When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 72,235 times)

Highland

Quote from: Rudiger on Sep 28, 2017, 02:30:35 PM
Quote from: Highland on Sep 28, 2017, 02:10:40 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 28, 2017, 09:49:42 AM
"Get away from her you bitch" is screenwriting genius alright.  :)

It's a good movie, but it's 80s version of Starship Troopers.  Not the cosmic horror of ALIEN. 

Not saying I would prefer a remake of ALIEN, but I wouldn't call Aliens a 'great sequel'.

Alien Isolation is a great sequel to ALIEN.

If that line was in a movie quizz 99.9% of people would get it. Probably even my mum.

Not sure about "got you,you f***er" or whatever it is Daniels says (see can't even remember lol)

The only line anyone will ever remember from A:C is "I'll do the fingering". And then they'll laugh.

Funny, I totally missed that on first viewing. I was too busy waiting on David sticking the flute through Walters head.

Scorpio

"Get away from her you bitch" is the cheesiest one liner in the entire series.

SM

Yes if by cheesy you mean most iconic.

Scorpio

Just because something is famous and popular doesn't mean it is good.

SM

Often though, it does.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Scorpio

A strange claim indeed. One of the definitions of cheesy is blatantly inauthentic.  I see nothing blatantly inauthentic about Ripley's line at all. It copies no other well known movie quote in any way that I know of. I would be curious if you think it mocks or copies some other well known movie quote.

Or maybe you are calling it cheesy in some other form of definition. But I would still be curious for that reason. I mean, I could claim, "Play it again, Sam" is a really cheesy movie quote. Without coughing up why it warrants that label, my claim really doesn't hold water.

SM

Indeed.

Scorpio

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Sep 29, 2017, 12:18:17 AM
Quote from: Scorpio

A strange claim indeed. One of the definitions of cheesy is blatantly inauthentic. 

You got that from Urban dictionary, right? 

How about "trying too hard" and "unsubtle"? 

What's so cheesy about "Play it again, Sam"?

"You're tearing me apart Lisa!" is a cheesy line, delivered in a cheesy way.  So is "Get away from her you bitch!".

SM

^ Speaking of trying too hard...

Scorpio

Well you know what they say about arguing on the internet..

Baron Von Marlon

How about a nice "Let's agree to disagree."

BishopShouldGo

Hicks have you heard anything? Heard today they were soliciting treatments.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 29, 2017, 01:17:12 AM
Well you know what they say about arguing on the internet..

Would you say that Alien Resurrection was better than Aliens?

monkeylove

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Sep 28, 2017, 03:55:15 AM
I don't know if I would describe a film like Prometheus with a budget of 130 million, grossing 400 million at the box office as "did badly at the box office."

You have to include marketing costs, the distributor's cut, residuals, taxes, etc.

https://stephenfollows.com/how-movies-make-money-hollywood-blockbusters/

That is, marketing costs might be around 80 percent of the budget, but it might be similar to the budget if we add residuals, etc. That means the total studio cost might be up to $260 million.

For the box office, there's a 30-to-50 percent cut for the distributor and sales tax. I always calculated it at 30 percent but I never thought of the sales tax, which means the studio's cut might be somewhere in between. The source above states that the ave. return for the studio has been 41 to 50 percent of box office receipts. If we use the lower end, then the studio's cut was around $236 million. If so, then one can argue that the movie was not profitable.

However, if marketing costs were not that high, then maybe the movie made a slight profit, even after paying corporate tax. Of course, there are other revenue streams, like merchandising, but those arrive later, so I usually stick to box office receipts.

SM

Even factoring in marketing and Hollywood accounting - neither film "did badly".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed