Prey Critic Review Thread

Started by Darkness, Aug 03, 2022, 03:09:39 PM

Author
Prey Critic Review Thread (Read 33,892 times)

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2022, 11:29:37 AMThey're right. That's absolutely the point.

You can get that and still not like the movie though.

Prey is not perfect and its fine to point out the weaknesses in the film, to ensure that a future sequel can avoid those pitfalls. As an example, folks have pointed to the feral predator's design as an issue, that's a legitimate point to debate over. Still...reading some of the hate directed at Prey, I do have to wonder whether some "Prey" haters are really honest with their critique...or whether they are just biased or prejudiced to begin with...

Mike’s Monsters

There does seem to be an influx of individuals who only seem to want to speak on the negative, and not the positive. Or when positive is being discussed, some folk seem to want to come in and throw a wrench in the conversation to be the devil's advocate. Like, rarely seeing any positivity from some. You don't have to like it, but maybe do something else if all you do is focus on the negative. Can't be good for the mind.

Not to say that there isn't room for conversation and criticism, constructively. Just feels like some want to be like "NAH, it's shit" just to be the one to say it. Not always constructive when it's handled that way and some seem to only want to do it that way.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Old heads need to find something else to do with their time other than be mad lots of younger people love the new film.

Wompdonkey

Wompdonkey

I've had many friends who know I'm a huge Alien and Predator fan who have texted or called me to tell me how much they enjoyed it. I love hearing casual fans enjoying the movie, because it means more butts in seats. After Covenant and The Predator, the franchises needed outright positive buzz and Prey earned all the love it is receiving.

Pu$$yFace

Pu$$yFace

Quote from: Cougerboy on Aug 13, 2022, 10:59:48 AMAccording to a "Den of Geek" article, this is what self-proclaimed fans of the 1987 movie who hate "Prey" don't get:

The (1987) movie is about turning the beefiest and most cartoonishly masculine clichés of '80s pop culture into helpless terrified cattle before the slaughter. Schwarzenegger of course wins—it is an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie—but mostly due to cunning, a back-to-basics approach, and finally luck.

Prey successfully digs into that back-to-basics ending and in some ways improves on it.

No, the Comanche of the Northern Great Plains in 1719 did not have machine guns, grenades, and the "choppas!" of Dutch and the boys. But it's for that reason the Predator in the new movie underestimates them... particularly Naru. Much like how the character of Anna (Elpidia Carrillo) in Predator was deemed not a threat by that film's titular monster—and Dutch even slaps a gun out of her hands when she tries to help—the Predator of Prey initially dismisses Naru as a non-threat. Also in-keeping with many of her sneering online critics, the Predator seems to veritably scoff at her holding a tomahawk, considering her less worthy of attention than a snake crawling in the grass.

Source: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/prey-haters-fail-to-grasp-about-original-predator-movie/

Well, the author is not going to win any fans from the "Prey" haters. But the point remains,  does the author of this article have a legitimate point...or is he just trolling certain...shall we say, "segment" of the Predator fandom?

Exactly.  And even then Arnold who gets rag dolled wins by extreme luck.  They all get destroyed by a vagina with teeth faced monster too  :laugh:

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I mean Harrigan called him pussy face for a reason, yeah.

Pu$$yFace

Pu$$yFace

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 12, 2022, 03:14:06 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDUnFQWG1M
This guy nails it. Which is also why I don't understand the nitpicking criticisms of fans from this franchise on these boards.  With Shane Black's The Predator?  Well deserved.  Predators?  Kind of deserved. 

Prey?  Hell no.

I have it tied for second best with the original sequel, which slightly edges it due to nostalgia, vulgarity, and violence, plus slightly superior likability of Danny Glover and Gary Busey and Bill Paxton, besides that? 

Prey molly whops everything else we've seen in this franchise otherwise.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 15, 2022, 12:53:51 PMI mean Harrigan called him pussy face for a reason, yeah.
It's just funny the Alien franchise was a female protagonist trying to escape a  phallic shaped creature. 

And the Predator franchise up until now was hyper macho masculinity trying to survive a vagina with teeth faced monster. 

Interesting dynamic.

Memphis

Memphis

Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 15, 2022, 01:55:28 PMPrey molly whops everything else we've seen in this franchise otherwise.

Yeah, but bar isn't too high.  I think ppl need to sit on this one a little bit.

Pu$$yFace

Pu$$yFace

Quote from: Memphis on Aug 15, 2022, 05:22:13 PM
Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 15, 2022, 01:55:28 PMPrey molly whops everything else we've seen in this franchise otherwise.

Yeah, but bar isn't too high.  I think ppl need to sit on this one a little bit.
What do you mean? Predator is an all-time classic. Predator two is one of the most underrated sequels of all time, Prey is arguably on cinematic merits better than predator two, and falls just short of predator. On average this franchise is better than the alien one, while also being more fun, good subtext, and not as annoyingly British and pretentious oh, and boring.  This new movie was good, filmed well, likable characters, great cinematography, action packed and was quick and efficient at an hour and a half. Meanwhile the most recent alien installments, was like watching paint dry

Memphis

Memphis

Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 15, 2022, 06:13:55 PMWhat do you mean? Predator is an all-time classic. Predator two is one of the most underrated sequels of all time, Prey is arguably on cinematic merits better than predator two, and falls just short of predator. On average this franchise is better than the alien one, while also being more fun, good subtext, and not as annoyingly British and pretentious oh, and boring.  This new movie was good, filmed well, likable characters, great cinematography, action packed and was quick and efficient at an hour and a half. Meanwhile the most recent alien installments, was like watching paint dry

I think people overhyped good movie into being something great. Is it truly better than Predators, or we in the moment. Predator doesn't have sequels that can rival Alien's. Also Predator movies are less bonkers than some of the Alien (exept one).

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

The one bonkers alien that I can think of is Resurrection.

Memphis

Memphis

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 15, 2022, 07:22:50 PMThe one bonkers alien that I can think of is Resurrection.

Covenant. There is comedy gold in it, if you look from a certain point of view. Why again I wrote last sentence :laugh: 

Pu$$yFace

Pu$$yFace

Quote from: Memphis on Aug 15, 2022, 07:20:11 PM
Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 15, 2022, 06:13:55 PMWhat do you mean?

Predator 1987 is an all-time classic.

Predator 2 is one of the most underrated sequels of all time, Prey is arguably on cinematic merits better than Predator 2, and falls just short of predator. On average this franchise is better than the alien one, while also being more fun, good subtext, and not as annoyingly British and pretentious oh, and boring. 

This new movie was good, filmed well, likable characters, great cinematography, action packed and was quick and efficient at an hour and a half. Meanwhile the most recent alien installments, was like watching paint dry

I think people overhyped good movie into being something great. Is it truly better than Predators, or we in the moment. Predator doesn't have sequels that can rival Alien's. Also Predator movies are less bonkers than some of the Alien (exept one).

I disagree.

And yes Prey is 100% better than the shameless retread that's is Predators. 

Prey like Predator 2 before it, honors the original, expands on the mythology, but doesn't just remake the first movie.

With that said Predators is still pretty decent.  The concept of Predators alone isn't really in line with the characters motivations as seen in the first two films, that ultimately make him so badass.  He's incredibly frightening, but also like a samurai, incredibly honorable in his methodology, his hunting, and killing.

I think Predator 2 is every bit as enjoyable and entertaining as Aliens.

Is it considered as much of a classic?  No. Alien, Aliens, and Predator are all-time classic films.  As I said. The aliens franchise however is top-heavy as shit.

Where as with the lone exception of The Predator jumping the shark in 2018, on average the predator series is batting a better average in terms of enjoyment and quality level.  Now just imagine if the predator wasn't so f**king shitty?  It would be a landslide.

Alien3 was good, many consider it to be not that great, and honestly disrespectful and kind of ruins the film that came before it.

And all the sequels after Alien3 for sure, definitely suck. Including the Ridley Scott ones over the past few years, where we have a guy who is just way way past his prime yet still oddly full of himself but incredibly out of touch. 

Those last two alien movies were pretentious and boring as shit, regardless of a few good performances in them. They  also kind of ruin the mystery of that original space jockey ship as well in his own movie.

Memphis

Memphis

Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 15, 2022, 07:56:16 PMI disagree.

And yes Prey is 100% better than the shameless retread that's is Predators. 

Prey like Predator 2 before it, honors the original, expands on the mythology, but doesn't just remake the first movie.

With that said Predators is still pretty decent.  The concept of Predators alone isn't really in line with the characters motivations as seen in the first two films, that ultimately make him so badass.  He's incredibly frightening, but also like a samurai, incredibly honorable in his methodology, his hunting, and killing.

I think Predator 2 is every bit as enjoyable and entertaining as Aliens.

Is it considered as much of a classic?  No. Alien, Aliens, and Predator are all-time classic films.  As I said. The aliens franchise however is top-heavy as shit.

Where as with the lone exception of The Predator jumping the shark in 2018, on average the predator series is batting a better average in terms of enjoyment and quality level.  Now just imagine if the predator wasn't so f**king shitty?  It would be a landslide.

Alien3 was good, many consider it to be not that great, and honestly disrespectful and kind of ruins the film that came before it.

And all the sequels after Alien3 for sure, definitely suck. Including the Ridley Scott ones over the past few years, where we have a guy who is just way way past his prime yet still oddly full of himself but incredibly out of touch. 

Those last two alien movies were pretentious and boring as shit, regardless of a few good performances in them. They  also kind of ruin the mystery of that original space jockey ship as well in his own movie.

I don't want to blow this out of proportion. We have different opinions on subject matter. I love first Predator but not it's sequels. I like P2 for the cast, humor and new toys. Prey was enjoyable and has good action, but I didn't get kick out of it. Characters are bare bones, plus I dislike new look without mask. Yes, it is one of the best outings, but Aliens are closer to my chest in general. Two movies I love, at least one is guilty pleasure. Yes, Ridley's funfiction is stupid and insulting, but I can separate them. Agree to disagree?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed