Dune Remake

Started by Gates, Oct 17, 2007, 12:50:34 AM

Author
Dune Remake (Read 159,188 times)

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

I really liked the first half of this movie. The world building was fun and interesting, the sets were unique, even though you could barely see them half the time. Apparently, light bulbs aren't a thing in the future. :-\ I liked the characters and the story but then it just starts to drag and drag, too many scenes of the characters just wondering the desert, trying to get to the Fremen, something that would have taken a few minutes in most movies. But then I remembered this is only part one which means they stretched it out on purpose. By the end, the movie didn't conclude in any meaningful way, it just stopped and said "see you next time." And I'm pretty sure there won't be a next time. shame. I really like Denis Villeneuve; Arrival was my favorite film of 2016 and Blade Runner: 2049 was my favorite film of 2017, this one just let me down.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Pretty sure 2 and 3 are all but confirmed though.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: Trash Queen on Oct 24, 2021, 02:38:55 PM
Pretty sure 2 and 3 are all but confirmed though.

I don't know, my theater only had 10 people in it at a 7pm screening , I guess HBO Max could save it.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

And I had to resort to seeing it in a standard showing because the IMAX showing at the same time was completely sold out. Film seems to be doing pretty decent box office numbers this weekend too.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1452290101783023618

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

$200m globally? Damn, seems like it's doing well enough.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 23, 2021, 09:55:59 PM
I think Lynch's version had better sets and a better soundtrack.  Zimmer's score didn't do much for me, TBH.

I also think Duncan was miscast.  Jason Momoa seems so out of place in a film like this.

Were the helmets acceptable though?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I'm just happy to have a Dune movie where the costumes aren't shit and the villains aren't ridiculous cartoons. The weird spider thing on Giedi Prime in this was much more effectively unsettling than any of the random shit Lynch did with the Harkonnens.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

https://youtu.be/G2G8ow-C6ow

Will probably listen to on the way to the cinema.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 24, 2021, 04:51:02 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 23, 2021, 09:55:59 PM
I think Lynch's version had better sets and a better soundtrack.  Zimmer's score didn't do much for me, TBH.

I also think Duncan was miscast.  Jason Momoa seems so out of place in a film like this.

Were the helmets acceptable though?

They were not. >:(

Ingwar

dave1978

dave1978

So can anyone who knows their Dune stuff explain why in the future they fight like medieval warfare with swords and infantry charge?  why no ray guns etc?  is it to do with the slow / fast shields thing?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: dave1978 on Oct 25, 2021, 10:34:20 AM
So can anyone who knows their Dune stuff explain why in the future they fight like medieval warfare with swords and infantry charge?  why no ray guns etc?  is it to do with the slow / fast shields thing?

Yep. And if a laser does hit a shield, the reaction between the two causes a massive explosion.

It only just dawned on me, with you asking that question, that the film didn't explicitly state that. :D

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Love Toto's score.

I will say, though, that as someone that's not usually into Zimmer's work – I actually really liked this new score. I found it to be a major improvement over 2049's.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed