The Witcher (Netflix)

Started by Ingwar, May 17, 2017, 12:17:20 PM

Author
The Witcher (Netflix) (Read 22,866 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

I honestly hope they'll change their decision otherwise shit storm will flood them big time. Fans are getting fooking furious right now.

QuoteThe Witcher [Confidential]
THE WITCHER for Netflix
Overall shoot dates: 18th October 2018 - end May 2019

CIRI
LEAD ROLE. OPTIONS REQUIRED
Cirilla. The Lion Cub of Cintra

Looking for a 16 or 15 year old BAME girl who can play down to 13/14.  Must not be older than 18 years old.

Resilient, Relentless, Brazen, Growing.

CIRI can often be found rough-housing with the Palace hands instead of sitting in finery at the knee of the QUEEN CALANTHE, her grandmother. That is, until Cintra is massacred by the Nilfgaardians and CIRI is orphaned, left to traverse THE CONTINENT, alone.  She doesn't know it yet, but she's a direct descendent of LARA DORREN, an Elven Mage – which is why everyone in our series is after her. We follow CIRI as she evades her captors, and in the meantime, discovers her magical talents, her dark side, and the role she is to play in the coming apocalypse.  We are looking for an extraordinary young talent to lead this series. She should be brave hearted and MUST have something truly special about her.

The Witcher an 8 x one hour, fantasy drama for Netflix created by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich (The West Wing, The Defenders, Daredevil) and based on the book series of the same name by Andrzej Sapkowski.

GERALT, a genetically enhanced monster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts.

GERALT's story entwines with CIRI, an orphaned young girl who wants to find a family & YENNEFER, a powerful sorceress whose beauty and talent come at cost.

Bound together by destiny, often against their will, the three must navigate THE CONTINENT together. And Geralt and Yennefer reliaze that they must protect this girl - who might just destroy the world. Need we say more?

If you fit the bill, please submit a headshot and CV to sophiehollandcast@gmail.com with the subject line 'NYT The Witcher' asap

http://www.nyt.org.uk/my-account/opportunities/film-theatre-and-tv-industry-castings

Is this website legit?

Highland

Highland

I dunno, depends how she does I guess. It would be a bit strange since it's not just a book to movie, but a game to movie and people already have images in their head.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Well it's trendy ya know. The other way around though ? Portray Blade or Luke Cage as a white dude ? LOL you'll have the whole universe falling on you for doing that... But if the actress is good, that would be enough for me.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Master on Sep 08, 2018, 08:36:35 PM
In LOTR remake Gandalf will be black and gay...

I can assure you forced diversity has no limits.

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 08, 2018, 08:45:09 PM
I honestly hope they'll change their decision otherwise shit storm will flood them big time. Fans are getting fooking furious right now.

And they should, the people in charge are purposely doing something that they know will piss off the fans and highjacking a series for their own personal bias.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 09, 2018, 11:56:19 AM
Portray Blade or Luke Cage as a white dude ? LOL you'll have the whole universe falling on you for doing that...

Haha imagine if this had happened:

Highland

Highland

Happened with Nick Fury.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Highland on Sep 08, 2018, 11:48:58 PM
I dunno, depends how she does I guess. It would be a bit strange since it's not just a book to movie, but a game to movie and people already have images in their head.

It's not a game into a movie. Series is going to be based entirely upon the books. It has nothing to do with games.

Sapkowski's Witcher is strongly influenced by Eastern European (Slavic folklore and so on) and Celtic cultures. It's a cult following series in Eastern Europe, especially in Poland. I'm Polish and I know what I'm talking about. For Polish fans Witcher is like The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter for English. Imagine non-white Harry Potter or non-white Robin Hood or non-white King Arthur. Witcher is our Game of Thrones.

Ciri is white because her mother and father were white. Now they're gonna be Black, Asian, Latino looking?

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 09, 2018, 02:01:05 PM

It's not a game into a movie. Series is going to be based entirely upon the books. It has nothing to do with games.

Well it's probably a bit more open to interpretation then, I mean Red in the Shawshank redemption book was an Irish guy.

Master

Master

Sapkowski's Witcher is strongly influenced by Eastern European (Slavic folklore and so on) and Celtic cultures. It's a cult following series in Eastern Europe, especially in Poland. I'm Polish and I know what I'm talking about. For Polish fans Witcher is like The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter for English. Imagine non-white Harry Potter or non-white Robin Hood or non-white King Arthur. Wittcher is our Game of Thrones.

Ciri is white because her mother and father were white. Now they're gonna be Black, Asian, Latino looking?
I'm Polish too and agree with you 100%.  Look at Lord of the Rings adaptation, everyone is white too!

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Highland on Sep 09, 2018, 02:04:33 PM

Well it's probably a bit more open to interpretation then, I mean Red in the Shawshank redemption book was an Irish guy.

Yeah, but this is different example. Making Red a Black guy in Shawshank didn't change anything. Making Ciri non-white changes a lot because The Witcher series are based upon Slavic/Celtic folklore and culture. Ciri is daughter of Pavetta and
Spoiler
Emhyr var Emreis
[close]
who were white. Cintra was ruled by white people. That's the source material. You cannot change that. It's suicidal. Fans will boycott this.

Highland

Highland

If it's based on some culture, then yeah I can see why people would get upset about that. At this point though are you surprised.

The whole thing with movies and shows is some kind of social experiment at this point.

Ingwar

Ingwar

I have nothing against diversity. I, myself, am a liberal. I'm not racist, I'm for gay, women, abortion rights and so on. You name it. I'm open-minded person but when somebody tries to force agenda (regarding movies) down the throat just for sake of diversity then I'm against that.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Highland on Sep 09, 2018, 01:59:17 PM
Happened with Nick Fury.

We were talking about the other way around.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Sapkowski's Witcher is strongly influenced by Eastern European (Slavic folklore and so on) and Celtic cultures. It's a cult following series in Eastern Europe, especially in Poland. I'm Polish and I know what I'm talking about. For Polish fans Witcher is like The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter for English. Imagine non-white Harry Potter or non-white Robin Hood or non-white King Arthur. Witcher is our Game of Thrones.

Well, the author seems to think otherwise :P

https://twitter.com/LHissrich/status/994977654750167040

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 09, 2018, 03:31:23 PM
I'm open-minded person but when somebody tries to force agenda (regarding movies) down the throat just for sake of diversity then I'm against that.

Get used to being against some future series, things will only get worse.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 09, 2018, 03:35:18 PM
We were talking about the other way around.

The other way around doesn't happen that often.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

It is better to not upset the Polish people, and I'm aware of how important is this particular canon for them. But the thing is that not every single fan was raised in that part of the world. Some are just racist folks. Also, the Witcher is a fantasy world, based on another fantasy from the real world but still a fantasy at the end of the day.  :P

The essence of the character should be more important than his/her physical appearance. Also, Poland was much more diverse in the past: Ethnic minorities in Poland.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed