Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM

Author
Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens (Read 81,762 times)

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 26, 2015, 06:38:10 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 26, 2015, 06:32:53 PM
Quantity before quality = $$$
Same thing they thought when making Alien3...

If money was all they cared about, they would have made another gun fest and gone with stuff like the power loader army vs. the queen alien army.  Alien 3 showed that they were willing to sacrifice cheap thrills in exchange for doing something different.

predxeno

Quote from: Horrific Hominid on Feb 26, 2015, 06:41:04 PM
Quote from: shakermakerman on Feb 26, 2015, 06:37:28 PM
Ok then playing devils advocate, what gives someone the right just to right off someone else hard work and characters in sequels ? As Cameron said Alien 3 was a slap in the face to fans of hicks. Michael Biehn wasn't happy how Alien 3 was either.

The difference is that Alien 3 did not get rid of the events of Aliens.  While I too was kind of pissed at first at Hicks and Newt being killed, like was said earlier, it fits the tone of the series.  Killing off characters is far less a crime than wiping away whole movies.

I dunno about that, killing Newt off detracts the value of Ripley going through all those lengths to save her in Aliens; like it or not, her death hurt the 2nd film a bit.

Vrastal

Quote from: ep40 on Feb 26, 2015, 06:39:18 PM
I think that events of Alien 3 and A:R cut all possibilities of continuing story further in a way that makes sense. Events of those movies presented the idea that Derelict was destroyed, there was no other source of Alien eggs etc... Alien and Aliens presented the source of shown Xenos being the Derelict but didn't say anything that there couldn't be another loaded with eggs Space Jockey spaceship crashed on some other planet. Starting anew only with Alien and Aliens as canon gives more freedom with story.

Bull. we dont know if there is anywhere else that the aliens could be.

I was really looking forward to something new.But i guess if ripley isnt tied to it its a no go, so theyre just pulling pout the stops and going full fanfic.

I want it to be an amazing story but i just dont see it happening unless it can take multiple aliens and bring back the fear that cones with them.

shakermakerman

I don't think Fincher will be too bothered either about this ...

SpreadEagleBeagle

Ok then playing devils advocate, what gives someone the right just to right off someone else hard work and characters in sequels ? As Cameron said Alien 3 was a slap in the face to fans of hicks. Michael Biehn wasn't happy how Alien 3 was either.

How is that even the same?

One movie follow/continues what happened in the previous movie (a sequel), the other one erases two movies just like that (a retcon)

Doggo33

That is just so stupid (the retconning). If it does any retconning whatsoever, I'm not interested. You can't kick something out of the canon. The new thing just becomes ignorable.

In terms of it just not featuring Ripley 8 though - I find that silly, because the whole point of this was to not leave the franchise at the cliffhanger (which I don't think is big enough a cliffhanger to require a sequel) of 'Alien: Resurrection'. As time is going on, I'm becoming less enthused by this film.

shakermakerman

Superman returns was a bad idea then???

SpreadEagleBeagle

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 26, 2015, 06:44:18 PM

The difference is that Alien 3 did not get rid of the events of Aliens.  While I too was kind of pissed at first at Hicks and Newt being killed, like was said earlier, it fits the tone of the series.  Killing off characters is far less a crime than wiping away whole movies.

I dunno about that, killing Newt off detracts the value of Ripley going through all those lengths to save her in Aliens; like it or not, her death hurt the 2nd film a bit.

To some extent, you're right.  That being said, like was said earlier, the world of Alien is cold and harsh and Alien 3 confirmed this.  In it's own way, Ripley's sacrifice at the end of the movie was the ultimate fulfillment of the sacrifice that she was willing to do for Newt in Aliens.  Everything ties together in the end.

Doggo33

If 'Alien 3' and 'Alien: Resurrection' are contradicted, I don't care about the film.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: shakermakerman on Feb 26, 2015, 06:47:44 PM
Superman returns was a bad idea then???

Considering how unbelievably boring it was, yes.

CainsSon

Yes. That and as it happens, Alien is a story that has involved main characters dying from the get go. Also - A:CM had Hicks survive and that isn't retcon, it's shoehorned but it doesn't hurt the integrity fo the series because it doesn't exactly change the facts. It side steps them but it doesn't change them and I am fine with that.

Retconing basically says we can and will do whatever we want and nothing you've seen has any meaning. Even James Cameron who hated Alien 3 and 4 never even remotely suggested that they retcon anything when attempting to make Alien 5. Instead he felt AVP 'would ruin the integrity of the franchise' 

Blomkamp better be sure his film will be on par with Alien and Aliens because if its as good as Prometheus (which was a fairly well received film) just think of what problems you may end up having with it.

I'd rather Blomkamp make a 2 star Alien 5 that wasn't a retcon than a 3 star Alien 5 that is.

Keep in mind that the odds of his Alien 5 being as good as Alien and Aliens is slim. Very slim.

Jman

Superman Returns was a great tribute to the late Christopher Reeve. Superman III and IV just plain sucked. But hey, what can you do..

shakermakerman

But a retcon is basically a remake/reboot of a sequel so whats the problem jesus Christ lol.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed