Size

Started by Ronoc, Nov 09, 2019, 02:59:18 PM

Author
Size (Read 3,764 times)

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: FenGiddel on Nov 10, 2019, 04:51:54 AM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Nov 10, 2019, 12:20:55 AM
Big Chap, as depicted in ALIEN: The Illustrated Story, was much larger than its film counterpart - about the same size as the ALIENS Queen!?!
I always considered that for dramatic effect...
As I do, but look at the hollow pretzel-like bony hoops (on either side of the adult's head), some interesting differences in addition to size. Who knows? I like the colour a lot - the brown is close to the Big Chap's sepia and black skin colouration.

The Old One

The Old One

Actually the Covenant Alien reminded me of it a lot.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 10, 2019, 09:12:09 AM
Actually the Covenant Alien reminded me of it a lot.
Yes, the pretzel hoops. Perhaps a nod to the 1979 comic book?

SiL

SiL

Its size changes throughout the comic depending on the scene. Its gargantuan size when Brett sees it is not proportional to its size in the next panel when it's about to bite him -- it's closer to the film version.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Nov 10, 2019, 09:49:59 AM
Its size changes throughout the comic depending on the scene. Its gargantuan size when Brett sees it is not proportional to its size in the next panel when it's about to bite him -- it's closer to the film version.
It's probably at its biggest when looming over Dallas and smallest when hiding in the shuttle.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, definitely.
And yeah I think it is a reference to the Graphic Novel, intention or not.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

According to Xenopedia seeing as I don't have a source book readily available;
Big chap: 7 ft 2 (Google corresponds the height with Bolaji Badejo)
Alien Warrior: 7 ft 10 *the article notes this is generalized and nears as I understand nobody in the Alien suits for Aliens was 7 feet tall. Later Warriors are shown to be as tall as various Predators when standing upright, so one would assume they are at least 7 feet.
The dragon: N/A

I would assume the runner is roughly the same height as the Big Chap. It's also played by Tom Woodruff Jr so I'd imagine that his height could be used as a baseline. Woodruff's height according to Google is at 6 foot 2 inches. So naturally when standing up the Alien should be as tall as he is and then some given the size of the Alien head giving a bit more height.
Given what we see of other Xenomorphs being somewhere around 7 feet tall I would presume that the Runner's height is somewhere between Woodruff's own and Big Chap at the very smallest.

Given how thin Bolaji Badejo was, I would presume the Big Chap is the thinnest of them and probably the largest person to portray them. Woodruff looks to be about as bulky as the people portraying the Warriors. Though I'm hard-pressed to say anything on it considering I just don't have hard numbers for it and in-universe it can vary given age, host, and type (Resurrection warriors would naturally be different to Aliens). There's also the issue of Alien 3 using multiple performers to portray the Runner so it's size and bulk can vary per shot. I mention Woodruff specifically since we know his height and while he isn't as tall as Badejo, he's still close enough for editing to make him taller and he was actually in the suit.

The Old One

The Old One

Mhm, honestly this may be the one time I'd rather use the NECA figures for scale.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Given their size I always found it suprising they could travel through ventilation systems so well. Especially with those big backpipes from the first two films.

xxx

xxx

Quote from: Ronoc on Nov 09, 2019, 02:59:18 PM
Not sure if this is the right place for it, but anyway...
I presume that of the alien types shown in the first three movies (excluding the obviously large gueen), the Big Chap and the warrior are the same size.
But how large was the dog alien in comparison to Big Chap.
He can look quite small on all fours, and although he has a long tail, he's quite slim.
Who has the larger head? Who's bulkier?
Dunno if anybody has anything definitive on anything like this,
Thanks
in general, there should be some body proportion variety even in the same "class"
those from A2 would probably differ in height too

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: 426Buddy on Nov 10, 2019, 04:15:53 PM
Given their size I always found it suprising they could travel through ventilation systems so well. Especially with those big backpipes from the first two films.
The dorsal tubes are flexible. I imagine they could fold down behind it when entering a confined space. The Alien that snatched Newt has floppy back tubes, then there's the Covenant Alien that climbs down the ladder tube.

SM

SM

QuoteALIEN3 Runner was described as being larger than previous specimens.

Is it?

Kradan

Kradan

Novelisation says so IIRC

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Really? I don't believe you!  :laugh: Well, the Covenant novelization suggest that the Engineers make the Alien. The film says otherwise though  :P

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Nov 11, 2019, 12:11:22 AM
QuoteALIEN3 Runner was described as being larger than previous specimens.

Is it?
Didn't Ripley say, in addition to moving differently, this one was larger than the others? I'm sure there was some dialogue there with the prisoners.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed