Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM

Author
Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens (Read 81,782 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 26, 2015, 05:46:11 PM
Quote from: Liberator on Feb 26, 2015, 05:33:42 PM
Yes.  Alien 3 was beyond bad.  I can't think of a worse movie.

Well, there was The Last Airbender, but A3 certainly runs it close...

ALIENS trumps both.

Rankles75

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 26, 2015, 05:52:28 PM

ALIENS trumps both.

Keep taking the meds... :)

predxeno

Quote from: Horrific Hominid on Feb 26, 2015, 05:45:52 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 05:31:41 PM
Why? Because a small majority of fan boys are angry that a bad film and an even worse film are being ignored?

It's still part of established canon and should be respected.  If directors won't respect canon, then there's no point in making movie series' at all beyond incredibly self-contained stories like Hunger Games.

Tbh, it's not like fans respect established canon, either.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 26, 2015, 05:53:32 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 26, 2015, 05:52:28 PM

ALIENS trumps both.

Keep taking the meds... :)

Projecting much?

Corporal Hicks

Refrain from the personal attacks.

Adam802

So no ripley 8..... Thank god!!

RakaiThwei

So this is indeed a retcon..

There is little reason to pay attention to the series anymore if this is the route they are going to go.

I am not much of an Alien fan as I am with Predator, but I've supported the Alien franchise for twenty one years. Twenty one long years. Had this decision been made sixteen years ago, I would've been fine with it but for a movie which can be considered an ending to a saga, and another which served as an epilogue-- to be erased is quite disheartening. Alien 3, while ill-received, gets a lot of undeserved hate-- from the audience, and from Fox themselves. The latter most especially considering what happened on the set.

And when the movie was released, it was not well received for a variety of reasons. The movie was depressing, the movie had killed off two fan favorite characters, the movie had a nihilistic heroic ending of Ripley's sacrifice, that it went back instead of gone forward.. Whatever. The movie served as a reminder that the Alien universe was a cold, unforgiving place as cruel as the creature it spawned. And Ripley's sacrifice had a meaning to it, the Alien had taken everything from her and when she had nothing to lose, she was able to finally defeat the creature which had haunted her for so long. Ellen Ripley died a heroine. That was the ending to the Alien saga.

Resurrection served as an epilogue to the ending. And while I thought that the film was boring, I can say that it's a movie that can be chosen to be ignored. After all, it's an epilogue rather than an actual ending which is what Alien 3 was. So people can choose to watch or ignore Resurrection. I don't have anything positive or negative to say about Resurrection though as I have not seen it within the last fifteen years though.

I am done... Will I see the Blomkamp movie? Probably but... I just feel like this franchise outgrew me as a fan. Whatever enthusiasm which I had is... pretty much gone at this point. I want to support the franchise, and I want to be a fan.. I feel like.. I don't know, I'm a "bad" fan for not supporting this decision. That I feel like I need to send in my membership card.

Will Alien 3 and Resurrection continue to exist? Absolutely. We can watch them over and over again, maybe even use the movies for whatever fan-fiction and roleplaying. But it just doesn't feel the same without them being part of the Alien-Predator universe.

Now keep in mind, I've nothing bad to say about the Blomkamp film, I'm sure it will be a hit with ALIEN fans. I mean I liked District 9 as a movie, but I've never seen Elysium. So I'm happy for you guys, but I'm a little saddened for the unrecognized diamond that is Alien 3. Resurrection, I could do without.

My only wish is that... Fox would allow us alternative canons. For more than one canon.. I care deeply about this franchise, and the fandom. I want to be happy with it, I want everyone to be happy. That's why I advocate for multiple canons but.. that's likely not going to be the case if ever at all.

shakermakerman

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 05:31:41 PM
Why? Because a small majority of fan boys are angry that a bad film and an even worse film are being ignored?
This.
Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 26, 2015, 06:06:47 PM
So no ripley 8..... Thank god!!
And this.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 26, 2015, 06:07:27 PM
My only wish is that... Fox would allow us alternative canons.
You don't need Fox's approval for a personal canon...

DoomRulz

This is ludicrous. Why do people keep putting Alien3 on a pedestal? The film was awful. It may have been nice to look at, but it was a lousy movie and as I've said one million times in the past, unnecessary.

predxeno

Don't worry, RakaiThwei, I doubt Fox will ever declare Alien 3 and Rez noncanon for fear of losing money selling those films if not the fan outrage that will descend on them.  Personally, I like to see this retcon (if it is, indeed, a retcon) as a new opportunity in the franchise; we can finally clean the continuity up, while all the old EU, and AVP films, will be in the Alien 3 universe, the franchise can start over again with Alien (NB).  Hopefully, this will be like the Star Wars decision to non-canonify all its stories in order to start with a cleaner, more orderly approach.

SpreadEagleBeagle

So this is indeed a retcon..

There is little reason to pay attention to the series anymore if this is the route they are going to go.

I am not much of an Alien fan as I am with Predator, but I've supported the Alien franchise for twenty one years. Twenty one long years. Had this decision been made sixteen years ago, I would've been fine with it but for a movie which can be considered an ending to a saga, and another which served as an epilogue-- to be erased is quite disheartening. Alien 3, while ill-received, gets a lot of undeserved hate-- from the audience, and from Fox themselves. The latter most especially considering what happened on the set.

And when the movie was released, it was not well received for a variety of reasons. The movie was depressing, the movie had killed off two fan favorite characters, the movie had a nihilistic heroic ending of Ripley's sacrifice, that it went back instead of gone forward.. Whatever. The movie served as a reminder that the Alien universe was a cold, unforgiving place as cruel as the creature it spawned. And Ripley's sacrifice had a meaning to it, the Alien had taken everything from her and when she had nothing to lose, she was able to finally defeat the creature which had haunted her for so long. Ellen Ripley died a heroine. That was the ending to the Alien saga.

Resurrection served as an epilogue to the ending. And while I thought that the film was boring, I can say that it's a movie that can be chosen to be ignored. After all, it's an epilogue rather than an actual ending which is what Alien 3 was. So people can choose to watch or ignore Resurrection. I don't have anything positive or negative to say about Resurrection though as I have not seen it within the last fifteen years though.

I am done... Will I see the Blomkamp movie? Probably but... I just feel like this franchise outgrew me as a fan. Whatever enthusiasm which I had is... pretty much gone at this point. I want to support the franchise, and I want to be a fan.. I feel like.. I don't know, I'm a "bad" fan for not supporting this decision. That I feel like I need to send in my membership card.

Will Alien 3 and Resurrection continue to exist? Absolutely. We can watch them over and over again, maybe even use the movies for whatever fan-fiction and roleplaying. But it just doesn't feel the same without them being part of the Alien-Predator universe.

Now keep in mind, I've nothing bad to say about the Blomkamp film, I'm sure it will be a hit with ALIEN fans. I mean I liked District 9 as a movie, but I've never seen Elysium. So I'm happy for you guys, but I'm a little saddened for the unrecognized diamond that is Alien 3. Resurrection, I could do without.

My only wish is that... Fox would allow us alternative canons. For more than one canon.. I care deeply about this franchise, and the fandom. I want to be happy with it, I want everyone to be happy. That's why I advocate for multiple canons but.. that's likely not going to be the case if ever at all.

Good points.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 26, 2015, 06:12:28 PM

Oh I know! I know that much certainly and Alien 3 will always be a part of my personal canon.. But.. I just wish Fox would do what Toho did for the Godzilla series when they were producing the Heisei era films. They rendered all of the old stuff as an alternative continuity, still canon to the original 1954 film from what I know but no longer made a priority. They made that stuff a canonical alternative where as the Heisei era was the mainstream.

Fox should at least do that for the fans but.. I digress. I just feel burned out. Like I'm done.. Maybe I should've seen this coming. I thought this was going to last forever. I really did.

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 26, 2015, 06:14:52 PM
Don't worry, RakaiThwei, I doubt Fox will ever declare Alien 3 and Rez noncanon for fear of losing money selling those films if not the fan outrage that will descend on them.  Personally, I like to see this retcon (if it is, indeed, a retcon) as a new opportunity in the franchise; we can finally clean the continuity up, while all the old EU, and AVP films, will be in the Alien 3 universe, the franchise can start over again with Alien (NB).  Hopefully, this will be like the Star Wars decision to non-canonify all its stories in order to start with a cleaner, more orderly approach.

See my point to Omegazilla. I don't think I have a proper response for your statement at this time, PredXeno.

Jman

I think that, after Cameron's gunblasting roller coaster ride in Aliens, Alien3 seemed very slow paced and boring to some fans. For what it was, I enjoyed it. It tried to hark back to the survival horror feeling of the first film, but after seeing what seemed like hundreds of Xenos in the second film, and seeing them gunned down one after another, it kinda let the air out of any film recreating the tension of the original 1979 movie.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 26, 2015, 06:12:28 PM
My only wish is that... Fox would allow us alternative canons.

Couldn't agree more, Omegazilla. Alternate canons are already an established fact. Alien 5 may be retconning 3 and 4, but the Resurrection-verse is still living on in the Titan novels. We're never going to get an "on screen" acknowledgement of a multiverse, though. That's more in the realm of superhero stories.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed