First Patch Notes

Started by ikarop, Feb 12, 2013, 08:23:14 PM

Author
First Patch Notes (Read 27,313 times)

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Njm1983 on Feb 22, 2013, 10:51:51 PM
Hate to say it but its probably the pissed off customers whom are making him reconsider how much work goes into patching the game. Theyve already lost their ass in this game, how much more do you eeally think theyll sink into it?

True, this could be. :-\ It all depends on what's more important, the $ or their reputations as a company. Or whether or not patching and DLC's would bring a return on their investment, I guess.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 22, 2013, 10:59:53 PM
Quote from: Njm1983 on Feb 22, 2013, 10:51:51 PM
Hate to say it but its probably the pissed off customers whom are making him reconsider how much work goes into patching the game. Theyve already lost their ass in this game, how much more do you eeally think theyll sink into it?

True, this could be. :-\ It all depends on what's more important, the $ or their reputations as a company. Or whether or not patching and DLC's would bring a return on their investment, I guess.

The $, because every patch costs $40,000 and every DLC has to be certified. If they've made enough of a loss I'd imagine they'll tie every patch into the DLC and not bother releasing any independant patches. If they even patch it at all.

Gren_86

Gren_86

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 22, 2013, 04:43:27 PM
God, the multiplayer is really starting to bog down from no patches. They need to FIX THE GODDAMED NETCODE, add dedicated servers, fix the Lurker pounce, and better balance the marines armor and pulse rifle damage.

The shit is just all over the place. Sometimes you can kill a marine with one hit (Heavy Strike) other times it takes three plus, and they can just backpedal and mow you down. We've been getting killed by Spitters in 1 hit, which is impossible, and the pump shotgun has miraculously started putting Aliens down in 1 shot as well. How the fuuuuuck?

This game just needs some tweaks and balancing, some care and attention paid to it. The mp glitches are no worse than any game is on launch, the only difference is that other game companies give enough of a shit to listen and support their own product when the time is most important to do so!

There is no limit to how thick and nasty my rage will become if they completely neglect this one part of their game that's actually good and deserves some attention. Worthless, Gearbox, you're totally worthless and you don't even have the spine to support your own products.

The time to act is now if they want to keep any players. They had a strong player base, but didn't do jack shit to counter the waves of bad press and justified hate.

ERRGHGHUHHHHH I WILL FLIP MY f**kING LID if they don't even give their own game a chance with some patches and care.

The nerd anger is boiling. :-\
I couldn't have said it better. I would also urge you not to buy the season pass until we have solid proof of patches which address the listed glitches and balance issues above.

Aceburster

Aceburster

I guess nobody knows whether GBX has anything big lined up right now but Borderlands 2 is out, Duke is out and theres no deadlines for A:CM anymore. If they just put their heads together and focused on fixing the game they could do it in 6 months I bet, and theres no real excuse not to.

Have them finish the xeno first-person animations for multi and some of the balance quirks, fix the lighting and ugly textures, and AI, finish the missing effects like motion blur and bloom and instead of a DLC addon... just rewrite the game.

That sounds like a lot but its not. With their tools, the community could do it... and do it better within 6 months so theres no excuse. Theres nothing that says they cant do a re-launch a little while down the road and consider the overhaul part of a patch for existing owners.

The game has gone down in history for being a huge @#$% up and "always positive" Randy should know that this kind of attention means its redemption would be equally historical and profitable.

He said this game is "costing him a lot of money" well it hasnt cost him a dime so far lol just everyone else, so maybe that comment means hes dumping that BL2 money back into making it "right". Alpha testing is over Randy, its time to be a big boy.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: Aceburster on Feb 23, 2013, 12:20:38 AM
I guess nobody knows whether GBX has anything big lined up right now but Borderlands 2 is out, Duke is out and theres no deadlines for A:CM anymore. If they just put their heads together and focused on fixing the game they could do it in 6 months I bet, and theres no real excuse not to.

Have them finish the xeno first-person animations for multi and some of the balance quirks, fix the lighting and ugly textures, and AI, finish the missing effects like motion blur and bloom and instead of a DLC addon... just rewrite the game.

That sounds like a lot but its not. With their tools, the community could do it... and do it better within 6 months so theres no excuse. Theres nothing that says they cant do a re-launch a little while down the road and consider the overhaul part of a patch for existing owners.

The game has gone down in history for being a huge @#$% up and "always positive" Randy should know that this kind of attention means its redemption would be equally historical and profitable.

He said this game is "costing him a lot of money" well it hasnt cost him a dime so far lol just everyone else, so maybe that comment means hes dumping that BL2 money back into making it "right". Alpha testing is over Randy, its time to be a big boy.

They can't do that at all. Re-writing the game would require them reprinting and redistributing all the discs, anyone who has a hard copy wouldn't be getting one for free that's for damn sure, it costs hundreds of thousands of pounds to print a significant amount of software copies.They could possibly release it as a download over steam like a patch, but it would be gigs large and likely not get to anyone on console (because of the cost of patching etc.) which would alienate their console customers.

Aceburster

Aceburster

A patch is just a patch, true that the content on disc would be different than the final product but every game with a single bug fix is exactly that. Any portion of any game, engine, movies, scripting, anything can be modified. consoles are no different than PC, if youve got the space then you can put what you want. I imagine Skyrim must take forever to update with all of the extras if youre doing it from a vanilla disk but people do it.

It might be unfair for people who dont have an internet connection and I dont know what to tell them.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I guess nobody knows whether GBX has anything big lined up right now but Borderlands 2 is out, Duke is out and theres no deadlines for A:CM anymore.

They've got plans, dude. They're not sitting still. They want to do their own 'Duke Nukem' game, for a start.

QuoteIf they just put their heads together and focused on fixing the game they could do it in 6 months I bet, and theres no real excuse not to.

How about profit? :)

QuoteHave them finish the xeno first-person animations for multi

It wasn't that they hadn't finished them. It was a deliberate gameplay choice.

Quotejust rewrite the game.

Yeeeeeah... Not gonna' happen. ;)

Aceburster

Aceburster

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 23, 2013, 12:52:06 AM
Spoiler
I guess nobody knows whether GBX has anything big lined up right now but Borderlands 2 is out, Duke is out and theres no deadlines for A:CM anymore.

They've got plans, dude. They're not sitting still. They want to do their own 'Duke Nukem' game, for a start.

QuoteIf they just put their heads together and focused on fixing the game they could do it in 6 months I bet, and theres no real excuse not to.

How about profit? :)

QuoteHave them finish the xeno first-person animations for multi

It wasn't that they hadn't finished them. It was a deliberate gameplay choice.

Quotejust rewrite the game.

Yeeeeeah... Not gonna' happen. ;)
[close]

Like I said, I have no idea what all they have going on, but they dont have any excuses at this point. There is profit to be had simply by fixing the game. Everyone who bought the game and reviewed it will have to say something about an updated version, and this time it would be positive press. Those people who backed out of buying the game and are waiting for a fire sale price (tons) will be much more inclined to buy it if people have SOMETHING good to say about it down the line.

People forget that games like Resident Evil bombed and got lousy reviews at first but once the game caught on a year or two later, it became a best seller. Of course thats different than the case of fixing a busted game, but someone realized the potential in re-releasing it and re-promoting it down the road. It cost Capcom a lot of money to do that and paid off.

The Xeno perspective is broken as far as im concerned :)

Id rather have an augmented main story rather than some new offshoot. If they have to build levels, add new dialog and weapons and cutscenes, balance everything over again I would much rather see the effort put into the main campaign. and they do owe me atleast 1 story DLC. Just make it a fix...

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

There is no guaranteed profit by doing anything for the sort. It costs a lot to patch a game, no matter by how much. Needs certifying and all the rest of it and there's no assurance they'll make any of it back.

And I honestly don't see a thing they can do to fix the story aspect of it. They really should've just said they were making an arcade game and be done with it. All the constant referencing of how it should be held to the same standard as a legitimately canonical sequel, ended up harming it.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

I can't see them not patching the game. It has to be done. I won't buy and DLC, no matter how good, if they don't patch.

Aceburster

Aceburster

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 23, 2013, 01:52:11 AM
There is no guaranteed profit by doing anything for the sort. It costs a lot to patch a game, no matter by how much. Needs certifying and all the rest of it and there's no assurance they'll make any of it back.

And I honestly don't see a thing they can do to fix the story aspect of it. They really should've just said they were making an arcade game and be done with it. All the constant referencing of how it should be held to the same standard as a legitimately canonical sequel ended up harming it.

There was no guarantee of a profit from day 1, but there is more profit to be had by fixing whats already there rather than doing something new.

Lets say they just write the game off as a loss and the DLC we get is paper thin. 4 missions fighting WY and a flying Alien boss or something equally sucky. The guns are just all the guns from the various preorders and the skins are just the collector skins. Bug hunt ends up being crappy and their obligations are met. Game is dead. 65% chance of this.

They go make a new Duke game and every single sponsor, reviewer and customer says "oh Gearbox, those are the guys that put out that other crappy Duke game and managed to botch A:CM on 4 platforms while burning a hole in Segas pocket, Ya... Ill wait for Borderlands 3." They cant drop this potato that easily and right now Randy is in a really bad place lol.

They will probably eat the loss because Randy doesnt seem to recognize a mistake when its facehugging him but its their company, whateva...

As far as the story is concerned, they KNOW whats wrong with it now, these boards in particular have dissected its issues and given them a roadmap to fixing it. Canon shmanon, it can all be fixed. The final product as it stands now sucks but they can change the levels around, the order of the levels, details that arent correct, dialog problems, the ending whatever they want just as easily as adding a crappy mini campaign.

They probably wont do this, but its not as big of a deal as people seem to think. Lets just say that they double down on this game and do fix it. Every complaint is gone, sales pick back up, the hypetrain keeps on rolling and Randly ends up looking like a hero for giving the customer what they want which is priceless from a business perspective. Then go make annother crappy Duke game lol.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

A very reasonable post, Ace.

But for some reason, reason doesn't really seem to be the dominant force in modern corporate structures. :D

Randy's getting to be too big of a personality to shrug this off completely, I think. Partially due to the hype fortress they built instead of designing the game. But he'll meet people halfway I'd imagine, remaining 99% my game is awesome while conceding some tiny margin of error or difficulty in the creative process or differences of opinion on what "good" is or whatever...

The lack of integrity betrays the false endeavor concerning the whole shebang. An artist would eat this criticism and either fire back that they love what they've produced and stay committed to it, or accept their failure in a mature way and build something truly great from the ashes. Either way, you'd stay committed to your project if you were "such a fan." That's called growth, and it's sad to see this company not doing it.

Chickenshit outfit man. What a chickenshit outfit.

Aceburster

Aceburster

Yep the dude thinks hes in the same league as Gabe and he sorta is except that Valve doesnt make bad games. He does.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Go and read the posts by Xhan and others in the know. Gearbox can only fix so much. The product is a mess of code from all different kinds of places. Even if they had the inclination to go into the guts of the thing and do an overhaul, it's highly unlikely they'd be capable of doing so.

There shall be some fixes, but the vast majority of stuff in the single-player campaign won't be getting changed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed