pathogen DLC has arrived! Continue the AFE story with new environments, maps, cosmetics and a campaign that puts the crew of the Endeavor into their most perilous mission yet.

A mysterious pathogen has evolved in the wilds of planet LV-895 and not even Xenomorphs are safe from its ravages. The crew of the Endeavor must venture into uncharted lands and face terrifying new enemies if they hope to discover the source of this mysterious new threat.

The mysterious pathogen is mutating Xenomorphs and local wildlife on planet LV-895. It's up to you and your fireteam to battle through a slew of mutated enemies and eliminate the source of the corruption.

The Pathogen expansion brings all new environments, maps, weapons, and more to the AFE experience. Explore Engineer ruins around the mystery of the infection, delve deep into enemy hives, and avoid the deadly hazards around each corner. Do you have what it takes to survive?

INCLUDED IN THIS EXPANSION
The all new Pathogen campaign, complete with 3 new missions
8 New Weapons, 2 for each weapon type
1 New Perk for each Class Kit
26 New Weapon Attachments
2 New Outfits (for all 7 Class Kits)
6 Head Accessories
21 New Weapon Colors
9 Decals
10 New Emotes

Note: Some of this content must be earned through the game and won't immediately be granted upon purchase."

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jun 10, 2022, 06:56:35 PMI certainly feel like I've gotten my money's worth already. Hoping it's not $20 though that would be a bit much. And hopefully the game mode in Season 4 is substantial. That's the thing, the meat of four seasons has been free, with a bunch of new weapons included. All of this has been free:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPXGS1IWUAEtSwg?format=jpg&name=large

A lot of that stuff though would have been an incredibly hard sell to charge for (loadouts, stats, weapon attachments, challenge cards etc.). And I'd honestly forgotten about point defence I've played it so little, but yeah I guess by that measure alone there's been a little bit more content over the past year than I remembered there being. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed