Official Prometheus Website Updated

Started by ikarop, Apr 26, 2012, 09:14:05 PM

Author
Official Prometheus Website Updated (Read 30,257 times)

harlock

Depends on the range of them. I expect with time, a whole planet could be mapped out, but seems to me now that in ALIENS W-Y was hella negligent aslong as the bucks came pouring in.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: harlock on Apr 27, 2012, 02:06:36 AM
Depends on the range of them. I expect with time, a whole planet could be mapped out, but seems to me now that in ALIENS W-Y was hella negligent aslong as the bucks came pouring in.
Almost a hundred plus years after they've developed levitating, 3D terrain mapping devices that can function in any atmosphere--surely the tech would have even progressed exponentially beyond that by the time of ALIENS.

Anarchist86ed

Quote from: zuzuki on Apr 26, 2012, 10:11:43 PM
QuoteWeyland's energy sector products power billions of homes, schools and businesses on Earth and its 63 colonies
QuoteThe Weyland process of terraforming is uniquely successful. We explore each new planet discovered in the habitable zone of distant stars. Thousands of Weyland engineers and scientists are then dispatched to the newly discovered solar system. After setting up a temporary base, the planetary engineers spend months exhaustively testing the seismic stability, core layer densities and the soundness of the planet's ionosphere, noting weather patterns and pressure fluctuations.

If the conditions are favorable in most respects, Weyland employees claim a new territory in the name of the company, and only then begin constructing an Atmosphere Processor to initiate terraforming. The total process can take anywhere from 5 to 20 years depending on conditions

so by 2080-2090 earth has managed to colonize 63 planets. and for each colony to be established it takes 5 to 20 years. that means colonizing has started at least 20 years prior to the date of the movie.

i really hate the timeline. they could have made it more grounded in reality. i can't even imagine the resources needed to colonize 60 planets, the money, the man power, how hard would be to build those giant terraforming stations. and all by a private company. this is wishfull thinking at best

Except they mention FTL. You know... faster then light. But that's really not all that fast. So, yeh, it sound ridiculous.

Predaker

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 27, 2012, 02:03:38 AM
Quote from: Predaker on Apr 27, 2012, 01:09:31 AM
The people working on the website viral stuff would probably get shoved into a wall by Ridley if they met in person. (Sorry Cvalda! Or congratulations?)
:'( :'( :'(

:P
I don't own a script, and I will probably never meet Ridley. But if somehow I do acquire a script, and I get to meet Ridley, and he agrees to sign it... I will make damn sure it says, "To Cvalda..." when he signs it.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 27, 2012, 02:16:10 AM
I don't own a script, and I will probably never meet Ridley. But if somehow I do acquire a script, and I get to meet Ridley, and he agrees to sign it... I will make damn sure it says, "To Cvalda..." when he signs it.
Spoiler
[close]

Eva

Eva

Great stuff... the atmosphere processor design as well. As far as the viral campaign goes, it's safe to say that Camerons Aliens is canon... I wonder if there will be a tiny nod somewhere in Prometheus from Scott to Cameron, in a sort of blink-and-you'll miss it fashion...

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

I'm all for linking Aliens and Prometheus together, it's just a shame that it has been done in such a sloppy way. When facts put forward in the viral material outright contradict exposition from the former film it makes you wonder whether they give a rats arse about what they are doing at all, or why they even bothered in the first place. Making this stuff fit is not so hard, and most - if not all - of the people here could of done a far, far better job of it. Why even bother paying fan service when you can't even be arsed enough to make it coherent?

Sure, it's just a viral, that's fine, but it is so mixed up in the setup of the new film that taking some aspects seriously and trying to ignore the rest is really hard to do.

ikarop

ikarop

Unused images from the designer's portfolio. Thanks to Seeasea for the link.

d0mm2k8

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Apr 27, 2012, 08:52:59 AM
When facts put forward in the viral material outright contradict exposition from the former film
Except it's not.

chupacabras acheronsis

the storm doesn't look like a pulse rifle... it IS a pulse rifle. same grip, same frame, same receiver, same heat shield, same magazine(that couldn't even FIT a 5.56), same grenade launcher. it's just a very lazily edited pulse rifle with a pad on the stock, a longer barrel and a really shitty looking scope. it doesn't have an antenna or anything close to something that could communicate with a satellite, as the pulse rifle didn't either. they should have put a proto-smartgun if they wanted to make all that tracking stuff make some sense at least.

the AP... i guess it would work if the one in the website said "coming soon" and it told us it's just a concept render, and by the time of aliens we could asume WY was just using old hardware because they're cheap bastards. but it doesn't. technology is that stangnant in the Aliens universe.

but the power loader is the worst of all. i mean, we have power loaders right now. they could have pasted an image of this:

and it would have worked better.

i'm dissapointed at how they prefered to give fan service to casuals than getting creative and show us neat new stuff.

Deuterium

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 27, 2012, 05:59:56 PM
Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 27, 2012, 05:58:38 PM
Woops...mods, can you move my previous reply over to the "Space Exploration" thread you started in General Discussion.  I posted this before I realized you had split the topic.

Thanks.

just copy it, delete it, and post it again.

Done.

Predaker

Would the grenade launcher/underslung shotgun even be able to work with that long barrel directly overhead? That looks like it would cause problems...

chupacabras acheronsis

shotguns aren't water sprinklers. even loads like birdshot don't spread more than a few centimeters at a maximum range, let alone right out of the muzzle.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Forgive my nubbery, but is thy why people saw the ends off them? To make the spread wider?

Predaker

Quote from: Vulhala on Apr 27, 2012, 07:21:23 PM
Forgive my nubbery, but is thy why people saw the ends off them? To make the spread wider?
Yes I believe it does make it spread wider in a shorter distance. Mainly a sawed off is easier to conceal with a lot of close range firepower.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed