New interview with Predators director Nimród Antal

Started by HudsonGAMEOVERMANGAMEOVER, Mar 11, 2019, 09:06:22 AM

Author
New interview with Predators director Nimród Antal (Read 14,280 times)

HudsonGAMEOVERMANGAMEOVER

Hey folks!

So we recently had a one-on-one chat with Predators director Nimród Antal last week and figured you'd guys would be interested in what he had to say about Predators and the franchise since he really hasn't talked about the movie much since 2010. Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/HNEsocial/status/1103999051379417088

https://twitter.com/HNEsocial/status/1105027620092239873

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

Thanks! That was a great read. I'm glad to hear from Nimrod after almost a decade.

PREDATORS never got it's due imho. It deserved a sequel, one that fixed any problems the first film had and built from there.

So much wasted potential. Anyway great job with the interview!

SuperiorIronman

That got me in that even he had no idea why they never pursued a direct sequel. It made money and was even fairly well received at the time so yeah I'm surprised that even he didn't know why they didn't.

The Super Predators are ripe for future stories and how they interact with the universe. This is a movie begging to be made or adapted in some form. At least I know I'd be interested in seeing more of the Super Predator conflict.

Huggs

Someday. Hopefully someday.

If Shane hasn't killed the franchise off for another decade or two.

PsyKore

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 11, 2019, 11:36:44 PM
That got me in that even he had no idea why they never pursued a direct sequel. It made money and was even fairly well received at the time so yeah I'm surprised that even he didn't know why they didn't.

It's because Fox have unrealistic projections for these movies. It needs to make 3 earths populations worth of money.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 12, 2019, 12:43:22 AM
Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 11, 2019, 11:36:44 PM

It's because Fox have unrealistic projections for these movies. It needs to make 3 earths populations worth of money.

That's bizarre to me because these films have never made anything equivalent to the MCU or Star Wars. The Predator franchise has always hit on the low end of the spectrum with the multi-media efforts being the thing that makes them the most money. Licensing for comics, toys, costumes, etc, have been where they make the most of their money. With Predator 2 being the only one unaccounted for (at least in my searches) the franchise has been profitable, but if some head at Fox really thought that this was MCU level of profitability I've got a bridge to sell them.

I might just be happy with the Disney transition if it means someone over there will use the franchise to its potential.

Huggs

What we need is someone in charge who has the guts to say,

"You know, we have a real passion for both of these franchises, but it's obvious that they've been mishandled for quite some time now. We're not about to let these properties die or go dormant. We've heard what the fans have to say and we're going to go back to basics until we get this right, and then we're going to keep doing what works".

Sakes alive, I'd jump right off the couch if somebody said that.

JungleHunter87

I remember being stoked after the film came out and was a success. Hearing Antal was ready to do the sequel and Brody was very much looking forward to a sequel. Then, John Davis came out a few weeks or months later and shutdown all this sequel talk.

After THE PREDATOR, I guarantee it's gonna be another 5-10 years before we get another entry in the series.
Which sucks big time because it didn't need to be this way.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Mar 12, 2019, 02:05:33 AM
I remember being stoked after the film came out and was a success. Hearing Antal was ready to do the sequel and Brody was very much looking forward to a sequel. Then, John Davis came out a few weeks or months later and shutdown all this sequel talk.

After THE PREDATOR, I guarantee it's gonna be another 5-10 years before we get another entry in the series.
Which sucks big time because it didn't need to be this way.

I doubt its going to be 10 years between films again because Predator 2's gap was massive for what it was. That was 14 years between it and Aliens Versus Predator. They're never doing that again. Between Predators and The Predator its about 8 years, and even then its too long for the marketing legs it has. There's no way they're waiting a decade or more on that.

Predator movies all things considered are cheap to make. So it being too pricey is out of the question, though with the overzealous spending to get The Predator re-shot we can kiss period-pieces goodbye and more than one Predator. Meaning that whatever the next film does it's going to be cheap and its going to be modern. Make of that what you will but I'd expect one within 5 years at worst.

Huggs

Predator 2 = 1990

Predators = 2010

And that was after a good movie.

After this disaster, they won't touch it with a ten year pole, at least.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 12, 2019, 02:31:07 AM

So this is what pain feels like.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 12, 2019, 02:38:49 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Mar 12, 2019, 02:31:07 AM

So this is what pain feels like.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/685303846eb10bc13784313763b02af9/tumblr_inline_ov56freH901ub4bpy_400.gif

Pain is waiting 8 years and realizing you've got another 15 to go before another chance, if you're lucky. Think of it this way, if the next movie comes out in 2030, even if its good, that means we only got 1 good film (predators) within a 40 year gap. 40 freakin' years!

Yes, it's going to be that bad.

Samhain13

BishopShouldGo

Great interview! Lots of good stuff in there.

Predwars24

I always hated that in the trailer. It never made sense to have so many Predators on just one guy and I knew even as a little kid it wouldn't be in the movie. I still enjoyed the film. To be honest I was more disappointed the Hulk wasn't really in the wakanda battle but no one complained that it was shown in the trailers he was there, and in the movie it wasn't, very similar situation but two very different outcomes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed