Current/Last Album you listened to was...

Started by Space_Dementia, May 19, 2011, 02:37:51 PM

Author
Current/Last Album you listened to was... (Read 44,386 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Genesis - Duke

Genesis - Calling All Stations
The album and all 8 of the b-sides/unreleased tracks. There are some brilliant songs here that deserve more love like There Must Be Some Other Way, The Dividing Line, One Mans Fool and Nowhere Else To Turn. Still annoys me that Rutherford decided he didnt want to do another one while, Wilson and Banks were all for it.

Calling All Stations - Fan Version
A alternate version i created using all the tracks, where i made what i feel is a more complete album

HuDaFuK

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Sep 09, 2017, 01:22:42 AMPink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds (music from the film 'La Vallée')

I completely ignored that one for years because no one ever talks about it, and was really pleasantly surprised when I finally got it. I love "The Gold, it's in the..." I always enjoy it when Floyd just genuinely rock out.

FiorinaFury161

4 months between posts?!?! Well, here are some of this previous week's albums:

Rush - Power Windows

A personal favorite, still love the keyboards era Rush. Big Money used to be my fav Rush track, some real underheard ones here.

8.5/10

Weezer - The Blue Album

Awesome. Just awesome. Top 10 album from the 90s decade. After Pinkerton, everything went south, just not in a hurry fortunately.

10/10

Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands Part II

Back when the band was great. Truly a movie without the pictures, shame everything went bonkers for them after this album.

10/10

Pet Shop Boys - Electric

PSB are a little off in this album, but always on cue. Certainly not a good starting point, but still good. The final track, Vocal, may be their best newer closing tracks, and it was just nuts seeing them perform it in person at Madison Square Garden last year.

7/10

Oasis - What's the Story? (Morning Glory)

This album is simply a must own for everyone. Possibly the greatest album from the 90s, imo. Just wow.

12/10

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

There are many reasons why Genesis are my favorite overall band... this album could be the number one or two reason. Many of the band members were going thru interesting points in their personal lives, especially Peter Gabriel, when they were writing and recording this double album. PG announced he would be leaving the band, and Phil jokingly said "Well, we will just become an instrumental band (laughs)." It is a concept album about a juvenile Puerto Rican youth named "Rael", and his insane adventure in (then) 1970s NYC underworld. Some people describe this album as the monumental "Acid Rock" album
Spoiler
And I can confirm this after tripping on it :o
[close]
and it is surprisingly looked oddly at by the band years later. When the tour for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway began, the band played the entire album every night (they were exhausted when it concluded) and did not know what to expect from the fans coming in expecting to hear classics from Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, etc. The band was shocked to learn everyone really enjoyed it and did not mind missing the classics. After playing the album, the band would end the concert with inter-tying tracks of The Musical Box and Watcher Of The Skies. While no full concert footage exists, many hardcore fans created what they could with bits and pieces of footage that was recorded.

Much like the synchronization of Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon with The Wizard of Oz, someone mixed TLLDOB with Disney's animated classic Alice In Wonderland and it works too. My friend burned me a copy on DVD and I am very glad he did, as it was taken down a few months later and has never returned since.

So, I certainly could go over every track (23 overall), but I will not. All I can say is this album changed my life forever and holds a special place in my musical heart. If the band could have ended Peter's time in the band perfectly, it is this album. Simply mind blowing music by the band and hauntingly real lyric (and flute solos) by PG. Classic tracks like The Carpet Crawlers, The Lamia, The Colony of the Slippermen, Counting Out Time, it. and so many more. When I saw Steve Hackett (the guitarist) live in 2010, he shockingly played my favorite song (posted below) and I was in bliss to hear it live. I was literally feet away from him too in the first row. While I highly doubt the band will ever tour again, to hear what I could live with SH and the Canadian cover band The Musical Box (the only authorized band by Genesis to recreate their 70s era concerts) I will always treasure.

Infinity/10

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9X2QtzCvBQ

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jan 14, 2018, 03:01:59 PM

There are many reasons why Genesis are my favorite overall band... this album could be the number one or two reason. Many of the band members were going thru interesting points in their personal lives, especially Peter Gabriel, when they were writing and recording this double album. PG announced he would be leaving the band, and Phil jokingly said "Well, we will just become an instrumental band (laughs)." It is a concept album about a juvenile Puerto Rican youth named "Rael", and his insane adventure in (then) 1970s NYC underworld. Some people describe this album as the monumental "Acid Rock" album
Spoiler
And I can confirm this after tripping on it :o
[close]
and it is surprisingly looked oddly at by the band years later. When the tour for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway began, the band played the entire album every night (they were exhausted when it concluded) and did not know what to expect from the fans coming in expecting to hear classics from Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, etc. The band was shocked to learn everyone really enjoyed it and did not mind missing the classics. After playing the album, the band would end the concert with inter-tying tracks of The Musical Box and Watcher Of The Skies. While no full concert footage exists, many hardcore fans created what they could with bits and pieces of footage that was recorded.

Much like the synchronization of Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon with The Wizard of Oz, someone mixed TLLDOB with Disney's animated classic Alice In Wonderland and it works too. My friend burned me a copy on DVD and I am very glad he did, as it was taken down a few months later and has never returned since.

So, I certainly could go over every track (23 overall), but I will not. All I can say is this album changed my life forever and holds a special place in my musical heart. If the band could have ended Peter's time in the band perfectly, it is this album. Simply mind blowing music by the band and hauntingly real lyric (and flute solos) by PG. Classic tracks like The Carpet Crawlers, The Lamia, The Colony of the Slippermen, Counting Out Time, it. and so many more. When I saw Steve Hackett (the guitarist) live in 2010, he shockingly played my favorite song (posted below) and I was in bliss to hear it live. I was literally feet away from him too in the first row. While I highly doubt the band will ever tour again, to hear what I could live with SH and the Canadian cover band The Musical Box (the only authorized band by Genesis to recreate their 70s era concerts) I will always treasure.

Infinity/10

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9X2QtzCvBQ

Great album. One of the best concept albums of all time

FiorinaFury161

Yep. Here it is. IMO, the greatest album of Progressive Rock ever. Worthy of a track by track breakdown? You bet.

Dancing With The Moonlit Knight - Holy shit, this is amazing in every sense of the word. Outstanding, euphoric, everything.

I Know What I Like - Only PG can write lyrics about a lawnmower and a lazy guy and make it sound fantastic.

Firth Of Fifth - Some of the greatest keyboards and guitar solos I have ever heard all bundled into one song.

More Fool Me - Who knew what was to come with that drummer taking the lead vocals...

The Battle Of Epping Forest - Now here is a quite interesting song. Tony Banks has said he never really cared for this song, but the story and music are great.

After The Ordeal - Pretty much a complete Steve Hackett solo as a song. Bliss.

The Cinema Show - How can a band round out a perfect, unbelievable, unforgettable album? By creating the most epic song ever. The final four minutes of this are just insane to think one person is on keyboards (Banks). Why aren't you listening to this album yet?!?!

Aisle Of Plenty - Again, Banks has said he doesn't care for this song and thought of it as filler. Blending into TCS, we are revisited by hints of Dancing With.. to complete the album. Wow.

As you can tell, I adore and treasure this album. Highly likely this music is what you hear in heaven.

Infinity X infinity/10

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jan 18, 2018, 12:34:45 PM

Yep. Here it is. IMO, the greatest album of Progressive Rock ever. Worthy of a track by track breakdown? You bet.

Dancing With The Moonlit Knight - Holy shit, this is amazing in every sense of the word. Outstanding, euphoric, everything.

I Know What I Like - Only PG can write lyrics about a lawnmower and a lazy guy and make it sound fantastic.

Firth Of Fifth - Some of the greatest keyboards and guitar solos I have ever heard all bundled into one song.

More Fool Me - Who knew what was to come with that drummer taking the lead vocals...

The Battle Of Epping Forest - Now here is a quite interesting song. Tony Banks has said he never really cared for this song, but the story and music are great.

After The Ordeal - Pretty much a complete Steve Hackett solo as a song. Bliss.

The Cinema Show - How can a band round out a perfect, unbelievable, unforgettable album? By creating the most epic song ever. The final four minutes of this are just insane to think one person is on keyboards (Banks). Why aren't you listening to this album yet?!?!

Aisle Of Plenty - Again, Banks has said he doesn't care for this song and thought of it as filler. Blending into TCS, we are revisited by hints of Dancing With.. to complete the album. Wow.

As you can tell, I adore and treasure this album. Highly likely this music is what you hear in heaven.

Infinity X infinity/10

It is spot on. I just love he wrote I Know what I Like (In Your Wardrobe) based on the cover painting. and it was a hit lol

Emma Blackery - Magnetised E.P.
Just an absolutely beautiful CD. Some great songs, with my favourite being the new version of Don't Come Home

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Another Genesis album worthy of a track by track breakdown, but I will sum it up in one sentence:

From the beginning chords of Watcher Of The Skies to the final moments of Suppers Ready, it is a euphoric experience comparable to morphine.

Legendary Prog Rock classic in its finest moments.

Infinity/10

Genesis lost Anthony Phillips on guitar and picked up some guy named Steve Hackett. Oh, they also replaced the drummer with some homeless looking guy named Phil Collins. Think it turned out okay. ;)

Although a tad uninspiring, but they all so young and were just finding their signature traits. The Musicial Box and The Fountain of Salmacis are two of my top 8 Genesis songs, which are present here.

Infinity/10

Their unofficial debut album, is a heavily underrated piece of art. Extremely mellow and folky, it has an atmosphere they were never able to repeat, which is ok. White Mountain, Looking For Someone, and The Knife are great listens, especially during sad times. Interesting to think how the direction of the band's sound would have been if Anthony Phillips stayed in the band...

Infinity/10

A revisit to my Pagan Black Metal days. Kinda sounds like they had Summoning - Lugburz on their mind when recording, as it sounds like Lugburz Part II. Which certainly is a good thing! Good stuff from Germany.

7/10

Stitch

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Feb 01, 2018, 10:12:50 PM

Another Genesis album worthy of a track by track breakdown, but I will sum it up in one sentence:

From the beginning chords of Watcher Of The Skies to the final moments of Suppers Ready, it is a euphoric experience comparable to morphine.

Legendary Prog Rock classic in its finest moments.

Infinity/10

http://img.discogs.com/SxtnD4WJ2Llk6tsTwpnKayMS5mE=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-1907830-1381776432-5498.jpeg.jpg

Genesis lost Anthony Phillips on guitar and picked up some guy named Steve Hackett. Oh, they also replaced the drummer with some homeless looking guy named Phil Collins. Think it turned out okay. ;)

Although a tad uninspiring, but they all so young and were just finding their signature traits. The Musicial Box and The Fountain of Salmacis are two of my top 8 Genesis songs, which are present here.

Infinity/10

https://img.discogs.com/jlaqlgFP_PIlGOn573lvSlAGIiw=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-824159-1381773004-9152.jpeg.jpg

Their unofficial debut album, is a heavily underrated piece of art. Extremely mellow and folky, it has an atmosphere they were never able to repeat, which is ok. White Mountain, Looking For Someone, and The Knife are great listens, especially during sad times. Interesting to think how the direction of the band's sound would have been if Anthony Phillips stayed in the band...

Infinity/10

https://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/0/4/3/504378.jpg?1017

A revisit to my Pagan Black Metal days. Kinda sounds like they had Summoning - Lugburz on their mind when recording, as it sounds like Lugburz Part II. Which certainly is a good thing! Good stuff from Germany.

7/10

Foxtrot is really where they came into their own.

But don't forget the From Genesis to Revelation album. which is technically the debut

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

The Eternal from Sonic Youth

Wweyland

Sigur Rós - Heima

FiorinaFury161

@ Whiskey: FGTR is their debut, but many unknownst people think Trespass is their first true Genesis album (even tho it isn't :P )

Their first live album, and dayumm it is great. Great recording and mixing (especially for 1973), shame we didn't get Suppers Ready bc the cover shows Peter in the Magog costume, but that's ok.
Spoiler
Rumor has it some original copies from Belgium DO have the track...???
[close]
Absolutely fantastic in every way, even further listening proof Genesis is my favorite band of all time.

Infinity/10

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Feb 08, 2018, 11:46:51 PM
@ Whiskey: FGTR is their debut, but many unknownst people think Trespass is their first true Genesis album (even tho it isn't :P )

http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/g/genesis~~~~_live~~~~~_101b.jpg

Their first live album, and dayumm it is great. Great recording and mixing (especially for 1973), shame we didn't get Suppers Ready bc the cover shows Peter in the Magog costume, but that's ok.
Spoiler
Rumor has it some original copies from Belgium DO have the track...???
[close]
Absolutely fantastic in every way, even further listening proof Genesis is my favorite band of all time.

Infinity/10

People just want to forget about Jonathan King lol

I have this live album on Vinyl. It is great. Im sure there is a longer bootleg out there with Suppers Ready

FiorinaFury161

Finally got a chance to relax driving in the mountains with this album blaring. I was kinda expecting to hear "Old Mornings Dawn" Part II, but I was wrong! This album takes a much more atmospheric, dark approach (as if that's even possible with Summoning :P ) and it blew me away! This may be their best album since LMHSYF, fantastic work, Protector and Silenius! The bonus two track album from the box set is also ace, the final track being an instrumental masterpiece. Summoning does it again, only this time, its truly unforgettable on every track.

11+/10

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed