Was Lambert raped by the Alien?

Started by Ellen Ripley, Nov 02, 2007, 07:42:37 PM

Author
Was Lambert raped by the Alien? (Read 223,674 times)

xeno_alpha_07

QuoteThe one deleted fragment I'd most like to see from Parker's death scene would be the shot of the Alien releasing him immediately after head-biting him. Would be a cool shot to see: a freshly killed Parker, slumping lifeless to the deck, with his brains falling into his lap, as the blood pours from the hole in his head - nasty. I wonder if there would be any 'nerve action' acting - like Kane's shaking hands after giving birth to the Chestburster?

Wasn't Kane's hand-shaking ad-libbed?  I'm pretty sure it was and definitely a good idea.  I need to revisit a lot of stuff to rejig my memory a bit.  The description you gave of Parker slumping to the floor and his brains falling out is indeed nasty and gruesome, especially for that time.  Years ago I tried to contact stuntman Clive Curtis regarding his stunt work on both Alien & Aliens but never got a reply, that I can remember.  A lot of his stuntwork filmed for the Parker scene was heavily cut and cut to merely a few seconds.

nanison

nanison

Reading all this makes me wonder if you guys are actually ok with the movie how it turned out. Would you have preferred longer shots of the alien on screen? We get quick glimpses and that was part of the mystery of the horror. Give longer shots and all you see is a man in a suit. For example the shot outside the shuttle when it gets burned. That is one shot too much imo.

I would definitely want to see it as outtakes though, very sure about that!

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: nanison on Oct 24, 2021, 07:28:57 PM
Reading all this makes me wonder if you guys are actually ok with the movie how it turned out. Would you have preferred longer shots of the alien on screen? We get quick glimpses and that was part of the mystery of the horror. Give longer shots and all you see is a man in a suit. For example, the shot outside the shuttle when it gets burned. That is one shot too much imo.

Hi, nanison yes, I am very happy with how Alien turned out  :) With my love of cut scenes from the Alien movies, I'd just wish we could see how the film was originally cut together before the final edit.  It's a bit of an obsession  :D  And I fully understand Ridley's reasoning for making the edits he did.  The gore that was originally cut didn't necessarily need longer shots of the Alien itself, Brett's original graphic death for example.  It could have still been possible to include the gore without ruining the mystery of the creature.  I'd have been happy if these scenes were restored as deleted scenes for the special features.

BlueMarsalis79

The Theatrical Cut's perfect.

But the "Director's Cut" or more aptly titled, Marketing Cut, that's pretty much without merit.

I'd much prefer a Extended Edition.

xeno_alpha_07

Ridley made some questionable edits in the 'Marketing Cut', the Dallas with MU/TH/UR "What are my chances" scene being a prime example.  Why was that even removed?   ::)

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: nanison on Oct 24, 2021, 07:28:57 PM
Reading all this makes me wonder if you guys are actually ok with the movie how it turned out. Would you have preferred longer shots of the alien on screen? We get quick glimpses and that was part of the mystery of the horror. Give longer shots and all you see is a man in a suit. For example the shot outside the shuttle when it gets burned. That is one shot too much imo.

The 1979 theatrical release is the ideal cut of the film ... but, loving the film as much as I do, I've got to see all the rest of the missing pieces, before I die.  :laugh:

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Oct 24, 2021, 03:56:59 PM
QuoteThe one deleted fragment I'd most like to see from Parker's death scene would be the shot of the Alien releasing him immediately after head-biting him. Would be a cool shot to see: a freshly killed Parker, slumping lifeless to the deck, with his brains falling into his lap, as the blood pours from the hole in his head - nasty. I wonder if there would be any 'nerve action' acting - like Kane's shaking hands after giving birth to the Chestburster?

Wasn't Kane's hand-shaking ad-libbed?  I'm pretty sure it was and definitely a good idea.  I need to revisit a lot of stuff to rejig my memory a bit.  The description you gave of Parker slumping to the floor and his brains falling out is indeed nasty and gruesome, especially for that time.  Years ago I tried to contact stuntman Clive Curtis regarding his stunt work on both Alien & Aliens but never got a reply, that I can remember.  A lot of his stuntwork filmed for the Parker scene was heavily cut and cut to merely a few seconds.

The shaking hands are a grisly touch to an already horrific sequence. Love that sort of detail in the performance. I'm thinking of the guy's kicking foot, after blowing his brains out in The Final Conflict (1981) and Mac's death from the original Predator.

The stuntman, Clive Curtis, sounds like he's contributed some interesting cut material to the ALIEN films. Looking at ALIEN: The Illustrated Story, there's an alternate attack on Parker - he cops a facepalm instead of being tail-slapped. I'd like to know if this was filmed, or merely invented for the graphic novel?

I don't know if you own a copy of the Art Edition of the Illustrated Story, but as a bonus, there's a very interesting interview with Walt Simonson. He talks about viewing an early edit of ALIEN, that he saw in late 1978. He describes how the early edit for Brett's death scene was much longer and "horrible" and how he "boiled down" what he originally saw to what is presented in the comic adaptation.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 24, 2021, 09:51:32 PM
The shaking hands are a grisly touch to an already horrific sequence. Love that sort of detail in the performance. I'm thinking of the guy's kicking foot, after blowing his brains out in The Final Conflict (1981) and Mac's death from the original Predator.

I haven't seen Omen III in years and don't remember much of the film if I'm honest so I must revisit that soon  :)  The one thing that bothers me about Mac's death is Dillon's POV shot as it zooms in on Mac you don't see any visible damage on his head from the Predators blast.

If Ridley screened The Texas Chainsaw Massacre to the cast I wonder if John Hurt got the inspiration for the twitching hands from Kirk's death.  He twitches after Leatherface strikes him on the head with a hammer.

QuoteThe stuntman, Clive Curtis, sounds like he's contributed some interesting cut material to the ALIEN films. Looking at ALIEN: The Illustrated Story, there's an alternate attack on Parker - he cops a facepalm instead of being tail-slapped. I'd like to know if this was filmed, or merely invented for the graphic novel?

Clive took part in a short podcast for Fangoria which discusses the stunts he did for Alien & Aliens: Here  It's about 28 mins long.  All that work he did and it was merely cut to ribbons.  I don't think Parker's alternate death in the Alien Illustrated story was filmed .  I believe it to be a scaled-down version of the Alien grabbing his head before the head bite.  However, I don't know for definite.

Sadly, no I don't own the Art Edition of the Illustrated Story.  I'd love to read that interview though!

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Clive took part in a short podcast for Fangoria which discusses the stunts he did for Alien & Aliens: Here  It's about 28 mins long.  All that work he did and it was merely cut to ribbons.  I don't think Parker's alternate death in the Alien Illustrated story was filmed .  I believe it to be a scaled-down version of the Alien grabbing his head before the head bite.  However, I don't know for definite.

Thanks for posting this it's the first time I ever heard of it.  8)

I also am going back to listen to all the 79 ALIEN podcasts they have listed!  ;D

xeno_alpha_07

I haven't checked out their other Alien podcasts yet  :). Hope you enjoy!

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Just finished listening to the podcast.

Good stuff! The only stunt shot described in any detail (from ALIEN) was the tail-slap-into-wall scene, that's available for viewing on the discs.

Sadly, the much longer and more intense fight scene between Parker and the Alien was truncated, so as not to upstage the earlier (iconic) Chestburster scene. Bummer.

Thanks for that!

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: Elmazalman on Oct 25, 2021, 04:37:56 AM
Just finished listening to the podcast.

Good stuff! The only stunt shot described in any detail (from ALIEN) was the tail-slap-into-wall scene, that's available for viewing on the discs.

Thanks for that!

Glad you liked it :)  Ever since I was a kid I've always loved and have been interested in behind the scenes/making of stuff for movies.  Even if I don't like the film I'll still watch behind-the-scenes material.

QuoteSadly, the much longer and more intense fight scene between Parker and the Alien was truncated, so as not to upstage the earlier (iconic) Chestburster scene. Bummer.

Bummer indeed  :-[ That's understandable but for me, personally, I don't think it would have.  What's your opinion on that?

nanison

nanison

The reason why alien and jaws are the definite monster movies is because of technical limitations. Since those limitations are a thing of the past we will never ever get a monster movie as good as either of those. After all the monster is at its scariest when it hides under your bed. When we do get to see it we need our imagination to fill in the blanks. I got to say thank God special effects were not yet perfected.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Oct 25, 2021, 05:44:30 PM
QuoteSadly, the much longer and more intense fight scene between Parker and the Alien was truncated, so as not to upstage the earlier (iconic) Chestburster scene. Bummer.

Bummer indeed  :-[ That's understandable but for me, personally, I don't think it would have.  What's your opinion on that?

I don't think it would've hurt the film to have a more graphic Parker / Alien confrontation, nor do I believe it would've taken anything away from the Chestburster scene.

Emotionally, it wouldn't hurt to see the Engineer put up more of a fight. The film's been leading towards a final confrontation between the two since his friend's death. The dude was seething with hatred and the need for payback.

Yeah, I'd like to see Parker biff the Alien a few times in the head (filmed?) (for Brett) before dying - giving him some small measure of revenge for all the grief the Alien has caused.

A more gruesome exit for the Engineer would've added some personal symmetry between the two - the Alien still holds a grudge against Parker for threatening to stab it at the dinner table.  ;D

I do like his final lines from ALIEN: The Illustrated Story: "Goddamn you Goddamn you Godda - - - " :laugh:

xeno_alpha_07

QuoteI don't think it would've hurt the film to have a more graphic Parker / Alien confrontation, nor do I believe it would've taken anything away from the Chestburster scene.

Emotionally, it wouldn't hurt to see the Engineer put up more of a fight. The film's been leading towards a final confrontation between the two since his friend's death. The dude was seething with hatred and the need for payback.

Yeah, I'd like to see Parker biff the Alien a few times in the head (filmed?) (for Brett) before dying - giving him some small measure of revenge for all the grief the Alien has caused.

I remember reading somewhere in the early 2000s, an online article, that mentioned something about Parker striking the Alien a couple of times as it had him pinned against the wall.  However, I can't say for certain if that was filmed or not but I'd like to believe it was.

And I agree with everything you said there as well.

Quotethe Alien still holds a grudge against Parker for threatening to stab it at the dinner table.  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The Chestburster was probably saying, "I'll get you later big man" before it scrurried off.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Came across this image.

At first I thought it looked like Parker, trying to shove an object (attachment from the incinerator unit?) into the mouth of the Alien, to avoid its jaws.

Notice his fist? It looks like he's punching the Alien?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed