Which 'Canon' do you prefer?

Started by Kenner_Alien_Kaste, Nov 20, 2022, 03:00:55 AM

Which 'Canon' do you prefer?

"Pre-Prometheus" (ALIEN, ALIENS,  ALIEN 3, ALIEN RESURRECTION, and applicable supplementary material pre-Prometheus)
14 (23%)
"Expanded Universe" (Toylines, Comics, Novels, Anything set within the 'ALIEN' IP including unmade films)
1 (1.6%)
AVP Canon (AVP, AVP Requiem, and applicable sources/materials)
3 (4.9%)
"New Canon" (ALIEN 1-4, PROMETHEUS, ALIEN COVENANT, Isolation, Alien The Cold Forge, Alien The Roleplaying Game, etc)
16 (26.2%)
"Anything Goes" (Pick and choose/Personal preference)
27 (44.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author
Which 'Canon' do you prefer? (Read 10,233 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I prefer my canon.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Quote from: SiL on Dec 05, 2022, 08:28:05 PMThat any of it happened.

The movies provide the situational elements necessary for Isolation to exist. That's all the support the game needs, imo.

Unless I've missed a contradiction between game and film that makes the events of Isolation impossible?

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 06, 2022, 01:18:22 AMThe very existence of Amanda Ripley has issues in the context of Alien 1979, Isolation itself unto itself, does not.

What are those issues?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The idea of Ripley having a kid itself's a retrofit, that changes the character into something else entirely so Aliens' narrative functions, and boxes the character into a gender role and arguably changes the class that previously Ridley Scott made deliberate choices about that have since been retconned.

Amanda Ripley having a tussle with an Alien in-between films' small potatoes in comparison to the retcons upon Ripley already widely accepted by filmgoers.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Idk. Just going by the film, it's no stretch for me to think any of the Nostromo crewmembers sans Ash had kids.

Aliens' narrative functions with or without Amy, as proven by the theatrical cut. Ripley is the same person making the same choices.

littlesprout

Prometheus, Alien Covenant, Alien, Alien Isolation, Aliens, Alien 3 (Some comics included as well)

I've grown to appreciate Alien 3 but think they could have definitely chosen elsewhere to go with that story, but concludes the Alien(s) Characters story so have to include it.

Honestly didn't have a problem with Alien Isolation, that would have made a better Alien 3 than what we got in my opinion (leaping back in time).

Overall I feel like these movies just opened to many doors for other directors feeling the need to "leave their stamp" so to speak. Which caused a great divide and why they continued to stray away from the original theme or creature designs (in both franchises).

And if we had to talk about the counter part

Prey, Predator, Predator 2

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kelgaard on Dec 07, 2022, 11:38:29 AMThe movies provide the situational elements necessary for Isolation to exist. That's all the support the game needs, imo.
It requires trite conspiracies to make sure Amanda can discover a major Alien infestation, get picked up after surviving it - and nobody speaks of it ever again.

It's not "impossible" to fit it and I never said it was, but only with some lazy hand waving.

BlueMarsalis79

Does it? How so?

PAS Spinelli

or maybe Amanda dies after it and the story is covered up by WY because the sequels to the game from the comics are no longer canon, at this point it's up to interpretation

SiL

SiL

If she dies then that contradicts what we hear in Aliens.

Which  would also require a trite conspiracy to sweep under the rug to make it work. "Burke is lying", "WY covered it up", whatever, it's all the same.

If she survives and tells people you need a conspiracy to cover it up. If she dies you need a conspiracy to connect it to the movies.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Yeah it was kind of retcon to the life that we presumed Amanda in Aliens went through, which didn't include her fighting aliens, in comics was even worse cus you have her going vs WY while in Isolation is just an isolated thing. They thought using Ripley name would get more people to buy the game and wanted to tier it harder with the storyline and characters from the movies.

BlueMarsalis79

I don't see how it's any more of a conspiracy than the whole Nostromo incident being forgotten about or swept under the rug somewhere.

Maybe Amanda just kept what happened to herself, or Burke simply did not look into what Amanda may or may not have done in her youth, same shit different generation.

SiL

SiL

Except the part where SO937 is established as seedy underhanded business that resulted in the loss of a multimillion dollar vessel and its crew that someone would absolutely want to wipe their hands of.

But also "it's not much of a conspiracy" is not a great retort to "it requires a conspiracy".

BlueMarsalis79

Just like Special Order 939, and the disappearance of Sevastopol.

Only Sevastopol Station being decommissioned at the time, likely means the company overall would not care as much about what happened to it as much as the Nostromo, which had much more valuable cargo.

I'm not sure what your point's supposed to be honestly because it does not require a conspiracy of any kind.

SiL

SiL

My point is more than clear.

BlueMarsalis79

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed