Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film!

Started by MudButt, Mar 04, 2022, 10:06:48 PM

Author
Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film! (Read 60,433 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Every Alien movie is different, even the AVP ones. Something is good or bad depending on the execution. Alien itself was a well-executed narrative of a story already told years ago. Hard to match that one though.

So let's see what information awaits us in the future about this particular project, since we know nothing about it, beyond the Argentine director's filmography. Although I can understand the lack of excitement.

BlueMarsalis79

It's his filmography that gives me pause personally.

Corporal Hicks

Now that Don't Breathe is on Prime in the UK, I watched this the other day. While I'm not saying I'd want Fede to repeat himself, there's a lot of stuff in there that I thought worked really well for Alien. I could imagine some sort of pheromone camouflage and shots of people still trying to move around the Alien, and not make noise.

I know the POV shots aren't popular either, but the whole night vision sequence was pretty interesting and I could see something like that with a new take on the Alien POV. And, of course, the unwanted/forced impregnation aspect.

I really enjoyed it. Think he could do well with a low budget Alien.

gold

gold

I hope he has better script writers than Scott.

Alien had a right to be a B movie in 79 and 86. A simple slasher movie because that's all it really was. A "pretty" slasher movie because of Scott and Cameron but a simple blood and guts survival movie and nothing more.

It doesn't have this right in 2022. We are sick and tired of YET ANOTHER group of people get eaten. That's all it is. People get eaten, blood and guts, roll credits. Think about it. It's all it is. You'd almost be ashamed in admitting you are a fan because of the base simplicity.

The only movie that (nearly) broke this mold was Prometheus.

Just when you thought the producers had woken up to the potential that was there, it went downhill.

Where they could have expanded on the scripts of 79 and 86 and grown the franchise -exponentially- they actually shrunk their own universe by saying an angry robot made that mysterious creature using lab experiments.

It's highschool level script writing.

Imagine if they had used the design language of Giger. Examined why the shapes are so vile and disgusting and beautiful and pleasing at the same time. Satiating the human mind. Repulsive and attractive at the same time. Two opposing emotions felt simultaneously, the base level paradox for a human. A taste of something higher than the processing capacity of the human mind.

Imagine if like Event Horizon the franchise had steered into the realm where the xenomorph originated. Perhaps outside the universe, a realm of pure consciousness and emotion, no memories, no logic, just being. Perhaps where the creator(s) of the universe originate. Perhaps a higher step on the matter-information-consciousness ladder. Perhaps a place where the base level understanding is paradox and all "logic" lies above it. A stupendous shock to our "thinking" the same way it is a stupendous shock to the senses in moving to a 4D world from 3D.

The engineers having tapped into this realm during their toying with genetics.

Imagine a movie not about the simple fear of being eaten, but of the fear of to be or not, to choose between thinking and feeling.

Perhaps to be able to ask the entity there about the dichotomy between emotion and logic.

So much could have been made of this franchise. An examination of the essence of what it means to exist as a consciousness in this universe ALONGSIDE being a slasher movie for the B crowd that like that.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: gold on May 13, 2022, 12:17:30 AMA simple slasher movie because that's all it really was.

Isn't that a bit reductive ?

skhellter

skhellter

insanely reductive.

If people see the first film as only "killer bug goes on a rampage" then they probably don't really understand it.

SiL

That's 100% what it was made as though. Everyone was actively working on making an unpretentious scary movie with good production values.

The popular reading of Alien as some kind of deep Arthouse movie is fairly recent.

Stitch

Quote from: SiL on May 27, 2022, 12:23:36 AMThat's 100% what it was made as though. Everyone was actively working on making an unpretentious scary movie with good production values.

The popular reading of Alien as some kind of deep Arthouse movie is fairly recent.
What SiL said.

Alien is a haunted house movie in space. It's elevated by having Ridley Scott behind the camera, but it's still just a horror movie.

You have to remember that it was originally going to be called Star Beast, and in its inception it was basically an extension of Dark Star, where the alien was a beach ball with feet.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Stitch on May 27, 2022, 12:34:12 AMYou have to remember that it was originally going to be called Star Beast, and in its inception it was basically an extension of Dark Star, where the alien was a beach ball with feet.

He cute

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 27, 2022, 01:30:24 AM
Quote from: Stitch on May 27, 2022, 12:34:12 AMYou have to remember that it was originally going to be called Star Beast, and in its inception it was basically an extension of Dark Star, where the alien was a beach ball with feet.

He cute

https://geekd-out.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Dark-Star.jpg

Thanks.

SiL

It was originally going to be taken to Roger Corman.

Most of the symbolism of the movie comes from its art design than anything that was ever deeply intended. Rape and birth were obviously important themes but giving that to Giger to design ramped it up to 11.

Like with any movie you can read it as you will, but at its heart Alien is a scary movie about a rampaging monster first and your art degree dissertation topic second.

Ingwar

Even Scott said that Alien is a B-class movie with A-class budget.

Immortan Jonesy

The soft-remake oft IT! The Terror from Beyond Space made 21 years later and with the best movie crew ever  ;D

SiL

O'Bannon was so open about his sources and yet he swore blind he never saw that one ;D

Mr. Clemens

"It doesn't have to be that sophisticated, you know... you can MAKE it sophisticated."

-Ridley Scott

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed