Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,683 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote- Hadley and the AP were vapourised.
- Hicks is dead.
Those aren't continuity issues any moreso than bringing Ripley back to life in A:R, or introducing Queens in 'Aliens'. It's new information that changes old information - it's not automatically a "contradiction".

Quote- People wake up with huggers on their faces, rather than the hugger crawling off to die.
- Hicks wakes up in his tube, instead of the tube opening and then him waking up.
- You don't open a locked door by running a welder along where the doors meet - you melt the lock.
Not seeing the problem with any of these.

Quote- The Sulaco and colony are riddled with mistakes compared to the film.
- The recreation of the end of Alien3 also has a number of mistakes.
And the opening to 'Alien3' has mistakes compared to the ending of 'Aliens' (namely the 'Alien'-style cryotubes, but you can handwave that if you take the opening of the movie as a surreal dream sequence that's not meant to be taken literally), and I suspect the opening to 'Aliens' had mistakes compared to 'Alien' (since they had to re-build the Narcissus model and set from scratch), and Gediman says Ripley's blood was from "Fiori 16". Personally, I'm absolutely willing to overlook similar problems in Colonial Marines.

Quote- The Sephora intercepted the Sulaco about 3 months before the game started, and the Sulaco had a giant hole blown in it's lower forward hull and was sent spinning off into space, a couple of weeks or so later.
I take it this is an Aliens: Infestation callout?

predxeno

predxeno

Quote- The Hicks they wake up in SI is fully clothed, yet the guy who comically gets punched into his tube is dressed like Hicks was at the end of Aliens (boxers and bandages).

I think that's just to symbolize sort of suspense so that the viewer will be surprised to find out that it's actually Turk who went to Fury 161; if the two were dressed the same, then there'd be no surprise.

Quote- Hicks armour is able to teleport from the colony and repair itself.

I don't understand.

Quote- The comic attached to A:CM shows that the Sephora was swarming with Aliens and WY commandos just prior to the events in the game.

We're keeping things on the game now, but some people can argue that Randy Pitchford declared all Dark Horse Aliens comics non-canon; supposedly this includes the comic they made to promote Pitchford's own game that he was trying to sell, seems like a pretty stupid screw up on Pitchford's part or a deliberate stab in the back.

SM

SM

QuoteI think that's just to symbolize sort of suspense so that the viewer will be surprised to find out that it's actually Turk who went to Fury 161; if the two were dressed the same, then there'd be no surprise.

It's still a continuity error.  A fairly dopey one, possibly brought about by the devs not wanting to create another Hicks model.

QuoteI don't understand.

Hicks wears the same armour with the same customisation as he does in the film - despite it being destroyed in the film.

QuoteWe're keeping things on the game now, but some people can argue that Randy Pitchford declared all Dark Horse Aliens comics non-canon; supposedly this includes the comic they made to promote Pitchford's own game that he was trying to sell, seems like a pretty stupid screw up on Pitchford's part or a deliberate stab in the back.

I'm not arguing Pitchford did anything either way - it's just an example of how EU material all tied to the same product (including Infestation which Gearbox also had a hand in) isn't even consistent with itself, never mind the films it's based on.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2013, 05:57:32 AM
QuoteI think that's just to symbolize sort of suspense so that the viewer will be surprised to find out that it's actually Turk who went to Fury 161; if the two were dressed the same, then there'd be no surprise.

It's still a continuity error.  A fairly dopey one, possibly brought about by the devs not wanting to create another Hicks model.

Either way, it falls into the same category as the other continuity errors you pointed out; if you use this argument against A:CM, then you'll have to use them on Alien 3 as well as Xenomrph pointed out.

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2013, 05:57:32 AM
QuoteI don't understand.

Hicks wears the same armour with the same customisation as he does in the film - despite it being destroyed in the film.

Maybe he recustomized a different set of armor. :/

SM

SM

The predictable straw graspage and plugging of ears and "LALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING!" ensues...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteA fairly dopey one, possibly brought about by the devs not wanting to create another Hicks model.
I'm 100% sure it's because of this.

QuoteHicks wears the same armour with the same customisation as he does in the film - despite it being destroyed in the film.
I suspect this is also a byproduct of "developer laziness" - there's already a "movie Hicks" character model in the game for use in multiplayer, so they likely recycled it for singleplayer (although you'd think it'd be easier to just slap the Hicks head model on a generic Marine body, but I dunno).

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2013, 06:08:30 AM
The predictable straw graspage and plugging of ears and "LALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING!" ensues...

You DO realize that if you succeed in eliminating A:CM from canon with these arguments, you will also have to eliminate Alien 3 from canon as well because it also bears the same faults and technical inconsistencies that A:CM had.

SM

SM

Just when you thought that dumb argument barrel couldn't be scraped any further...

predxeno

predxeno

You say a LOT of stuff, but why don't you actually back it up with something concrete for once?  If you can just up and at it with A:CM, what makes it so different that Alien 3 will be spared under the exact same circumstances?

SM

SM

:laugh:

Since every time I back my stuff up it's duly ignored, twisted, or reinterpreted to the point of braindead idiocy, i'ma stop now.

predxeno

predxeno

That's the coward's way out, SM, I have listened to your arguments and even though I see ways to fix it, I am willing to listen to you.  However, I am pointing out a VERY fatal flaw in your stance; if you launch these attacks against A:CM and remove it from canon, then these same arguments will have bearing on Alien 3 and any other films with similar inconsistencies.

This is how laws and statutes are made all over the world; you can't just put one law to apply to a specific situation, it needs to apply to ALL situations.  We all have our personal canons, but if they are based SOLELY on what we want as opposed to what is in front of us, then it's nothing more than our own personal fantasies.  This standard that you have set up to combat A:CM will inevitably combat Alien 3 as well unless you find a way to differentiate the two so that the standard you have set is set specifically at your target rather than all-encompassing.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Nov 01, 2013, 09:51:44 PM

Since every time I back my stuff up it's duly ignored, twisted, or reinterpreted to the point of braindead idiocy, i'ma stop now.
So close, SM. So close, yet so far.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

He's kinda got a point, and it's not like it's an isolated case. The EU consistently gets held to more stringent standards than the films themselves when "continuity errors" are concerned. As mentioned, if we're going to apply the same metric you used in your earlier post, the movies are chock full of similar goofs, mistakes, and errors, but they get a free pass while the EU gets crucified.

There's enough to complain about in Colonial Marines without resorting to nit-picking and double-standards. :P

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Nov 01, 2013, 11:01:06 PM

So close, SM. So close, yet so far.

Baby steps.

predxeno

predxeno

So you wanna continue this argument or are you stepping out and admitting defeat?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed