Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 61,956 times)

Vrastal

Is alien echos any good?

If its 8 issues, one a month. So we can expect game release around May to dummer next year, assuming the game releases right after the comics end

SM

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jun 14, 2019, 12:15:29 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 14, 2019, 12:10:01 AM
She'll be older in both.

And my understanding is she's significantly older and barely in the game. It's something like 20 years between this and Echo, then another 30 between the game and this.

Last I heard, the comic wasn't that much after Echo (maybe 10 years tops), but the game was much later.

Xiggz456

Hyped! Glad to see Olivia's story continued and I'm very glad that it's an 8 issue run. Also I'm intrigued at how this is going to tie into the new game. Fingers crossed that TyrannosaurusJones is blessing us with 8 covers!

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: SM on Jun 14, 2019, 12:40:01 AM

Last I heard, the comic wasn't that much after Echo (maybe 10 years tops), but the game was much later.

Hmmm... having not read Echo, how old is she in that? I thought she was only Newt's age? But I guess if she's in her teens then yeah, ten to fifteen years I guess. Brief I got was that she was in her 20's, maybe 30's. Game she's well into her 50's maybe more.

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jun 14, 2019, 12:41:13 AM
Hyped! Glad to see Olivia's story continued and I'm very glad that it's an 8 issue run. Also I'm intrigued at how this is going to tie into the new game. Fingers crossed that TyrannosaurusJones is blessing us with 8 covers!

Thanks! I've done 3 so far...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Maybe some day you can fit in some of those other guns shown in the Sulaco's armory in Aliens.  :)

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Aliens#Rifles

Modified, of course, to fit in with the likes of the pulse rifles and smart guns.  I'd especially like to see that Lewis gun in some form.  It'd make a good alternative to the smart gun for "stand-up fights."

SM

QuoteHmmm... having not read Echo, how old is she in that? I thought she was only Newt's age? But I guess if she's in her teens then yeah, ten to fifteen years I guess. Brief I got was that she was in her 20's, maybe 30's.

She's seventeen in Echo, so that sounds about right.

Kimarhi

They need to update the CM design.  I realize this is classic 80's pop culture iconic design that everybody can look and identify, but they would not keep the same gear that long.  Your adversaries adapt to your defenses and offense and thus you must finally change to throw them off kilter.

Kind of like the US military keeping the 5.56 for so long that Russia and China spent a fortune updating their troops armor to stop that round thus forcing the US military to start developing a weapon system that will use a different cartridge.

Plus, where are the other branches in the Alien universe?  The Army should at least be around talking shit to the crayon eating jarheads, and the leathernecks should be jealous of all the gear the Army is going to get 20 years in advance. 

tyrannosaurusjones

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 14, 2019, 02:30:33 AM
They need to update the CM design.  I realize this is classic 80's pop culture iconic design that everybody can look and identify, but they would not keep the same gear that long.  Your adversaries adapt to your defenses and offense and thus you must finally change to throw them off kilter.

Kind of like the US military keeping the 5.56 for so long that Russia and China spent a fortune updating their troops armor to stop that round thus forcing the US military to start developing a weapon system that will use a different cartridge.

Plus, where are the other branches in the Alien universe?  The Army should at least be around talking shit to the crayon eating jarheads, and the leathernecks should be jealous of all the gear the Army is going to get 20 years in advance. 

I thought that's kinda what I did...(?) Defiance, all their gear was based on current real world marine gear with a few Aliens tweaks.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 14, 2019, 01:16:02 AM
Maybe some day you can fit in some of those other guns shown in the Sulaco's armory in Aliens.  :)

Modified, of course, to fit in with the likes of the pulse rifles and smart guns.  I'd especially like to see that Lewis Gun in some form.  It'd make a good alternative to the smart gun for "stand-up fights."

The Heckler and Koch VP70 was in Defiance...

But that Lewis Gun looks like a static position gun. I feel like firing that thing off without a mount would be massively unweildy

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Nazrel on Jun 14, 2019, 12:18:43 AM
Is alien echos any good?

If its 8 issues, one a month. So we can expect game release around May to dummer next year, assuming the game releases right after the comics end

I think the Olivia character is going to work fine for people who haven't read Echo. If you can imagine a person who's been traumatized by the Aliens without needing to know all the exact play-by-play details, you'll be fine not reading Echo. Anything that's unique I'm sure they'll provide context on.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 14, 2019, 02:30:33 AM

Not a bad point, but how long have people been making their own version of AK-47s? Sometimes there's a design that works for a while.

And what's the point of the Army? Seems like, in space, military forces need to be expeditionary, which the Army is not.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Jun 14, 2019, 03:17:31 AMBut that Lewis Gun looks like a static position gun. I feel like firing that thing off without a mount would be massively unweildy

That's kind of my point though since the smart gun is hardly a practical weapon to hit the dirt with if you're taking enemy fire.  While it may be great for bug hunts, stand-up fights may call for something that doesn't require a bulky harness.  The Lewis gun (or whatever they call it) may be exactly that for the USCM.

Still Collating...

Well this is just sounding more and more interesting by the minute. Alien media is really being produced now on a regular basis, I'm glad to see this.
Also, I'm excited that it will be an 8 issue run, since I do find a lot of the comics have pacing issues where things either get rushed or underdeveloped. Even though Defiance isn't perfect in a few regards, I really like how long the run lasted. So this will be really fun to see.

And since we still know nothing about the new game other than it having maybe marines in it and probably MP, it's nice that we're getting a background to the story or if it won't impact the final game much, at least we have context that fits in with what we're getting.

Appreciate the effort from Fox/Disney.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 14, 2019, 01:16:02 AM

Modified, of course, to fit in with the likes of the pulse rifles and smart guns.  I'd especially like to see that Lewis gun in some form.  It'd make a good alternative to the smart gun for "stand-up fights."

I'm still hoping to see that Pulse Rifle-ish shotgun!

Drukathi

I am glad to learn something new about Alien game from CIS.

Nostromo

8 issue series ay. Nice. Bring it on over, straight to bay 12 puhlease.

Whiskeybrewer

Wow they really are picking up the pace on new stories now we've hit the 40th anniversary

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed