Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 206,235 times)

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Oct 12, 2021, 11:22:26 PM
He seriously has it in his head that Covenant did poorly because people are bored of the alien.

Not because people don't want the alien explained,
or because his explanation was too bold for most people,
or because people are nitpicky about helmets,
or because people are grumpy that Shaw got Newted,
or because the movie came out during summer in between Wonder Woman and Pirates 5.

No, it must be because the stupid studio made him include the greatest movie monster of all time. Sure.

None of these points (except maybe the last one) were known to the people who didn't buy a ticket to the movie. They just simply couldn't be arsed in the first place. If all the people who went to the movie and had these complaints had demanded their money back, then you'd be onto something.

As much as I love Alien3, I'll be the first to admit that there hasn't been a truly, all around crowd-pleasing Alien movie for 35 years. Much like Jaws, people do eventually get tired of perpetually inferior sequels.

Voodoo Magic

And to be fair, Alien Covenant has many flaws of its own in writing and direction to pin it all on Prometheus (like some do here) or the Alien creature (like Ridley did there).

Mr. Clemens

Personally, I blame AvP; I think that was the moment when John Q. Public said, "Oh I see, Alien is just Saturday afternoon popcorn bullshit now."

If Prometheus had been called 'Alien: Prometheus' would more people have gone to it, or less?  ???

Evanus

The poor reception to the AVP films and even Alien3 and Res didn't help much I suspect.

I don't think they could've done much to make Covenant a success honestly. Some people dipped out after Prometheus and a lot were probably confused about what Covenant even was. I think Blomkamp's Alien 5 could've done well, though. Still glad it never got made lol.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Evanus on Oct 13, 2021, 01:49:51 PM
a lot were probably confused about what Covenant even was.

For my second viewing of Covenant in the theater, I brought a group of friends with me. After the movie, one of them told me that he had no idea he was even watching a prequel until he realized he was watching the "origin" of the Alien.

seattle24

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Oct 13, 2021, 01:46:09 PM
Personally, I blame AvP; I think that was the moment when John Q. Public said, "Oh I see, Alien is just Saturday afternoon popcorn bullshit now."

If Prometheus had been called 'Alien: Prometheus' would more people have gone to it, or less?  ???

Good question. And I'm not sure. I feel there's arguments for and against this specific brand recognition.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 13, 2021, 01:33:08 PM
And to be fair, Alien Covenant has many flaws of its own in writing and direction to pin it all on Prometheus (like some do here) or the Alien creature (like Ridley did there).

Yeah, pretty much. Hand on heart I left the IMAX after both films thinking 6/10.

I don't think the execution of the Alien itself has really been right since Aliens (I love Alien 3 - but the dodgy vfx is a well-trodden story) - by the time Alien: Covenant rolled around most of us were sighing it's another missed opportunity. It was generic 101

Evanus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 13, 2021, 01:54:10 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Oct 13, 2021, 01:49:51 PM
a lot were probably confused about what Covenant even was.

For my second viewing of Covenant in the theater, I brought a group of friends with me. After the movie, one of them told me that he had no idea he was even watching a prequel until he realized he was watching the "origin" of the Alien.

Adam802

Adam802

Ridley really shouldn't talk after the garbage 'prequels' he made........

And LOL, it has nothing to do with AvP or Resurrection. The 'prequels' are just plain bad Alien films and ruin the lore and mystery with a contrived world-shrinking explanation.

The "prequels" are always non-canon to me forever.

Voodoo Magic

Less, I think. It's been my perspective less. Alien and Predator has a seen one - seen them all cloud with some of the general public that they'll just dismiss new entries out of hand, especially with later previous entries being bad. But a brand new science fiction movie "Prometheus" with a stellar cast? That's interesting. I knew some co-workers (not followers of internet movie news like we are) that went to check out Prometheus having no clue it was an Alien prequel.

seattle24

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 13, 2021, 02:08:07 PM

Less, I think. It's been my perspective less. Alien and Predator has a seen one - seen them all cloud with some of the general public that they'll just dismiss new entries out of hand, especially with later previous entries being bad. But a brand new science fiction movie "Prometheus" with a stellar cast? That's interesting. I knew some co-workers (not followers of internet movie news like we are) that went to check out Prometheus having no clue it was an Alien prequel.

On the other hand, if it was branded Alien 0 (example), the first proper Alien film in 15 years (97-2012) starring an exciting cast sprinkled with A-list talent, from Ridley Scott no less - that would have done significant business.

During the 3-D boom too.

What percent do we think knew this was loosely related to Alien? Musta been 80% odd at least, that went out and bought a ticket still.

Kane's other son

Kane's other son

Prometheus was a sci-fi movie with little action, following 20 years of underperforming Alien sequels and spin-offs. Doing over 400 million worldwide was anything but a failure. Not to mention that Ridley's involvement rescued the franchise from DTV hell after the atrocious, cheap AVP-R.

At that point, however, not calling it "Alien", and claiming that it sets up a whole new universe, was the smart thing to do.

BlueMarsalis79

Rescued from DTV hell to Seaboot hell instead.

Bughuntwilson

There something interesting I noticed about alien issue 7 that nobody seems to be talking about  they bring up something called the extinction conlies.Conlies that are controlled by AI.In a interview Noah Hawley talks about how the show is about man primordial past and his AI control future.And it seems this is a recent thing to in the alien timeline so we can guess the show takes place after aliens.

BlueMarsalis79

Doubt it's got anything to do with the show itself.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: seattle24 on Oct 13, 2021, 02:16:58 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 13, 2021, 02:08:07 PM

On the other hand, if it was branded Alien 0 (example), the first proper Alien film in 15 years (97-2012) starring an exciting cast sprinkled with A-list talent, from Ridley Scott no less - that would have done significant business.

During the 3-D boom too.

What percent do we think knew this was loosely related to Alien? Musta been 80% odd at least, that went out and bought a ticket still.

No clue. But Prometheus' relative success is a big reason why I want Dan Trachtenberg's "Skulls" to keep its secret Predator movie marketing plan intact (even though the cat is already out of the bag for those who follow the entertainment industry). A portion of the general audience who might normally dismiss another Alien or Predator film out of hand..."Bah, another Predator movie"... might read the "Skulls" streaming synopsis about Native Americans in pre-colonial times stalked by a creature and decide to check it out, love it, and become a fan where they wouldn't have had an opportunity to with marketing so straightforward.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed