Alien vs. Predator (Atari Jaguar) - Super Thread

Started by OpenMaw, Jun 03, 2018, 07:43:53 AM

Author
Alien vs. Predator (Atari Jaguar) - Super Thread (Read 33,052 times)

426Buddy

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Feb 02, 2020, 02:31:22 AM
Attempting to get this running.
Dont give up!

Im ready to fight the queen, all ammo filled and on lvl5. Ive made a couple unsuccesful runs already, havent even made it to the alien ship yet.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 02, 2020, 06:40:56 PM
Im ready to fight the queen, all ammo filled and on lvl5. Ive made a couple unsuccesful runs already, havent even made it to the alien ship yet.

Have you explored the Predator ship? If yes, any surprises there?

426Buddy

yeah like an ambush at the smart gun lol. i just ran for my life. killed 1 of the 3, thankfully I had smartgun ammo when I picked it up.

molasar

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 03, 2020, 12:51:37 AM
yeah like an ambush at the smart gun lol. i just ran for my life. killed 1 of the 3, thankfully I had smartgun ammo when I picked it up.

You just rocked and rolled out of there.

molasar

molasar

If anybody wants to check these alpha/beta roms, they are available in the following links. A hint: use other emulators like Project Tempest or Virtual Jaguar as well.

https://hiddenpalace.org/Alien_vs_Predator_(Aug_18,_1993_prototype)

https://hiddenpalace.org/Alien_vs_Predator_(Oct_13,_1993_prototype)

https://hiddenpalace.org/Alien_vs_Predator_(Apr_8,_1994_prototype)

Corporal Hicks

Any major differences?

molasar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 10, 2020, 11:39:44 AM
Any major differences?

Some different assets (layouts, sprites, weapons, HUD, etc.) like seen in early screenshots from VG magazines. Just feel more like something from a testing phase than a bugged almost completed version. I could only play them as Marine.

Anyway I remember back in the 90s I was not completely happy that Alien looks like a blue version of dog alien instead of warrior alien but definitely it was a smart choice from a functionality point of view. As it is hard to show small details properly in low resolution and not contrasting colors.

SiL

Alien Trilogy did not learn that lesson with their Alien models. Such disappointing blobs of colour.

molasar

Quote from: SiL on Feb 11, 2020, 05:35:52 AM
Alien Trilogy did not learn that lesson with their Alien models. Such disappointing blobs of colour.

I still like it but back then I did not know a lot about video game designing. However nowadays, it seems that majority of people think if games are more realistic or cinematic, it is better.

SiL

SiL

Even back in the day they were disappointing. Nothing to do with modern sensibilities, realism, or cinema -- they just didn't have any real detail. Although I should clarify, I really mean the Warriors specifically. The smaller forms were good, and the Queen is fine, but the black/grey Warriors have been underwhelming since '96.

lost dragon

lost dragon

Quote from: molasar on Jan 22, 2020, 02:20:25 AM
I am not sure if this very short E3'97 camera footage from a cancelled PS1 port of AvP was shared on the forum before but here it is.

https://youtu.be/W1iDYImB2Zw?t=7528

That's amazing.

Huge thanks for sharing, all i previously had was a screenshot.

Wonder if any footage of the Sega Saturn version exists?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2020, 08:09:56 AM
Quote from: molasar on Jan 13, 2020, 04:37:48 PM
Also read a game manual.

lol  :laugh: I completely even forgot this was a thing. I'll read the manual and stop asking stupid questions. Thanks for sharing the magazine article btw!

I've re-titled the thread as a catch all for the Jag version.

Quote from: molasar on Jan 13, 2020, 06:12:26 PM

Motion tracker on the Lynx is interesting. It's interesting that that concept has excited that far back, but still no-one has pulled it off. IIRC they were on about doing that for ACM on the Wii U.

Regarding the potential of using the Atari Lynx as a motion tracker on Jaguar AVP:

I am lead to believe Hand Made Software said the concept of using the lynx as an intelligent game controller on Jaguar games was simply far too flawed to actually work in real life?

Great concept with lynx being used as a display device, Jaguar handling the code, but ..

The Jaguar serial port never worked as it should have and in the majority of games, it was the processing of the display which took the most time, so a game would be limited by the restraints put on it by the Lynx and not the Jaguar

molasar

molasar

Quote from: lost dragon on Mar 09, 2020, 12:33:19 PM
Wonder if any footage of the Sega Saturn version exists?

I do not think it does.

I believe that PS1 was a based hardware for the game at that time and they did not start any works on Saturn and PC ports at all. Then for whatever reason, they abandoned a console version and completely moved to PC starting from the beginning.

Russ840

Would some mind giving me instructions for Phoenix and the English patch? Please

I have been playing on PT but i get annoyed with bugs and dodgy outlines on the sprites.

I'm about 3/4 through which is annoying because I will have to start again.

Does Phoenix have Controller support?

HicksIsAlive

I think I heard that the English patch is available if you sign up to their forum?

OpenMaw

I got a question. What models would the Rebellion guys have been using for the Alien and Predator Circa 1993/1994? It says they bought them at a store. They appear to be poseable models, too... Unless they made those drastic changes themselves.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed