The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 460,559 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Pre "The Final Season" Jon, Daenerys or Tyrion.

Good rulers all.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: kwisatz on May 17, 2019, 07:16:45 PM
Godfather is just the celluloid King in this league of subtle characterisation. Heres a sympathetic guy who at first view out of nothing commits to these in the beginning almost heroic and later horrendous ways to protect his family but then you realise that in the film its 1945 and the guy is introduced in his very first scene wearing a (i think even highly decorated?) military uniform. Hes the only one doing so at the wedding. Hes different. And thats almost all you need to know up to a point.

Here's the thing with comparing the characters Michael and Dany stacked next to each other. In hopes he's not offended I break our embargo, I reference Voodoo's stare and compare between Michael and Dany, which I give him props for a well thought out bullet list of comparisons.

That said, I don't know if I can say the "snap factor" is applicable to the Michael character. He did not at any critical point snap and became the Don, he went through a series of events Voodoo describes that evolved Michael to the Don. For a character to snap, it requires a minimum amount of leaping from previous behavioral norm. Without some sort of behavioral leap, it's not snapping, it's evolving.

A better comparison if one wanted to give an example how a character who snaps was written better than Dany's descent, she should be compared to a fictional character who did snap, or took a leap from previous behavioral norm, but the author handled it with better writing. At the moment, I can't think of such a fictional character example, but I don't think Michael is the character example I would use to show how a character snapping can be handled better. Surely an example exists if anyone can think of one.

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Old One on May 17, 2019, 07:55:54 PMPre "The Final Season" Jon, Daenerys or Tyrion.

Good rulers all.

Honestly, Sansa might be the best one left.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 17, 2019, 07:37:41 PMHow dare you fools overlook the brave and bold Janos Slynt!!  He has friends, powerful, important friends at court!  They will hear of this.  He will not have it, do you hear me?!  He will NOT have it!!

The true heir to Joffrey.

KILL THEM ALL! I COMMAND IT!

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Gendry/Arya in the south and Sansa/Tyrion in the north.  ;D

Houses Baratheon, Stark and Lannister will all be united by marriage.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 17, 2019, 07:51:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6HlEVR1jU

"Let's not pretend that we didn't see it coming"

We did see it coming.  Dany turning into the mad queen isn't the problem/  How Dany turns into the mad queen is the problem.  She's won the battle, the Greyjoy fleet is destroyed, the Golden Company have been annihilated, and the Lannister army has thrown their weapons down.  The bells are ringing, it is done.  If she were to fly to the Red Keep and destroy it, killing Cersei in the process, that's fine.  But no, for no reason at all, she decides to burn the people on the ground.  Why?  If they wanted her to be the mad queen, she should have just burned the city the moment she destroyed the scorpions, but because the people who write this show care more about shock value than story, we have to think she will show mercy, that she might just be flying towards the Red Keep to kill Cersei. 

There is literally a shot showing Drogon flying with the Red Keep in the centre of the shot.  But no, we have to have that 'Red Wedding' moment, that 'gotcha' moment don't we, and that is why her 'snap' makes absolutely no sense.  It doesn't matter about the seeds, or the red flags, the sudden 'snap' ruins all of that because nothing triggers this snap.  She's won.  It would make sense if Missandei was executed right then, or if Rhaegal was taken out by a remaining scorpion but they couldn't do that because they wasted both characters for two other 'shock' moments.

Local, I'm addressing the video, not you personally  :)

Quote from: Shasvre on May 17, 2019, 08:09:20 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 17, 2019, 07:37:41 PMHow dare you fools overlook the brave and bold Janos Slynt!!  He has friends, powerful, important friends at court!  They will hear of this.  He will not have it, do you hear me?!  He will NOT have it!!

The hero nobody asked for!  First of his name, master of hiding places, Warden of Greyguard, baldest head on the chopping block!

kwisatz

kwisatz

QuoteIf you showed me some psychological strife along the way. Night terrors. Nightmares of murder. Talking to herself in shadows. Her acting not like herself. Hearing voices. Delusions. Seeing people she killed haunt her. Ghosts of her Father or Brother taunt her. Pepper that throughout the last few seasons. Not too much, but just enough. But nope.

I totally get where your coming from and i dont think we have a huge conflict over the question if it hadn't been possible to flesh these things out a bit more, here or there. Lets say we agree to a point where this could've been the right story to be told about Daenrys T. but in your view it just doesn't work the way its actually been depicted in the show.

Now I think for me the sheer knowledge of all these things Dany got through in life is enough to attribute a fragile personality to her.  Sure the writers over the course of the show tended to lean towards a depiction of a more confident character, but again she was on a winning streak gathering more and more folks around her supporting her course, not only in action but ideologically.

And the main difference is she had the love of the people she felt destined to rule. Now if your just out there to rule the sheep and have your impeccable means of doing so that's not a big thing, but if your absolutely convinced and have built a huge  part of your personality on actually being perceived as a just ruler and then all of a sudden being confronted with a crowd that only sees you as the next usurper this stuff definitely could do things to yourself considering your personality is not exactly bulletproof and all your close friends and advisors are now visibly departing from you (i mean at least that is portrayed quite sufficient, isn't it?).

Historians tend to think that one of Hitlers main ambitions actually was to lift the german people to their full potential becoming the greatest nation there ever was (lol) and he massively identified himself with that purpose and justified a lot of the horror that he was unquestionably aware of. When inevitably the germans  started to lose on a big scale he didn't hesitate to condemn them harshly and would've rather seen them all die than living on as a defeated nation. I really have no doubt he himself would've ensured of killing them all if he would've had the means/devices to do so.

I really think if one was about to describe this snap situation in its entirety, one definitely has reflections of this kind to implement in the analysis. Theres some sense of mission going on with these leader type personalities that's hard to simulate in one's own average mind.

Local Trouble

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 17, 2019, 08:11:11 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 17, 2019, 07:51:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6HlEVR1jU

"Let's not pretend that we didn't see it coming"

We did see it coming.  Dany turning into the mad queen isn't the problem/  How Dany turns into the mad queen is the problem.  She's won the battle, the Greyjoy fleet is destroyed, the Golden Company have been annihilated, and the Lannister army has thrown their weapons down.  The bells are ringing, it is done.  If she were to fly to the Red Keep and destroy it, killing Cersei in the process, that's fine.  But no, for no reason at all, she decides to burn the people on the ground.  Why?  If they wanted her to be the mad queen, she should have just burned the city the moment she destroyed the scorpions, but because the people who write this show care more about shock value than story, we have to think she will show mercy, that she might just be flying towards the Red Keep to kill Cersei. 

There is literally a shot showing Drogon flying with the Red Keep in the centre of the shot.  But no, we have to have that 'Red Wedding' moment, that 'gotcha' moment don't we, and that is why her 'snap' makes absolutely no sense.  It doesn't matter about the seeds, or the red flags, the sudden 'snap' ruins all of that because nothing triggers this snap.  She's won.  It would make sense if Missandei was executed right then, or if Rhaegal was taken out by a remaining scorpion but they couldn't do that because they wasted both characters for two other 'shock' moments.

Local, I'm addressing the video, not you personally  :)

Quote from: Shasvre on May 17, 2019, 08:09:20 PM

The hero nobody asked for!  First of his name, master of hiding places, Warden of Greyguard, baldest head on the chopping block!

Couldn't have said it better ! Amen !

The Old One

The Old One

Anyone who wants more Charles Dance as a Tywin Lannister type character:

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 17, 2019, 07:57:23 PM
Quote from: kwisatz on May 17, 2019, 07:16:45 PM
Godfather is just the celluloid King in this league of subtle characterisation. Heres a sympathetic guy who at first view out of nothing commits to these in the beginning almost heroic and later horrendous ways to protect his family but then you realise that in the film its 1945 and the guy is introduced in his very first scene wearing a (i think even highly decorated?) military uniform. Hes the only one doing so at the wedding. Hes different. And thats almost all you need to know up to a point.

Here's the thing with comparing the characters Michael and Dany stacked next to each other. In hopes he's not offended I break our embargo, I reference Voodoo's stare and compare between Michael and Dany, which I give him props for a well thought out bullet list of comparisons.

That said, I don't know if I can say the "snap factor" is applicable to the Michael character. He did not at any critical point snap and became the Don, he went through a series of events Voodoo describes that evolved Michael to the Don. For a character to snap, it requires a minimum amount of leaping from previous behavioral norm. Without some sort of behavioral leap, it's not snapping, it's evolving.

A better comparison if one wanted to give an example how a character who snaps was written better than Dany's descent, she should be compared to a fictional character who did snap, or took a leap from previous behavioral norm, but the author handled it with better writing. At the moment, I can't think of such a fictional character example, but I don't think Michael is the character example I would use to show how a character snapping can be handled better. Surely an example exists if anyone can think of one.

I had a lenghty answer concerning Michael but PC crushed and im too tired to think straight. I'll try again tomorrow. Off the top of my head though:

Gollum for example kinda has the same arc I'm ascribing Dany here, i think. He did good for a while but is too fukked up in the end, in that betrayal scene he snaps back. Vaders arc is mirror-inverted, he snaps back into light in ROTJ.

Willard in Apo Now kinda snapped for a short period; i mean killing Kurtz been his goal from the start and hes military but he basically butchered him behaving like he was carrying out some sort of pseudo religious killing ritual. It was temporal though and he withstand the violence in the end (i guess), but i think one could argue he wasnt himself for quite a while after being interrogated brainwashed by Kurtz.

Pitt is snapping in Seven. Quite in character id say but not 100 percent necessary either. The film does quite good depicting the moment where internally hes on a knife edge. Hes emptying the full clip into spacey snapsnap not sure hes gonna recover luls--

Its the same with Dany though, I'm not arguing here shes a 100 percent determined to snap (that kinda goes against the whole concept anyway), but she did and thats fine for me at least.

From my point of view the thought of someone not being able to snap in a given moment is superficial any. The mind is a black box. If the writers found her path through life sufficient to justify a snap its hard to argue against, if philosophically you dont wanna take some kind of Hegelesque teleological position where A leads to D exclusively in case B and C happens. Her character wasnt destined determined to become anything, thats kinda the fun premise in a non mythical prosaic approach.

Its like in that Dark Knight Rises dialog between Batman and Robin, where the latter reveals he unmasked him from the first moment they met. As a child who lost his parents society thought Wayne had moved on, but he will always be the child looking down on his parents corpses, this isnt something you can discard, ever.

The Old One

The Old One

Smeagol/Gollum suffered under an unnaturally long life of 400 extra years though.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: The Old One on May 17, 2019, 10:50:42 PM
Smeagol/Gollum suffered under an unnaturally long life of 400 extra years though.

Smeagol the human snapped.

He was enjoying a day of fishing with his friend, both laughing it up while catching a fish, and that was before his unnaturally long life of 400 extra years. There were no prior signs that in an instant he would kill his own friend. He seemed very concerned that his friend fell in the water, quickly running to his aid once on shore. But once he saw the ring, and his friend refused to give it to him for his birthday, Smeagol snapped and murdered his friend.

However, Smeagol is not the character I was exactly looking for to compare to Dany. Smeagol the human, his character development stretches through only one 10(?) minute scene, whereas, viewers have invested considerably more viewing time in the Dany character.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 17, 2019, 11:14:04 PM
Quote from: The Old One on May 17, 2019, 10:50:42 PM

Smeagol the human snapped.

He was enjoying a day of fishing with his friend, both laughing it up while catching a fish, and that was before his unnaturally long life of 400 extra years. There were no prior signs that in an instant he would kill his own friend. He seemed very concerned that his friend fell in the water, quickly running to his aid once on shore. But once he saw the ring, and his friend refused to give it to him for his birthday, Smeagol snapped and murdered his friend.

However, Smeagol is not the character I was exactly looking for to compare to Dany. Smeagol the human, his character development stretches through only one 10(?) minute scene, whereas, viewers have invested considerably more viewing time in the Dany character.

Whats with Pitts character in Seven though? Hes about 98% the average good looking dude; now its been some time but i doubt Fincher bothered to lay out any significant "seeds" other than him being slightly hot-headed from time to time.

In the end it shows that practically anyone can snap in certain situations even if you did not got repeatedly raped by a horse lord (adds to the chance in my book though).

This whole movie is about snapping good albeit not ultimately realistic (so basically the same level as GoT):

Spoiler
[close]

And of course theres her, she might very well be GRRMs role model for Dany anyway:

Guess whats happening in the end --

Biomechanoid

Quote from: kwisatz on May 17, 2019, 11:28:09 PM
Whats with Pitts character in Seven though? Hes about 98% the average good looking dude; now its been some time but i doubt Fincher bothered to lay out any significant "seeds" other than him being slightly hot-headed from time to time.

In the end it shows that practically anyone can snap in certain situations even if you did not got repeatedly raped by a horse lord (adds to the chance in my book though).

This whole movie is about snapping good albeit not ultimately realistic (so basically the same level as GoT):

Spoiler
[close]

David Mills might be a good example. Though one could argue seeing his wife's decapitated head would make anyone snap, whereas there was no traumatic moment Dany suffered at the time she snapped, she had actually won the day defeating Cersi's defense.

However, it's not a cardinal rule that a person snaps only at the moment of a traumatic experience. As you point out she had already experience a series of traumatic events before she snapped. This is what GOT viewers are demanding, if Dany was going to snap why didn't she snap at the moment of one of her traumatic experiences, but no one can "schedule" when they snap.

William Foster might be another good example. Yes, early signs showed he had a temper, but once he acquired that bag of weapons, he went nuts and launched his shooting spree. It's been awhile since I've seen Falling Down, he shoots/injures several people, but if I recall he actually kills only one or two, I forget.

So the next question would be, was his transition from generally angry citizen to snapping into a whacko, poorly written or not?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed