Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM

Author
Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens (Read 79,934 times)

Hudson

Hudson

Just thought I'd pop in here to comment on Alien 3 and Resurrection being "retconned out of existence."

They will still exist...

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Hudson on Feb 26, 2015, 03:26:58 PM
Just thought I'd pop in here to comment on Alien 3 and Resurrection being "retconned out of existence."

They will still exist...

Exactly!  You can still enjoy your alternate universe ALien 3 and AR in the privacy of your own home.  No one will judge you!  I'm sure they'll even be re-released in a 5-film boxed set.  This is cause to celebrate...

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Hudson on Feb 26, 2015, 03:26:58 PM

They will still exist...

Yup!

Cool to see you around Hudson! Been a while.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on Feb 26, 2015, 03:26:58 PMThey will still exist...

That doesn't mean we have to be happy that a film many of us like very much is going to be written off and will therefore be null and void as far as the future of the franchise is concerned. It's not like nothing important happened in the third movie.

I mean, I hear what you're saying, but it's still an issue.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2015, 03:32:30 PM
Quote from: Hudson on Feb 26, 2015, 03:26:58 PMThey will still exist...

That doesn't mean we have to be happy that a film many of us like very much is going to be written off and will therefore be null and void as far as the future of the franchise is concerned. It's not like nothing important happened in the third movie.

I mean, I hear what you're saying, but it's still an issue.

Yeah - I was being a little dramatic because I dislike the notion.

But yeah, HuDa reflects perfectly my issue.

I'm still going to be interested and follow it and if it's good, then awesome! But a part of me will always be disappointed.

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 26, 2015, 03:09:13 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/feb/26/alien-neill-blomkamp-sigourney-weaver

If it's true - which I have no reason doubt - then yeah, this is likely to be a retcon after that comment.
Spoiler
[close]

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

This franchise is officially bankrupt on creativity and ideas.

Quantity before quality.

acrediblesource

hrmm... any else feel that they are secretly doing Alien Isolation as a movie instead?  ;D  genetic sibling.......  ;)

Born Of Cold Light

Retconning, unless done with the most absolute of care, is wrong and disrespectful.  It's one thing if you're just batting out fan fiction in your bedroom, but it's a whole 'nother thing if you are hired on as an official writer in an established universe.  Then you are part of something much bigger that yourself and you should respect everything that's come before, even if you don't like all of it.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Horrific Hominid on Feb 26, 2015, 05:08:36 PM
Then you are part of something much bigger that yourself and you should respect everything that's come before,

He is, hence why it's a sequel of sorts to the two best films in the series.

Valaquen

Retconning, unless done with the most absolute of care, is wrong and disrespectful.  It's one thing if you're just batting out fan fiction in your bedroom, but it's a whole 'nother thing if you are hired on as an official writer in an established universe.  Then you are part of something much bigger that yourself and you should respect everything that's come before, even if you don't like all of it.

I doubt Blomkamp had Fox in a chokehold to get his way.

Retconning is older than cinema. It's worked wonders in other forms of art for centuries.

Seriously, we're going to need an inverse version of this soon:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Fact is, the general audience gives about zero shits about this whole ordeal. Most don't even remember there were films after Aliens; and those that do do not remember them fondly. This decision is only pissing off some long time fans -- a small portion of the overall target audience.

TimmyTurnersDad

TimmyTurnersDad

Quote from: Omegazilla on Feb 26, 2015, 05:16:16 PM
Fact is, the general audience gives about zero shits about this whole ordeal. Most don't even remember there were films after Aliens; and those that do do not remember them fondly. This decision is only pissing off some long time fans -- a small portion of the overall target audience.

Exactly. My dad is a huge fan of the series, and has been for years, even though he doesn't go on forums or chat about it. This is the most excited I've seen him react to news for an Alien movie in years. I dare say that the only man who hates Alien 3 more than my dad is David Fincher himself. I have heard stories about his reaction to seeing Alien 3 at the midnight premiere with my grandmother (his mother-in-law).

Personally? I'm more open-minded, though I do think that making this film a direct sequel to Aliens is the best route to go with. However part of why I'm really glad they're going in this route is for my dad. He got me into the series and I hate seeing him constantly get more and more disappointed with each new entry. I want to be able to go to the theaters in a few years from now and see the new Alien film with him and come out of it with him happy. Sentimental and/or biased on my part? Certainly.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: TimmyTurnersDad on Feb 26, 2015, 05:22:03 PM
I dare say that the only man who hates Alien 3 more than my dad is David Fincher himself.

Alien 3...

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 26, 2015, 05:14:02 PM
Then you are part of something much bigger that yourself and you should respect everything that's come before,

He is, hence why it's a sequel of sorts to the two best films in the series.

A spiritual sequel is one thing.  A fanboyish wank fest where a director ignores one-half of an entire franchise so he can play with real-life Ripley and Hicks action figures is something very different and very wrong.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed