It was what I expected
13 (8.8%)
It fell short for me
16 (10.8%)
It was not good
15 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author
Sneak Peek with LegionFX Tomorrow - The Last Supper (Read 93,160 times)

XenoHunter99

Quote from: RidgeTop on Feb 26, 2017, 04:16:33 PM
Sometimes a film's marketing betrays its true nature. Just look at movies like Alien 3 or Crimson Peak.

Sometimes there is a swerve, but more often these days, the marketing gives away the whole movie, including plot points and secrets best left a surprise. And in the case of this franchise, the marketing can also make the movie look better than it is. *Prometheus* *hack* *choke*

Burdern of proof is still on the movie to not be a turd.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Marcus9000 on Feb 26, 2017, 04:32:13 PM
James Franco's Captain was feeling ill.... So has that anything to do with what follows? Or a red herring?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mild
Spoiler
A bit of a red herring. Don't expect to see much of him in the film though.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

I can't say anyone who I've spoken to who has seen a screening of the film has said it comes across as a repeat of Alien.

XenoHunter99

Good to know. But is this actually the Alien film we've been waiting for? That's the only question that really matters. And I guess we'll find out in a couple months.

Ingwar

Good old Jack Daniel's ... Tennessee Whiskey ;)

szkoki

rewatched it a couple of times. altough it looks much more grounded from this clip than Prometheus its still not as grounded as Alien 1-2-3 was. also Crudup's acting stands out in this clip, you can learn about his character so much

- obviously he is the vice captain in rank yet the captain trust in his pilot more (just look at his face when the captain sets the pilot in charge)
- obviously he wanted to do the speech instead of Daniels (again his expression)

Probably he will do a bunch of dumb shit as soon as he will be in charge officially after the captains death just to prove himself.

Darth Vile

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Feb 26, 2017, 07:46:50 PM
Good to know. But is this actually the Alien film we've been waiting for? That's the only question that really matters. And I guess we'll find out in a couple months.
But what is the "Alien film we've been waiting for"? It seems there isn't a general consensus of what that would be, and after all, Alien and Aliens were as different (and as good) as two films could be. I expect Alien Covenant to be as divisive, with fans, as Prometheus (just based on general expectations and reception thus far), but it looks like it has a tone that may well appeal to general cinema goers that will, a least, result in 'popularity'.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 26, 2017, 08:23:19 PM
But what is the "Alien film we've been waiting for"? It seems there isn't a general consensus of what that would be, and after all, Alien and Aliens were as different (and as good) as two films could be. I expect Alien Covenant to be as divisive, with fans, as Prometheus (just based on general expectations and reception thus far), but it looks like it has a tone that may well appeal to general cinema goers that will, a least, result in 'popularity'.

Well-written, well-executed, free of groaner garbage. Prometheus could have been an outstanding movie, but it wasn't. That's on Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof, especially Lindelof. If Scott wanted distance from the rest of the franchise, he should have made more of a stand-alone sci fi movie out of it. His half-in/half-out approach was part of the problem, and it's easy to say what went wrong. Smart people repeatedly behaved stupidly, dialogue was awful, Engineers behaved like moronic savages, Engineers were nothing more than bald pale men, Engineers role was stolen from the Predators in AVP, AVP did that part better, the critter at the end looked silly and added nothing.

I'm also not going to say the Spaihts script was better. I think the array of monsters he provided were mostly too easily dispatched and the Ultramorph was a stupid idea. Just making the ordinary monster bigger does not make it better. The Queen is bigger, but the Queen adds value to the equation. She lays the eggs and exerts control over her underlings. She was an antagonist, too.

Now we have Covenant on the way. What would make it great? Well-executed script with ideas that are more than Alien saga retreads. Will we get that? It doesn't look that way. Seems like it's a blob of of retread ideas swizzled into a familiar mix. It seems Scott is more interested in recreating the tone of the original, topping the chestburster, and saying, "You want xenomorphs? Here you go." Except it's not the real biomechanical horror, is it? No. It's primal and sort of fleshy, just like the creatures in all the movies from A3 on. It also seems saddled with a ton of groaner material.
-David 8 makes the Alien. Really? What a letdown. Ok. Some people like the idea. Good for them. I obviously don't.
-Ripley isn't there, but we'll insert the obligatory Ripley surrogate. Hi Daniels. She might be Ripley's mommy. Great. Ugh!
-The viral video is 4 minutes of callback material.
-And we have blood - By the look of the trailer, lots of blood. But does extra blood make the movie better? Alien had some blood. It worked fine. Aliens had almost no blood. Mostly, the blood was bright yellow acid blood, not deep-red human blood.

Blood is not what makes the movies great. Alien, it's the sense of immersion and the believable nature of the characters that make it work.The mysteries are cool. Derelict, spacejockey, eggs, creature: All Lovecraftian things full of horror and foreboding. They stood the test of time, and Scott is busy crapping them up. It's disgusting. Aliens, it's the story and character interactions that make it go. The Queen is great, but the warriors act too much like cannon fodder. There are some excellent scenes and it's mostly a fun movie to watch. The series goes rapidly downhill after that.

I think you're right. Covenant is going to be another polarizing movie. But like Prometheus, it will be polarizing for all the wrong reasons. If Scott could just deliver a movie of the same quality as Alien or Aliens, all would be right with the world. But I think he can't. I doubt this will be the movie we're waiting for. That may have to wait however many years for a new director to give it a try, and might never happen.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: szkoki on Feb 26, 2017, 08:03:54 PM
rewatched it a couple of times. altough it looks much more grounded from this clip than Prometheus its still not as grounded as Alien 1-2-3 was. also Crudup's acting stands out in this clip, you can learn about his character so much

- obviously he is the vice captain in rank yet the captain trust in his pilot more (just look at his face when the captain sets the pilot in charge)
- obviously he wanted to do the speech instead of Daniels (again his expression)

Probably he will do a bunch of dumb shit as soon as he will be in charge officially after the captains death just to prove himself.

I know what you mean. Cudrup is not subtle at all in this. I think it's because it's both a story piece and a marketing piece. They're using the viral marketing to build the characters. Subtlety goes out the window when you have a short piece of time.

motherfather

motherfather

Maybe at this stage its probably easier to say what I don't want it to be, than what I do. I don't want it to be 2 hours of a bloodbath and then we all get out of our seats and go home. And I don't want it to be too Prometheus-y.

I don't want to be let down by trailers that promise there's much more in store than there actually is in terms of plot and scale. And I certainly don't want wooden not fleshed out characters or half-baked or completely lacking science. Its 2017  - there are 3000+ confirmed exoplanets already out there. Gimme something futuristically plausible about colonization with a slice of Xeno on the side please.

I've rewatched the A L I E N dvd more times than I care to imagine and I still feel the butterflies in my stomach partly because the characters are somehow relatable. I feel like I can put myself in their shoes more than any of the other alien franchise characters. The Prologue works for me because while there are a lot of throwbacks to Alien, if you strip all that away, you basically have group dynamics just like what you often see at work, in the office/factory/whatever. Who is the office bike/clown/drunk/backstabber etc...

FenGiddel

Quote from: SM on Feb 23, 2017, 04:41:22 AM

He suggested that the Nostromo crew weren't necessarily all hetero.

[Request Clarification of SM Comment, Please: where was this suggested?]

SM

Pretty sure it was on the commentary for the original DVD release.

(Mind you it's been a while since I listened to it, so might be misremembering.)

XenoHunter99

re:motherfather: I like your answer  :)

FenGiddel

Quote from: SM on Feb 27, 2017, 12:21:50 AM
Pretty sure it was on the commentary for the original DVD release.

(Mind you it's been a while since I listened to it, so might be misremembering.)

Ok. I was thinking along the lines of the cut scene between Ripley and Lambert, about Ash.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed