Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,406 times)

predxeno

Of course, we want the story finished but it is disgraceful how much Prometheus tried to advertise itself as an Alien movie when it wanted to be something completely different.

Magegg

Hey, I love Alien: Resurrection but I wouldn't mind if it's plain wiped out of continuity. Same for Spider-Man 3 and X-Men: The Last Stand.

Simply there could have been better, less underwhelming ways to develop the sequel...

Quote from: Horrific Hominid on Feb 26, 2015, 09:13:05 PM
Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 26, 2015, 09:11:19 PM
I dont care about Prometheus/Prometheus 2 AT ALL at this point.  Especially after an Alien 5 announcement. 

Prometheus had no desire itself to be an ALIEN movie, so why should I even consider it as such myself?

Don't you want the story to be finished?
Alien 3 concluded the story. Alien Rez was nothing but an artificial (literally, because of the cloning) way to extend the franchise's life. There's no point on trying to carry on with that, because as the way it is, the story would never be "concluded".

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 26, 2015, 09:15:14 PM
Of course, we want the story finished but it is disgraceful how much Prometheus tried to advertise itself as an Alien movie when it wanted to be something completely different.

I agree that it was a bait and switch, but with the deacon and the hope of seeing the Engineer homeworld, the next film promises to be amazing.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 26, 2015, 09:15:58 PM
Hey, I love Alien: Resurrection but I wouldn't mind if it's plain wiped out of continuity. Same for Spider-Man 3 and X-Men: The Last Stand.

In the case of X-Men, Last Stand was erased... and so were the rest of the other X-Men films thanks to Days of Futures Past.

Tough little S.O.B.

Simply there could have been better, less underwhelming ways to develop the sequel...

Quote from: Horrific Hominid on Feb 26, 2015, 09:13:05 PM
Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 26, 2015, 09:11:19 PM
I dont care about Prometheus/Prometheus 2 AT ALL at this point.  Especially after an Alien 5 announcement. 

Prometheus had no desire itself to be an ALIEN movie, so why should I even consider it as such myself?

I would have been perfectly happy if Alien 3 was the last we saw of the Alien, but after A:R, AVP prometheus etc. we NEED another good movie about that unvierse....Let's hope Neill can do that, whatever they do story-wise.

Don't you want the story to be finished?
Alien 3 concluded the story. Alien Rez was nothing but an artificial (literally, because of the cloning) way to extend the franchise's life. There's no point on trying to carry on with that, because as the way it is, the story would never be "concluded".

Adam802

Ill eventually see P2 just because, BUT I dont like the way Prometheus turned out and I hated its reveal/explanation for the Space Jockey.  Prometheus is NON-CANON to me personally.  Just like A:R and the AVP movies.  Fun movies in their own right on their own....but not true ALIEN films. 

That's that.

Born Of Cold Light

Those movies weren't very good, but again, if you cut out parts of franchises that you just don't like, you undercut the whole idea of having running franchises to begin with.

QuoteAlien 3 concluded the story. Alien Rez was nothing but an artificial (literally, because of the cloning) way to extend the franchise's life. There's no point on trying to carry on with that, because as the way it is, the story would never be "concluded".

I was actually referring specifically to Prometheus but my point stands.  Resurrection may have been an attempted cash cow but it's been an accepted part of the franchise for almost two decades now and cutting it out undercuts the integrity of the franchise.  Why even bother to make sequels at all if the whole thing is just going to be chopped and screwed later on?

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 26, 2015, 08:47:24 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 26, 2015, 08:18:15 PM
Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 26, 2015, 07:42:10 PM
What would Fincher care? He couldn't disown that piece of garbage quickly enough...

Nice twisting & turning. FOX made his life a living hell. The movie itself is excellent and beyond any expectations, especially  considering the circumstances. Blows ALIENS out of the water. Unfortunately the Cameron touch tainted the franchise so badly that anything that isn't ALIENS 2 is considered "garbage" that has to be retconned no matter what.

I get it, you don't like Aliens but let's be realistic here. Aliens is widely regarded as at least one of the best action movies ever made. Alien 3 was pilloried even before it's release because of all the production problems, then it was released and was panned by the majority of critics for a variety of reasons. Not Fincher's fault, it could have been far worse in the hands of a lesser director, but it was still a mess which derailed the series...
Don't take him too seriously. He's still in the "Anger" stage of grief. Who knows if he'll ever get to "acceptance" but yeah he got much more aggressive compared to the "denial" phase that has been going on since Neill's "might officially be my next project" tweet. And it's understandable.

Stating opinion as fact is a bit heavy though. Specially when that opinion is in the minority.

GQSioux

"I'm not trying to undo Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ihfeibtCQ&feature=youtu.be

Alien³

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 26, 2015, 09:22:10 PM
Hey, I love Alien: Resurrection but I wouldn't mind if it's plain wiped out of continuity. Same for Spider-Man 3

How was Spider-man 3 retconned?

Throughout its pre-production Ridley stated in many interviews it was going in the new direction just set in the same universe.

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Feb 26, 2015, 08:50:58 PM
she sacrificed herself to save all of humanity from the nightmare and the horrors she endured for so long, and then you see the shot of the sun rising up again and seeing the darkness engulfing the planet surface being purged by the light of the sun. How can you get any more of a noble and powerful ending? I don't think Blomkamp can ever top that.

Completely agree. Booted even more by the recording she made at the end of Alien.

End of transmission.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Horrific Hominid on Feb 26, 2015, 09:25:26 PMThose movies weren't very good
Well, I think they were really enjoyable, just not the way the route the movies should have gone. That's also what I think about Alien Resurrection.
And as for Alien 3, there's a HUGE amount of people that find them both boring, underwhelming and a bad closure to the trilogy.

In the case of X-Men, Last Stand was erased... and so were the rest of the other X-Men films thanks to Days of Futures Past.
Yeah, X-Men could pull it in a very clever way because of:
1.- It took advantage of the classic comic book storyline
2.- It tied in with the recent prequel movies
3.- The X-Men universe is highly unrealistic sci-fi already, so introducing a sort of time travel thing didn't seem forced.

As for Alien, I wouldn't like an in-continuity retcon (like what X-Men or Star Trek did). Time travel wouldn't fit in this relatively "low" sci-fi series, and I plain don't want them to spend a whole movie trying to reconcile with Alien 3 and Rez and trying too hard for everything to make sense.

Just go and pretend Alien 3 and Rez never happened (like what X-Men: DoFP opening scenes did to The Wolverine's post-credits scene), ignore that completely and let's do a kickass Alien movie, that's all I want.

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Feb 26, 2015, 08:50:58 PM
she sacrificed herself to save all of humanity from the nightmare and the horrors she endured for so long, and then you see the shot of the sun rising up again and seeing the darkness engulfing the planet surface being purged by the light of the sun. How can you get any more of a noble and powerful ending? I don't think Blomkamp can ever top that.

Completely agree. Booted even more by the recording she made at the end of Alien.
And yet, people didn't like it.

Talk all good you want about the movie but most of the audience didn't like it at all and they wanted something different for the franchise.

predxeno

Quote from: Horrific Hominid on Feb 26, 2015, 09:19:43 PM

I agree that it was a bait and switch, but with the deacon and the hope of seeing the Engineer homeworld, the next film promises to be amazing.

Not to rain on your parade, but Ridley has stated he doesn't want to do the "gods and dragons" motif (aka Engineers and Aliens) anymore in future films so I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing the Engineer homeworld. :(

RakaiThwei

Quote from: GQSioux on Feb 26, 2015, 09:28:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ihfeibtCQ&feature=youtu.be

....Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Adam802

Adam802

Quote from: GQSioux on Feb 26, 2015, 09:28:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ihfeibtCQ&feature=youtu.be

very interesting, I like that Sigourney pretty much says that she didnt like the way the movies went by the end of the last 2 films.  And I think Blomkamp is pretty much saying that he doesnt want to officially retcon A3/AR, just ignore them and make the movie he want for HIS vision, which I fully support.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 26, 2015, 09:31:12 PMYeah, X-Men could pull it in a very clever way because of:
1.- It took advantage of the classic comic book storyline
2.- It tied in with the recent prequel movies
3.- The X-Men universe is highly unrealistic sci-fi already, so introducing a sort of time travel thing didn't seem forced.

Except they then went and totally f*cked it by resurrecting Patrick Stewart without a single f*cking word of explanation. I've literally never seen such a blatant lack of bothering to explain yourself in a film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed