Prey Critic Review Thread

Started by Darkness, Aug 03, 2022, 03:09:39 PM

Author
Prey Critic Review Thread (Read 33,901 times)

Pu$$yFace

Pu$$yFace

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 16, 2022, 09:14:20 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7X2jZUMyn8

Best Predator sequel?  I'd buy that for a dollar.  It's in conversation and hedging out P2 depending on your preference.

Better than the original concept?  With Arnold?  Come on, that's ridiculous.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 14, 2022, 06:46:12 PMOld heads need to find something else to do with their time other than be mad lots of younger people love the new film.
I'm 37.  Absolutely love and adore and was raised on Predator and the massively underrated Predator 2. 

This movie Prey is the first one to do the franchise justice since P2.

I'm neither an old head nostalgia lord or a young dumb prisoner of the moment. 

I'm just honest.  Prey was sick, and is in conversation or definitely the second best film in the franchise.

SiL

SiL

Prey is the hot new thing. There will be plenty of hyperbolic praise and condemnation, especially in an Internet culture where everything is either the best thing ever or abject trash. It'll die down.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

It's for better or for worse, but I wish that mainstream people could feel that interest in Alien.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 16, 2022, 10:24:47 PMIt's for better or for worse, but I wish that mainstream people could feel that interest in Alien.

Alien went way too far up its own arse and is still firmly poking about up there. By the sounds of the new TV show it's going to stay there, but I hope im also pleasantly surprised by that one.

Unsurprisingly Alien is best when it's got Aliens killing people , just like Prey.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Never forget Amber Midthunder was prominent in Legion by Noah Hawley before Prey though!

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Highland on Aug 16, 2022, 11:57:14 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 16, 2022, 10:24:47 PMIt's for better or for worse, but I wish that mainstream people could feel that interest in Alien.

Alien went way too far up its own arse and is still firmly poking about up there. By the sounds of the new TV show it's going to stay there, but I hope im also pleasantly surprised by that one.

Unsurprisingly Alien is best when it's got Aliens killing people , just like Prey.

Getting back to basics I guess.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Aug 17, 2022, 04:09:31 AM
Quote from: Highland on Aug 16, 2022, 11:57:14 PM

Getting back to basics I guess.

For real. The Alien short films proved what we already know (and Prey). It's ok to be repetitive, just find different ways to be repetitive.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Why thank you lol  ;D

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Actually I think for a long time, among critics and general moviegoers, the Alien franchise has, arguably, enjoyed higher prestige and overall greater public profile, recognition and respect than the Predator franchise.

It's hard to overstate the sheer impact that "Alien" had on moviegoers and Hollywood in general in 1979. It established the "monster/slasher-kills-characters-one-by-one" trope that was endlessly copied in subsequent movies. The biomechanical design of Giger was completely innovative and a shock to audiences back then. The gritty "working class truckers in space" theme was a huge contrast to the simple fantasy based Star Wars.

And the directors who worked in the Alien franchise all became top directors respected in the film industry. You got Ridley Scott and James Cameron becoming big name Hollywood directors thanks to their work in the Alien Franchise. Even less well-received entries in the franchise, like Alien 3, had future critically acclaimed director David Fincher, who would of course go on to make classics like "Seven", "Fight Club" and "The Social Network". And let's not forget Alien Resurrection, while yet another subpar entry in the franchise, had French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who would go on to make critically successful hits like "Amelie" and "A Very Long Engagement".

In contrast, the only real big name director in the Predator franchise is John McTiernan. His three most famous movies, "Predator", "Die Hard" and "Hunt for Red October", were directed back-to-back. But one could argue the success of those films was due to the fact those movies had terrific scripts to begin with. Heck, those movies could essentially direct themselves. Its telling that McTiernan afterwards has not directed a movie that has the enjoyed the level of critical and box office success as those three films.

And remember, before the release of "Prey", most critics and moviegoers thought the Predator franchise was dead and buried six feet under. After the disaster that was 2018 "The Predator", everyone thought the Predator franchise was finished for good.

Its only right now, thanks to "Prey" enjoying surprisingly good reviews and record ratings on Hulu, that everyone (outside the Alien and Predator fandom) is talking about the Predator franchise. So the current attention on the Predator franchise may be a temporary phenomenon.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 17, 2022, 11:40:54 AM

Actually I think for a long time, among critics and general moviegoers, the Alien franchise has, arguably, enjoyed higher prestige and overall greater public profile, recognition and respect than the Predator franchise.

It's hard to overstate the sheer impact that "Alien" had on moviegoers and Hollywood in general in 1979. It established the "monster/slasher-kills-characters-one-by-one" trope that was endlessly copied in subsequent movies. The biomechanical design of Giger was completely innovative and a shock to audiences back then. The gritty "working class truckers in space" theme was a huge contrast to the simple fantasy based Star Wars.

And the directors who worked in the Alien franchise all became top directors respected in the film industry. You got Ridley Scott and James Cameron becoming big name Hollywood directors thanks to their work in the Alien Franchise. Even less well-received entries in the franchise, like Alien 3, had future critically acclaimed director David Fincher, who would of course go on to make classics like "Seven", "Fight Club" and "The Social Network". And let's not forget Alien Resurrection, while yet another subpar entry in the franchise, had French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who would go on to make critically successful hits like "Amelie" and "A Very Long Engagement".

In contrast, the only real big name director in the Predator franchise is John McTiernan. His three most famous movies, "Predator", "Die Hard" and "Hunt for Red October", were directed back-to-back. But one could argue the success of those films was due to the fact those movies had terrific scripts to begin with. Heck, those movies could essentially direct themselves. Its telling that McTiernan afterwards has not directed a movie that has the enjoyed the level of critical and box office success as those three films.

And remember, before the release of "Prey", most critics and moviegoers thought the Predator franchise was dead and buried six feet under. After the disaster that was 2018 "The Predator", everyone thought the Predator franchise was finished for good.

Its only right now, thanks to "Prey" enjoying surprisingly good reviews and record ratings on Hulu, that everyone (outside the Alien and Predator fandom) is talking about the Predator franchise. So the current attention on the Predator franchise may be a temporary phenomenon.

I can agree with most of this. Alien has always been the more interesting and intriguing series of the two, it's got more space to move into. Predator is the thrill seeking action movie.

....but, you speak to any "general" movie fan, they will put Aliens in as the big ticket item above Alien. Easily.

Folk are attracted to big entertainment and thrills, it's just the way it is.

Prey is doing well because your girlfriend or best mate doesn't have to understand how the f**k the black goo can be engineered into some blah blah blah.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Highland on Aug 17, 2022, 01:39:55 PM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 17, 2022, 11:40:54 AM

I can agree with most of this. Alien has always been the more interesting and intriguing series of the two, it's got more space to move into. Predator is the thrill seeking action movie.

....but, you speak to any "general" movie fan, they will put Aliens in as the big ticket item above Alien. Easily.

Folk are attracted to big entertainment and thrills, it's just the way it is.

Prey is doing well because your girlfriend or best mate doesn't have to understand how the f**k the black goo can be engineered into some blah blah blah.

Yeah, the audience want to be entertained and have a good time at the movies. To leave their everyday worries and stress behind for just an hour or two at the theatre. I get that.

Still, Alien...there was no black goo or stuff like that in the original 1979 movie. Just a "Space Jockey" (before we started calling them "Engineers") to suggest a certain mystery about the origin of the xenomorph.

In a certain way, I find "Alien" has aged better than "Aliens". That sense of unknown danger and horror...I find more thrilling. It stays with you longer than "Aliens".

And if you look at how critics and a lot of moviegoers rate both franchises, they would rate Alien as superior to the Predator franchise, in terms of impact on subsequent movies in Hollywood and general popular culture.

And I'm saying all that even though I actually like the Predator franchise more than the Alien franchise. Leaving aside the expanded universe about the history and lore of the Yautja in the comics and just looking at the movies only, the premise of Predator was a lot more straightforward than Alien. An alien hunter goes after human prey it deems worthy to be hunted. That's it. I admire the appeal in the simplicity of that premise. But at the same time, it does make the Predator franchise more of a one trick pony compared to the Alien franchise.

SiL

SiL

The Predator franchise only survived as long as it did by hitching itself to the Alien franchise.

Rankles75

Rankles75

The Alien franchise is undoubtedly bigger than Predator, but has suffered from not having a widely well received addition to the series in such a long time. Prey earning such glowing reviews will undoubtedly help the series, and that should surely be seen as a good thing by the fans, whether they liked this film or not.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Aug 17, 2022, 07:34:35 PMThe Predator franchise only survived as long as it did by hitching itself to the Alien franchise.

ohsnap

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Aug 17, 2022, 07:34:35 PMThe Predator franchise only survived as long as it did by hitching itself to the Alien franchise.

Alien hasnt had a movie since 1996. Predator has had 3. Unless you count Prometheus and Covenant which were both stinking  :laugh:

Id say both Alien and Aliens have aged similarly for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed