Earth War: Time for an Aliens Pandemic Film

Started by Perfect-Organism, Mar 12, 2020, 12:09:21 AM

Author
Earth War: Time for an Aliens Pandemic Film (Read 2,343 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I'm fine with it.

Kimarhi

I've argued the Alien invasion film for more than a decade. 

The Aliens have been neutered as a threat, the only true victory they have is against Hadley's Hope.  Which was less than 200 colonist. 

Tell me again why we are supposed to fear them?  The fact that they exist in movie after movie and don't ever do anything lessons their mystique.  They are scary to the individual, but only barely a threat to the group.  Hence every protagonist victory against them.

Huggs

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 29, 2020, 05:14:11 PM

The Aliens have been neutered as a threat, the only true victory they have is against Hadley's Hope.  Which was less than 200 colonist. 

Tell me again why we are supposed to fear them?  The fact that they exist in movie after movie and don't ever do anything lessons their mystique.  They are scary to the individual, but only barely a threat to the group.  Hence every protagonist victory against them.

Except for when they overran a town of over 5,000 people, slaughtered a national guard unit and the situation grew so dire that nuclear weapons had to be used. All within a matter of hours, mind you.

Not bad for neutered threats.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 29, 2020, 07:28:31 PM

Except for when they overran a town of over 5,000 people, slaughtered a national guard unit and the situation grew so dire that nuclear weapons had to be used. All within a matter of hours, mind you.

Regardless of cosmic horror metaphors, Aliens are dangerous animals. I believe the "Thing" would fit more properly with a pandemic movie, since it spreads easily like COVID 19, and can take the shape of any life form with which it makes contact. What we saw in AVPRequiem is the classic alien rampage on a small town. For a proper Earth Invasion movie, the Alien should be weaponized by an intelligent villain in order to be used in strategic ways. Without that, it's just another creature rampage flick...not so different from...mmm...I don't know, let's say dinosaurs movies for example.

However, and back to the Pandemic trope, I think Black Goo is a perfect candidate. But yeah, it's not as popular and beloved as the Alien I think  :P

Quote from: acrediblesource on Mar 22, 2020, 10:28:48 AM
Somewhere Giger's work must be included otherwise its just ---fapping scifi.

That should be holy gospel. Amen.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't remember seeing the Alien on Earth, apart from in three unofficial prequels, the unofficial sequel to the original and two crossover films.

Kimarhi

They also got choke slammed by a pred in that movie in a two for one special move where they literally forgot how to use their tails or claws.  Again, neutered.  They have become dangerous when they need to be, and that is it. 

Huggs

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 29, 2020, 11:01:14 PM

They also got choke slammed by a pred in that movie in a two for one special move where they literally forgot how to use their tails or claws.  Again, neutered.  They have become dangerous when they need to be, and that is it. 

A predator is obviously a problem for them. Well, except for nethead. But you asked why "we" are supposed to fear them.

Against human beings, they're still capable of being extremely deadly alone, and an overwhelming force when together. They haven't exactly been neutered for humanity's sake in any film yet. We're still an easy dinner...mostly. Some people still find that the idea of being eaten by sex monsters induces some level of fear. I call it a pretty good time, but that's just me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed