Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM

Author
Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens (Read 79,931 times)

predxeno

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Feb 27, 2015, 04:15:53 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 12:14:05 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Feb 26, 2015, 11:28:40 PM
It's not remotely canon, and I assure you even the execs who once implied that to help sales have already forgotten all about it. None of the EU is canon or ever will be. It means nothing to anyone except the most hardcore fanbase, and that's not the demographic the studio is intent on re-pitching this franchise to. Same thing with the terrible Star Wars books or the dogged fans of that Terminator TV show - shit outta luck.

Sorry, but before I acknowledge something as not canon, I'll need more to go on than the moans and groans of pissed off fanboys. :(

LOL, this has nothing to do with how I feel. I never even played the game. It wouldn't matter if the game was the second coming of System Shock or Mass Effect, though - there is less than zero chance a film studio has any interest in tying its film canon down to a bunch of video games and promotional tie-in materials that only hardcore sci-fi buffs know about. That's a fact of life and we see it everyday. Expecting any of the video games or books or comic books over the last several decades to be seriously referenced or acknowledged as canon in these films in any way is dreaming. But you should know that by now. It's not about the geek hardcore. It's about the largest possible audience.

Yeah, I know expecting a video game or comic reference is a forlorn dream, but I still acknowledge them as canon (as in it actually happened) to the series.

Gash

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 27, 2015, 03:39:28 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 27, 2015, 02:01:33 AM
Retcon or not I'm not excited about this movie at all. Don't think Blomkamp is the right person to direct this. Of course it could be worse (way worse), but still.
Well, if you think Alien 3 was the high point of the series, then I think it's better for us that you're not excited for this movie :P

'Us' being those that are hoping it's just basically modeled after Aliens from your previous posts. Because that was the exciting 'pew pew' one that all the teenagers think is wicked.

Maybe you'll get your wish. It's really too early to judge anything. I'd hazard a guess that all the unseen concept art is being kept under wraps because it's actually closer to the story Blomkamp wants to tell, so all this Hicks, Newt excitement is, with any luck,  a blind alley.

I'm not expecting Blomkamp to make a psycho/sexual, body horror film, it'll undoubtedly be PG 13 with lots of 'cool tech' and pulse rifle action. Maybe that will free up Prom 2 to be 'R', or perhaps it will consign it to the restrictions of the teen demographic too.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 04:49:58 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Feb 27, 2015, 04:15:53 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 27, 2015, 12:14:05 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Feb 26, 2015, 11:28:40 PM
It's not remotely canon, and I assure you even the execs who once implied that to help sales have already forgotten all about it. None of the EU is canon or ever will be. It means nothing to anyone except the most hardcore fanbase, and that's not the demographic the studio is intent on re-pitching this franchise to. Same thing with the terrible Star Wars books or the dogged fans of that Terminator TV show - shit outta luck.

Sorry, but before I acknowledge something as not canon, I'll need more to go on than the moans and groans of pissed off fanboys. :(

LOL, this has nothing to do with how I feel. I never even played the game. It wouldn't matter if the game was the second coming of System Shock or Mass Effect, though - there is less than zero chance a film studio has any interest in tying its film canon down to a bunch of video games and promotional tie-in materials that only hardcore sci-fi buffs know about. That's a fact of life and we see it everyday. Expecting any of the video games or books or comic books over the last several decades to be seriously referenced or acknowledged as canon in these films in any way is dreaming. But you should know that by now. It's not about the geek hardcore. It's about the largest possible audience.

Yeah, I know expecting a video game or comic reference is a forlorn dream, but I still acknowledge them as canon (as in it actually happened) to the series.

You can if you want to, sure. But what I'm saying is that the studio and the filmmakers don't and won't, and that goes for the AVP films as well, IMO. They might say nice things to placate the hardcore fans who like absolutely all of it - like not denying the possibility that Guy Pearce's Weyland and that silly Lance Henriksen character from AVP could coexist, while not saying yes either - but FOX knows they treated those franchises and others (X-Men, etc.) like a McDonald's chain for most of the early 2000s and they are busy whitewashing all of it away now. All that stuff, those crossover films, the games, the comics, they're ignored.

They may or may not ever come out and say "f**k that shit," but that is exactly what every studio means when it comes to any EU material for any major film franchise, unless it is some sort of runaway hit on its own in the mainstream - and even then it is no guarantee (look at the weird DC Comics TV shows, some of which are wildly popular on basic cable, but which DC will never validate as being part of their film canon even if they run ten years like silly-ass Smallville).

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 26, 2015, 08:52:09 PM

Quote from: Horrific Hominid on Feb 26, 2015, 08:42:35 PM
The term "genetic sibling" leads me to believe that 3 and Resurrection won't be wiped out entirely.  If this film was going to be a direct sequel to Aliens that completely ignored later continuity, they probably would have said it outright.

Normally I'd agree but when Prometheus was reported to have strands of Alien DNA in it, everyone took it literally and assume it to be a spinoff; since that worked out exactly as they said, I'm more inclined to listen to them now than I usually would.

It is a spin-off.

And stop being condescending towards each other. Now.

HuDaFuK

Predictable carnage while I was asleep.

OpenMaw

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 27, 2015, 08:39:38 AM
Predictable carnage while I was asleep.

It looks like the barricade didn't hold.

Corporal Hicks

It's taken me like my first hour at work to get through the 3 big threads. I shouldn't sleep at night.  :P

HuDaFuK

Shamo

Really really bad idea in my opinion. Every Alien movie has its own unique tone and developed the story cohesively in a creative way. As a director of Alien 5 one should take the challenge and do the same. Just because you like the old ones better, you shouldn't just ignore where the story was going. To just scrap parts of the mythology, espsecially now iwth the expanded universe taking off through the books would really blow the hordes of long term fans out of the universe.

I don't know I just don't like it. It would mess up my whole viewing experience when I want to watch the whole series on a weekend.

I am not agasinst trying new things- but just scrapping stuff is a poor creative desicision. Why trying to copy Alien and Aliens? Especially with the Alien esque Ripley designs- you could really develope Ripley 8 into something more. 

whiterabbit

I wonder if Blomkamp has any idea the shit he's stepped into?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'm sure he's well aware. Anyone who's involved with sci-fi film-making knows the heavy burden making an Alien or Predator brings with it. Anderson and the Strause Brothers knew what they got into with AvP, even if their films didn't seem to reflect it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 27, 2015, 11:08:01 AM
I wonder if Blomkamp has any idea the shit he's stepped into?

He's one brave white man. I hope he's wearing a condom.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Shamo on Feb 27, 2015, 10:58:14 AM
Really really bad idea in my opinion. Every Alien movie has its own unique tone and developed the story cohesively in a creative way. As a director of Alien 5 one should take the challenge and do the same. Just because you like the old ones better, you shouldn't just ignore where the story was going. To just scrap parts of the mythology, espsecially now iwth the expanded universe taking off through the books would really blow the hordes of long term fans out of the universe.

I don't know I just don't like it. It would mess up my whole viewing experience when I want to watch the whole series on a weekend.

I am not agasinst trying new things- but just scrapping stuff is a poor creative desicision. Why trying to copy Alien and Aliens? Especially with the Alien esque Ripley designs- you could really develope Ripley 8 into something more.

Want to watch them all in a weekend?

Alien- Theatrical Cut, Aliens- Theatrical Cut, Alien³- Assembly Cut, Alien: Resurrection: Special Edition, Prometheus, Alien- "Director's Cut", Aliens- Special Edition, Neill Blompkamp's- AL III EN.

Xhan

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2015, 10:11:02 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 26, 2015, 10:09:15 PMOption 6:

Ripley and Hicks are still dead, but their templates are copied into synthetics who continue to carry on their work.

But why would anyone do that!

I ask that same question every time someone says "hired joss whedon".

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Shamo on Feb 27, 2015, 10:58:14 AM

My thoughts exactly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed