Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM

Author
Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens (Read 81,756 times)

DoomRulz

That would be silly anyway. The story lines are confusing enough as they are when trying to tie in the comics and such with the movies.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Feb 26, 2015, 06:23:00 PM
Couldn't agree more, Omegazilla. Alternate canons are already an established fact. Alien 5 may be retconning 3 and 4, but the Resurrection-verse is still living on in the Titan novels. We're never going to get an "on screen" acknowledgement of a multiverse, though. That's more in the realm of superhero stories.

I absolutely advocate a multiverse. You know this.

However I am not asking for an on-screen acknowledgement of a multiverse, or even an on panel acknowledgement in the comics. I just would like for someone official to say that there is one, and leave it at that.

shakermakerman

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 06:12:40 PM
This is ludicrous. Why do people keep putting Alien3 on a pedestal? The film was awful. It may have been nice to look at, but it was a lousy movie and as I've said one million times in the past, unnecessary.
I remember reactions when it came out .... it wasn't good ..

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Horrific Hominid on Feb 26, 2015, 05:45:52 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 05:31:41 PM
Why? Because a small majority of fan boys are angry that a bad film and an even worse film are being ignored?

It's still part of established canon and should be respected.  If directors won't respect canon, then there's no point in making movie series' at all beyond incredibly self-contained stories like Hunger Games.

^^^THIS. If you can just do whatever you want, you are basically lambasting the integrity of everything that comes before or after it.

Shit. Why not just ignore ALIENS and start at the end of ALIEN. Did it seem dumb when you read ALIEN: Out of The Shadows?

I enjoyed that read - but I considered it fan wank and didn't take it seriously whatsoever.

Just because I initially didn't enjoy Hicks getting killed, doesn't mean I carry on like a butt hurt spoled brat for 20+ years until 2 sequels are retconed to satisfy my urge for something that wasn't when I wanted it.

Remember how absurd and crazy it was to watch Katy Bates demand an author re-write his book screaming "YOU CAN'T KILL MY MISERY!!!!"
Congratulations everyone. That's now what we've accepted as normal.

Which of those Misery books, as a fan, would you have accepted as the real one? If your answer is both of them... INTEGRITY people. This series USED to have it.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 26, 2015, 06:28:53 PM
Quote from: Horrific Hominid on Feb 26, 2015, 05:45:52 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 05:31:41 PM
Why? Because a small majority of fan boys are angry that a bad film and an even worse film are being ignored?

It's still part of established canon and should be respected.  If directors won't respect canon, then there's no point in making movie series' at all beyond incredibly self-contained stories like Hunger Games.

^^^THIS. If you can just do whatever you want, you are basically lambasting the integrity of everything that comes before or after it.

Shit. Why not just ignore ALIENS and start at the end of ALIEN. Did it seem dumb when you read ALIEN: Out of The Shadows?

I enjoyed that read - but I considered it fan wank and didn't take it seriously whatsoever.

Just because I initially didn't enjoy Hicks getting killed, doesn't mean I carry on like a butt hurt spoled brat for 20+ years until 2 sequels are retconed to satisfy my urge for something that wasn't when I wanted it.

Remember how absurd and crazy it was to watch Katy Bates demand an author re-write his book screaming "YOU CAN'T KILL MY MISERY!!!!"
Congratulations everyone. That's now what we've accepted as normal.

Which of those Misery books, as a fan, would you have accepted as the real one? If your answer is both of them... INTEGRITY people. This series USED to have it.

Which is so sad.

What's even sadder is that there seem to be A LOT of people who see this as a great thing, FOX and Blomkamp included. Quantity before quality = $$$

Jman

Just as in the Star Wars universe, there can and will be many different interpretations of the Alien saga through films-both big screen and small, novels, comics, etc, from many different writers. Nothing wrong with it. It is up to the individual to pick and choose what authors/directors they personally like best. Personally, I never really liked very much of the multiverse ideas/stories of SW, and pretty much stuck to the main films.

Nightlord

Best news I've heard all day.

RIP alien3 and resurrection.

shakermakerman

Ok then playing devils advocate, what gives someone the right just to right off someone else hard work and characters in sequels ? As Cameron said Alien 3 was a slap in the face to fans of hicks. Michael Biehn wasn't happy how Alien 3 was either.

predxeno

Fans have been more or less retconning for the last several years, I suppose it was inevitable that directors would do it as well.  Ignoring for the moment that fans have chosen to ignore EU as noncanon, they were rather quick to nitpick the AVP films into discontinuity, and when Fox officially announced that A:CM would be canon, fans didn't fly with that either.  It seems to me that personal canon has been dictating the direction of this series for a LONG time now, so if a director wants to bring Newt, Hicks, Ripley, and Bishop back from the dead (something I've been wanting for the LONGEST time) then I might as well get my share from all this while I still can.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 26, 2015, 06:32:53 PM
Quantity before quality = $$$
Same thing they thought when making Alien3...

DoomRulz

Quote from: shakermakerman on Feb 26, 2015, 06:37:28 PM
Ok then playing devils advocate, what gives someone the right just to right off someone else hard work and characters in sequels ? As Cameron said Alien 3 was a slap in the face to fans of hicks. Michael Biehn wasn't happy how Alien 3 was either.

Fox owns the rights and it's their property. That gives them the right.

ep40

I think that events of Alien 3 and A:R cut all possibilities of continuing story further in a way that makes sense. Events of those movies presented the idea that Derelict was destroyed, there was no other source of Alien eggs etc... Alien and Aliens presented the source of shown Xenos being the Derelict but didn't say anything that there couldn't be another loaded with eggs Space Jockey spaceship crashed on some other planet. Starting anew only with Alien and Aliens as canon gives more freedom with story.

Born Of Cold Light

The difference is that Alien 3 did not get rid of the events of Aliens.  While I too was kind of pissed at first at Hicks and Newt being killed, like was said earlier, it fits the tone of the series.  Killing off characters is far less a crime than wiping away whole movies.

shakermakerman

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 06:38:28 PM

Fox owns the rights and it's their property. That gives them the right.
yup same goes for retconing bad mistakes :)

hfeldhaus

Sadly no one can be surprised at them thinking of writing out two films. The Alien series has little to no integrity both in its fanbase and the controlling company.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed