Things of note in Weyland Information page

Started by harlock, Mar 22, 2012, 12:36:38 AM

Author
Things of note in Weyland Information page (Read 27,664 times)

icedog97

icedog97

I always go back to the target audience...

As much as guys like me (45) or older WANT to think this movie is JUST for us...it's not.

I also think that if the trailer is somewhat chronological, which most people assume (although often times not true)...Prometheus moves from bright and colorful to dark and foreboding.

From the standpoint of what attracts a wider audience, this would seem to be logical...get them with the flashy visuals...but KEEP them with the story.

I also suspect that the direct line from Prometheus to Alien, as so many of us wonder about...does need to go through ANOTHER film to be completed.

I can imagine a scenario where the technology onboard Prometheus is 'one of a kind' and once the ship is destroyed (only guessing that it is)...replication of many of these things is not possible or perhaps because of the outcome of this journey certain things are no longer allowed...feeding back into the idea that playing God is not allowed.

In any case, as much as I accept the idea that Ridley offers -- tech we see in Prometheus is that way because of the type of vessel...science versus the mining ship in Alien -- I think he would also find a way to make this new film follow logically into Alien...either by itself or with another installment...and that would require some kind of backward step in our approach to being 'creators'.

One thing is clear...to keep things consistent...we somehow need to go from David to Ash...and in the case of Ash, we have a synthetic that is not recognized by look, behavior or type...and this does seem to somewhat contradict what I said above about 'creators'.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 23, 2012, 02:47:21 PM
Quote from: aliennaire on Mar 23, 2012, 02:38:13 PM
Has anybody also noticed, that in Fact Sheet module on Investor information page SIR PETER WEYLAND is still written as the Company CEO in 2073, so he is still alive at that time (and even confered with a honourary title) and is even capable to rule the company? If so, I think his presence in the film confirmed!
Well, Ridley already confirmed that last week  :P
Yes... though, the phrase he used to outline Weyland confused me: "by that time he isn't slightly an older man", which really made me think of some special Weyland's condition like being cryo-frozen or physically dead, but maintaining communication with the World of living over that spiritual patented device, they invented. My head is whirling  ;D

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 23, 2012, 04:33:28 PM
I assert again....it would be LUDICROUS if Ridley and Company made a decidedly low-tech Science Fiction film. SCI-FI is about what's possible, not what's continuous from another film. Again, the criticism thrown at Prometheus for being in essence to -sci-fi is ridiculous.
It's all okey with me, while it's good sci fi story I can skip some differences in design and newer look of equipment.

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 23, 2012, 04:49:39 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 23, 2012, 04:33:28 PM
I assert again....it would be LUDICROUS if Ridley and Company made a decidedly low-tech Science Fiction film. SCI-FI is about what's possible, not what's continuous from another film. Again, the criticism thrown at Prometheus for being in essence to -sci-fi is ridiculous.

Absolutely agree.  But I am confused by your last sentence (highlighted in bold).  Can you re-word?
too sci fi?..

Eagle-Fire, looking at your pic just made me scream "My god it's full of... lights"  ;D ;D ;D I wish I would take an excursion in there someday. But also, as Deuterium said before, I can't grasp what this pic was here to demonstrate?

Eva

I don't think Weyland is portrayed as some senile, old fossil 2 inches from death in Prometheus, just becuase he's presumably seen in a wheelchair at some time.

The viral website mentions an average lifespan of +90 years for men when Prometheus is talking place. Peter Weyland is what - in his 70s/80s - not much older than Sir Ridley himself right now and he's alive and kicking, even with a dodgy leg.

My instinct is that Weyland is part of this journey because there's nothing left for him to achieve on Earth. If our makers or Gods are indeed within our reach, I would want to meet them face to face as well before I leave this world, if I had the chance.

Eagle-Fire

Im sorry, the pics i posted were
01. The control station for an oil rig
02. The cockpit of a space shuttle
03. The loading bays of military battleships

All from around the same time period ( give or take 10-25 years).
Not all my pics got posted and i could not work out why lolz

I actually think the prometheus itself is a very real-world looking spacecraft with very sci-fi-ish interior ( holograms et etc) , were as the nostromo looks to be very sci-fi-ish and otherworldy with very real-world looking interior

Im guessing...........(lol)............the tech in the prometheus(3d scanners, holograms etc etc) is all automated by the time ships like the nostromo were put into service i.e the nostromo's mother board does all of that for the crew........kinda like the difference between an aticus and a calculator :)

Deuterium

Quote from: Eagle-Fire on Mar 23, 2012, 06:58:56 PM
Im sorry, the pics i posted were
01. The control station for an oil rig
02. The cockpit of a space shuttle
03. The loading bays of military battleships

All from around the same time period ( give or take 10-25 years).
Not all my pics got posted and i could not work out why lolz

I actually think the prometheus itself is a very real-world looking spacecraft with very sci-fi-ish interior ( holograms et etc) , were as the nostromo looks to be very sci-fi-ish and otherworldy with very real-world looking interior

Im guessing...........(lol)............the tech in the prometheus(3d scanners, holograms etc etc) is all automated by the time ships like the nostromo were put into service i.e the nostromo's mother board does all of that for the crew........kinda like the difference between an aticus and a calculator :)

Ahh...thanks for the clarification.  Now I can understand what you were trying to say.

Eagle-Fire

Quote from: icedog97 on Mar 23, 2012, 04:58:55 PM

As much as guys like me (45) or older WANT to think this movie is JUST for us...it's not.

I also think that if the trailer is somewhat chronological, which most people assume (although often times not true)...Prometheus moves from bright and colorful to dark and foreboding.

From the standpoint of what attracts a wider audience, this would seem to be logical...get them with the flashy visuals...but KEEP them with the story.

I also suspect that the direct line from Prometheus to Alien, as so many of us wonder about...does need to go through ANOTHER film to be completed.

I can imagine a scenario where the technology onboard Prometheus is 'one of a kind' and once the ship is destroyed (only guessing that it is)...replication of many of these things is not possible or perhaps because of the outcome of this journey certain things are no longer allowed...feeding back into the idea that playing God is not allowed.

In any case, as much as I accept the idea that Ridley offers -- tech we see in Prometheus is that way because of the type of vessel...science versus the mining ship in Alien -- I think he would also find a way to make this new film follow logically into Alien...either by itself or with another installment...and that would require some kind of backward step in our approach to being 'creators'.

One thing is clear...to keep things consistent...we somehow need to go from David to Ash...and in the case of Ash, we have a synthetic that is not recognized by look, behavior or type...and this does seem to somewhat contradict what I said above about 'creators'.

is ash a one of a kind? Built to infiltrate as a real human ? If there was a common "ash" model on earth surely the crew of the nostromo would have known he was a robot ??
Just some thoughts :)

marsekay

Quote from: Eagle-Fire on Mar 23, 2012, 07:04:58 PM
Quote from: icedog97 on Mar 23, 2012, 04:58:55 PM

is ash a one of a kind? Built to infiltrate as a real human ? If there was a common "ash" model on earth surely the crew of the nostromo would have known he was a robot ??
Just some thoughts :)

I dont know but theres a lot of guys working in security that LOOK a hell of a lot like Ash, but they cant be androids as no androids work in security.....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed