William Gibson's Alien 3 - Audio Drama - 2019

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 19, 2019, 02:10:54 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 - Audio Drama - 2019 (Read 40,396 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I was actually expecting more "the X we should've got" surrounding the reviews for it,
but a pleasant surprise it is that this is the first time I've actually encountered the sentiment.

Stitch

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 02, 2019, 11:18:58 PM
I was actually expecting more "the X we should've got" surrounding the reviews for it,
but a pleasant surprise it is that this is the first time I've actually encountered the sentiment.
I still prefer the Alien 3 that was released in 1992, but I'm very glad that this has had both a comic and audiobook release. It's had a lot more love given to it than I'd have expected from Fox.

Local Trouble

Maybe Captain Obvious here, but...

Spoiler
Given the time of its writing, it just occurred to me that the outbreak on Rodina station was likely inspired by Chernobyl.
[close]

SM

Hadn't considered that, but probably. 

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 03, 2019, 07:12:03 AM
Maybe Captain Obvious here, but...

Spoiler
Given the time of its writing, it just occurred to me that the outbreak on Rodina station was likely inspired by Chernobyl.
[close]

I reckon it's more an (un)Happy Coinky-Dink...

...besides, the REAL mutation wasn't on Rodina...

Prez

Just finished listening to it. I really enjoyed it - I would've loved a longer runtime (given how spoilt we were with Magg's other productions) but this for me complimented the comic so well. It cleared up a bit of the confusion I felt reading the comic as well.

Great to hear Mike and Lance again too.

Nostromo

Nostromo

I'm really liking the audible while I'm waiting for the TPB. This had a nice tone and world building potential kind of like Isolation/Defiance/Resistance has now. Just 25 years earlier. Pretty cool stuff, I wonder if this story could have expanded or did it feel a bit too much like Star Trek with the factions to the producers then?

Really liking the voice overs, all voices actually, and that subtle background sound/music. Really well done audible. 1/3 done only, trying not to finish it so fast.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Interesting take on this. Loved the voice overs and story. Setting was excellent, characters were ok too.

Spoiler
I didn't like the touch this and you're infected concept. Interesting how much it resembles Covenant in that aspect. I mean the way infection spreads is too much like a Zombie/Res Evil or The Thing movie.

It completely changes the whole Alien concept.. Had it just had normal Aliens abducting people and transforming them via facehuggers it would have been better I thought. Since there was no Alien queen, eggmorphing could have been used brilliantly here.

But I guess there's no action involved with that so bring out the hybrid crap.

Well this gets a nice 7.5/10 but much higher if again
..no hybrids. Hybrids are the lazy way out.
[close]

Stitch

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 09, 2019, 01:17:59 PM
Interesting take on this. Loved the voice overs and story. Setting was excellent, characters were ok too.

Spoiler
I didn't like the touch this and your infected concept. Interesting how much it resembles Covenant in that aspect. I mean the way infection spreads is too much like a Zombie/Res Evil or The Thing movie.

It completely changes the whole Alien concept.. Had it just had normal Aliens abducting people and transforming them via facehuggers it would have been better I thought. Since there was no Alien queen, eggmorphing could have been used brilliantly here.

But I guess there's no action involved with that so bring out the hybrid crap.

Well this gets a nice 7.5/10 but much higher if again
..no hybrids. Hybrids are the lazy way out.
[close]
Spoiler
It did have a normal alien. The one on the UPP ship is a normal one.

The whole point of the 'infection' was because it was genetically modified by scientists at anchorpoint.

If you didn't like it, it, won't change that, but it at least there's a reason behind it, and it isn't trying to replace the original.
[close]

Nostromo

Nostromo

Ok that makes good sense.
Spoiler
Messing around with that dna should cause that. Must have fallen asleep and missed that part when continuing. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll probably listen to it again at some point.
[close]

Fox might have thought it was a risky pitch back in the day?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Stitch on Jun 09, 2019, 08:18:18 PM
Spoiler
It did have a normal alien. The one on the UPP ship is a normal one.

The whole point of the 'infection' was because it was genetically modified by scientists at anchorpoint.
[close]

Spoiler
I've not listened to much of the drama yet, but from my memory of the script the opposite is actually said - the U.P.P. tinker with the Aliens they breed on Rodina and they're specifically described as being altered because of it. Conversely it's never said the Anchorpoint crew are similarly messing with their DNA, merely studying it. Instead the Aliens there suddenly develop this airborne pathogen reproductive cycle seemingly on their own.

The only O.G. Alien in the story is the one on the Sulaco, that comes out of Kurtz, then later gets on Anchorpoint and has the showdown with the "newbreed" Alien at the end.

Of course, maybe they changed all that in the drama.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Darkness

Managed to listen to the first half hour a while back and like you, I was a bit puzzled about the recap intro.

But it's good that they've done something as obscure as this. Definitely for the hardcore fans.

Huggs

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 13, 2019, 01:40:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGgCodGkWl4

And my review: https://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/william-gibsons-alien-3-audio-drama/

Spoiler
f**king loved it.
[close]

Two of the best, doing their thing.

Michael still sounds so youthful. It really helps sell a story taking place right after the film. And that Lance H. voice power. I could listen to the guy read a cookbook all day.

A big thank you to everyone involved with this. I can't wait to listen to it.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 13, 2019, 08:37:17 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 13, 2019, 01:40:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGgCodGkWl4

And my review: https://www.avpgalaxy.net/literature/reviews/william-gibsons-alien-3-audio-drama/

Spoiler
f**king loved it.
[close]

Two of the best, doing their thing.

Michael still sounds so youthful. It really helps sell a story taking place right after the film. And that Lance H. voice power. I could listen to the guy read a cookbook all day.

I'd pay for that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed