Alien: Isolation in Game Republic

Started by ikarop, Jan 08, 2014, 07:40:38 PM

Author
Alien: Isolation in Game Republic (Read 39,449 times)

ikarop

ikarop

Alien: isolation is the cover story of the January issue of the Italian magazine, Game Republic. The 10-page article features new images and details on the game by Sega & Creative Assembly. You can find the scans here. Some bullets from the interview:

• The expected gameplay length is “more than a dozen hours“.
  • There will be no facehuggers. The Alien is fully grown when Amanda reaches the station.
  • Amanda is the only playable character.
  • Gameplay wise, the game will be the same across all platforms.

Game_Republic_2014-cover Alien: Isolation in Game Republic

ikarop

ikarop

Interview translated by Google:

Spoiler
QuoteThis title is closely related to the movie Alien . you can reveal something more than the plot of the game ?

Alien : Isolation is set fifteen years after the disappearance of the Nostromo . We wanted it to be closely related to Ridley Scott. The main character is Amanda , the daughter of Ellen Ripley, who absolutely wants to know what happened to her
mother , and because the Nostromo is apparently disappeared in the nothing in response to his journey. In the story, is found the black box of the ship, projected into space before his self-destruction , and then is sent to a group of volunteers
to recover , in a remote space station . But all is not as it should be , and the daughter of Ripley finds himself therefore to face the same kind of horror at what he had found fifteen years before his mother.

Apparently, during the spacewalk Amanda from ship to train something will happen , so the player find himself isolated within the complex.

Yes, it is this: in the course of the passage, a certain event will force the protagonist, and as a result the player to find himself alone inside the space station.

But Amanda will always be alone for the whole game or will way of interacting with other human beings ?

No, there will also be a way to interact with the inhabitants of the station space , although they are not very numerous. These meetings and the interaction that will follow will allow the player to discover as anything more about the plot

The gameplay will change a lot in the points of the game in which we interact with other human characters ?

Today, we did try one of the parts of the game that we like the most , when we wanted to develop the element pure terror in contact with the alien, and the need to escape , in full following the style of the first Alien , but Alien : Isolation
There will also be other elements and other experiences. obviously , we felt the need to enter the tension and anxiety that is felt in the film, but as the player will continue in game , will have access to other tools, and different situations that
allow to vary the experience . The situations that you will find in live , in short, will be quite varied, in order to keep Always interested .

Approximately, how long will the game?

Depends: players tend to react differently and behave in differently to situations in which they find themselves involved .
In several cases , the players are so deeply immersed in world , actually full of details , which we created by put much more time than expected to complete the experience , fun to explore it in depth . Even as regards interaction with the alien , people tend to react in different ways, for adopt different styles of play , but usually the pace in those sections slows down , the player does not risk tends to be cautious and careful . In truth , at this point we can not say how long it will take , on average, to complete the entire game from start to finish , but that we can say is that it will not be too much experience short . Of course we are talking about more than a dozen hours of play.

Alien : Isolation is only a single player game , right?

Yes , that's right . Moreover , being a gaming experience that want to recreate the feeling of being alone and isolated , had necessarily be single player, would not make sense otherwise . The presence of other characters moved by players
human would totally distracted by this feeling, and not we really wanted it to happen . You said that you are willing to follow the rules of the great classics of science fiction, so starting with a slower pace and doing increase the tension.

We can expect a beginning similar to Half-Life , in which the protagonist simply went around the structure as if anything were to happen , before the story had its dramatic turn of events ?

Yes, actually we believe it is essential in this type game , allowing the player to learn about the world in which will move, gradually introduce it in this world , and to grow slowly the tension, without immediately throw it in the middle action. This game is based on the anticipation , the mystery , the Not knowing what to expect around the corner. So you do not have to be perceived as slow , but just to give a sense of tension growing , as happens in the films of this type .

The enemy is really only one Alien?

Yes, that's what we wanted to achieve , by connecting deeply to the first film . In the previous games , the experience was basically to put the player against a horde of aliens , equipping the right weapons to defend themselves and fight. us
Instead we tried to build a completely different experience : we want to In fact, putting the player in the position of having to survive a single , lethal alien, too strong to face it head on.

Will we have the opportunity to find other development stages of the Alien, for example the Facehugger? *Updated the translation*

No, actually when the player reaches the space station, the Alien is already fully developed, therefore, as opposed to what happened to Ripley in the original film, there won't be in this case an encounter with the "newborn" form of the creature. It will be the task of the player to unveil the mystery of the Alien's presence aboard the space station, something that will happen further in the game.

We may also interpret other characters during adventure, or only play as Amanda Ripley ?

We wanted to concentrate on the story of Amanda and her research mother's death , so she will be the protagonist
of the story, and the player will fall only in his shoes .

In discovering the events that have happened on the space station , If so we will have to relive the memories of someone playing in his shoes ?

Definitely on the space station there is much to discover, and We tried to make it a place that the player wants to explore from top to bottom to actually understand in detail the events that have played a leading role . So we scattered Station information and mysteries to be discovered, either in the form environmental situations that of characters to meet and from which be told something of what happened : the player , only impersonating Amanda Ripley , you can still
discover a wealth of information on the game world and events that led him there.

What can you tell me about any tools and weapons presentii in the game?

We know that you can not kill the alien , of course ... More than anything, we focused on the tools , resources to available to the player , on the objects that the player can find around, take and use to survive and exploit to their Please environments that will cross . Then you will be able to use individual instruments in different ways , or put together the objects to build something useful in different circumstances.

We can also expect some nasty encounter regardless of those with the alien, as happened for example with the character of Ash, the synthetic hostile from the first film ?

As we said, there are others on the space station survivors, and we are talking about desperate people trying to withstand a nameless horror , and their reactions to the various events that will happen will be different , and may also
lead to negative consequences for the player. Moreover , one the most interesting aspects of the film was just the tension
growing between the human characters , who became more and more between their aggressive and paranoid , as the situation fell more and more. It is an aspect that we wanted to  exploring , wondering what happens to people when they are in desperate conditions in which she is forced to make choices even tragic in order to survive .

And as for the difficulty ? You can choose between different levels ? There will be a way to help the player stuck in a
certain section ?

It must be said that we are faced with a new experience ... it is also for us, so we spend a lot of time that there remains for the development of the game to observe the way where people will face the game and how it will be able to play .  ven today we can say that we are learning something new every day on this issue , and then on the level of difficulty and learning curve of the game. We are working at the levels of difficulty and of course we are looking for a solution that satisfies us , because we want the gaming experience was similar for all, and we do not want People do not have fun : the experience must be so terrifying , but also thrilling and exciting for players . We are trying to find the right balance between these two emotions.

Worry a bit ' checkpoints , which seem rather spaced. In games based on the narrative , having too many times to repeat the same section can break the tension and connecting the player with the story ...

At this stage of development, our greatest concern is just to get as much information as possible about the approach to the game and how to make an balanced . We have no intention to create a game punitive , but ... we want players to have fun from beginning to end and not find it frustrating , but do not make it too easy. It's a question of balance, and obviously we are trying to place the checkpoint in the proper steps , so as not to make frustrating the game in case of death of the character.

At the moment, when you look at the map , the action stops : since this is a game based mostly on the voltage and fear, you have not thought to the possibility of letting everything happens in real time, including the control of the map,
not "freeze " the action , a little ' as in Dead Space ?

Surely this is an issue on which we are reflecting , and that you have seen today is not the final decision . there is also to say that the game does not go into pause when selecting objects to be used , and by the time we preferred to  Pause when you look at the map because we believe it is more useful to the player to figure out just where to go to continue the game, so do it while you are not in a panic it seemed the best way to take advantage of this feature Surely we'll find out in the course of the test and which will be the best choice for us , so as to make a decision final judgment .

Speaking of the connection with the film , Fox allowed you to expand the official plot , perhaps with information regarding
the characters or the situations narrated in the course of the series , but never told in the movie?

In fact, we remain very important in the plot of the series, without change events and keeping to what all the fans can
recognize how "right" we do not want that no one can tell us , in fact, they have changed or misrepresented the plot of the series . not is no coincidence that we chose a period of time where no He never spoke in the series, that moment when Amanda is alive and his mother is still missing in space, and in which we could explore a part of the story never told before.

The difference between the old and new gen versions of the game is only in terms
graphics , or even of gameplay ?

The basic experience , on all platforms , it will be the same, At least as far as the gameplay. Then of course on next-generation platforms you can take advantage of more powerful graphics and a more immersive and in fact
better , smoother, more spectacular , this is clear.
[close]

newbeing

Kind of disappointed that we won't see the lifecycle play out in some manner, but I'm assuming we as players are going to find out who birthed the alien and how it got on board. Might be a better way of going about it than actually seeing it happen, as we have numerous times and it will add some mystery to those who are not familiar with the franchise.

Jango1201

Google is a horrible translator  :D

D.R.

D.R.

Will be interesting to see how they will stretch avoiding one alien for 12 hours... I guess you'll be fighting/running from androids and company men; looking for clues, getting lost, looking for a map etc... I wish they would change their mind about Ripley's daughter... so lame.

TBH game sounds boring but it seems to be going in a better direction than ACM... but what wouldn't?

ShadowPred

Well at the very least they talked about continuity and how they're not gonna change any events we witnessed in the films.

woor

MrSpaceJockey

The idea of the black box being jettisoned out of the ship before self destruction sounds logical, like standard protocol to keep some sort of record that might indicate why a ship would be set to self-destruct.  But I can't help but be irked by the question of why it wouldn't be brought up at Ripley's inquiry meeting in Aliens.

I really hope they do not make a lot of plot holes.  So much potential for a great in-canon storyline, in addition to a great game.

ShadowPred

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 08, 2014, 09:41:58 PM
The idea of the black box being jettisoned out of the ship before self destruction sounds logical, like standard protocol to keep some sort of record that might indicate why a ship would be set to self-destruct.  But I can't help but be irked by the question of why it wouldn't be brought up at Ripley's inquiry meeting in Aliens.

Possibly because the thing is never going to get retrieved. In the game Amanda is heading over to the ship or station that has the blackbox. They try to communicate with the crew, but they can't get a response. Shit obviously goes down from what we see, and remember, there's a corporate presence in the background known as Seegson that seems shady as hell to me that is also going to be involved. All in all, it's not hard to imagine the blackbox isn't going to get in the hands of Weyland Yutani.

hfeldhaus

Easier to just make it a digital black box that sent everything back to the company. No need for an actual black box, I'm guessing by then black box won't even be used

MrSpaceJockey

Well there was a physical flight recorder on the Sulaco's EEV in Alien 3. But I suppose it's likely they'll have both a physical black box located on the ship/EEVs in addition to a transmission that would be sent back.  I now recall Bishop's "the company knows everything" line.

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jan 08, 2014, 09:48:38 PM

Possibly because the thing is never going to get retrieved. In the game Amanda is heading over to the ship or station that has the blackbox. They try to communicate with the crew, but they can't get a response. Shit obviously goes down from what we see, and remember, there's a corporate presence in the background known as Seegson that seems shady as hell to me that is also going to be involved. All in all, it's not hard to imagine the blackbox isn't going to get in the hands of Weyland Yutani.

Maybe. Really wonder what this Seegson Corporation is all about.  I suppose they could have gotten the black box but the station and character uniforms (we've seen so far) look so blatantly Weyland-Yutani it's hard to say.

ShadowPred

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jan 08, 2014, 09:50:38 PM
Easier to just make it a digital black box that sent everything back to the company. No need for an actual black box, I'm guessing by then black box won't even be used

Remember, the movie came out in 1979. The black boxes in planes and whatnot still used magnetic tape until the 90s. The devs of this game stayed true to the tech that was available at the time the movie was made. They made it a point to not use technology in the game that could not have been made in the 70s.

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 08, 2014, 09:54:39 PM

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jan 08, 2014, 09:48:38 PM

Maybe. Really wonder what this Seegson Corporation is all about.  I suppose they could have gotten the black box but the station and character uniforms (we've seen so far) look so blatantly Weyland-Yutani it's hard to say.

The character uniforms I'm guessing are from the Weyland Yutani crew that Amanda goes with to retrieve the Black Box from whoever salvaged it. Also, if you're wondering about what Seegson is about, they're essentially a wannabe Weyland Yutani. They work with the same types of technology, except that Seegson is not at the same level of quality as Weyland Yutani is. I recall one quote from an article I read yesterday that said something about seeing a synthetic ripped in half, except that it looked more like a mannequin than what Ash (used as an example) looked like. It was then that the article mentioned Seegson.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jan 08, 2014, 10:00:09 PM
The character uniforms I'm guessing are from the Weyland Yutani crew that Amanda goes with to retrieve the Black Box from whoever salvaged it. Also, if you're wondering about what Seegson is about, they're essentially a wannabe Weyland Yutani. They work with the same types of technology, except that Seegson is not at the same level of quality as Weyland Yutani is. I recall one quote from an article I read yesterday that said something about seeing a synthetic ripped in half, except that it looked more like a mannequin than what Ash (used as an example) looked like. It was then that the article mentioned Seegson.

Maybe a synthetic like what you describe was the first image that was leaked from this game?

Interesting stuff though, thanks for telling me what Seegson is.

EDIT: A quick google search tells me they "specialize" in synthetics?  I hope Hyperdyne gets a mention in terms of robot manufacturers.

Xenoscream

Everything in this interview sounds good to me. Happy days, very excited for this game, and cudos to CA for being brave enough to do something different.

Xhan

Xhan

I really hope they do not make a lot of plot holes.  So much potential for a great in-canon storyline, in addition to a great game.

Umm they just did. The content of the black box scroll behind Ripley when she's getting grilled, and the inquest asks her about the context of the actions it recorded.

Same as the Alien grabs Amanda and then uses a literal AvP2010 growl to threaten her.

This game won't be any more authentic or true than any of the other SEGA offerings. It will just look much prettier and grittier.

All respect to Mr. Abnett, his forte is writing about giant aryan ubermensch in giant shoulder pads who shoot all the things and don't not ever lose and stab literal gods themselves in the crotch for great justice in the edgiest egdy grimdarkdarkdark darkness of edgiest grimdarkery made by a company that has a stable of plot so over the top even the creators can't take it seriously with a straight face.

This game is as fanony as any other SEGA offering, it's just being allowed to be marketed as  self aware, because of length and breadth of the f**kuppery present in their previous catalog.

wonkyfunk303

Quote from: Xhan on Jan 08, 2014, 10:16:31 PM

Umm they just did. The content of the black box scroll behind Ripley when she's getting grilled, and the inquest asks her about the context of the actions it recorded.

Same as the Alien grabs Amanda and then uses a literal AvP2010 growl to threaten her.

This game won't be any more authentic or true than any of the other SEGA offerings. It will just look much prettier and grittier.

All respect to Mr. Abnett, his forte is writing about giant aryan ubermensch in giant shoulder pads who shoot all the things and don't not ever lose and stab literal gods themselves in the crotch for great justice in the edgiest egdy grimdarkdarkdark darkness of edgiest grimdarkery made by a company that has a stable of plot so over the top even the creators can't take it seriously with a straight face.

This game is as fanony as any other SEGA offering, it's just being allowed to be marketed as  self aware, because of length and breadth of the f**kuppery present in their previous catalog.

In the novel of aliens it is referenced that the black box was sabotaged before the inquest.....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed