Alien 3 Podcast Featuring Vincent Ward & Lance Henriksen

Started by Darkness, Jul 22, 2015, 07:31:57 PM

Author
Alien 3 Podcast Featuring Vincent Ward & Lance Henriksen (Read 32,036 times)

HuDaFuK

The opening credits in Alien 3 are awesome. That moment when the Fox fanfare crashes into the opening music is spine-chilling.

Alien³

Yeah and the hideous imagery of the face hugger trying to break into the cyro-tubes with flashing images of Ripley convulsing is chilling.

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. I think the Alien 3 is an incredible opening and that style is one of my favourites.

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2015, 08:09:46 AM
The opening credits in Alien 3 are awesome. That moment when the Fox fanfare crashes into the opening music is spine-chilling.

Heh, yeah I love that bit. Definitely owning how much of a dark movie it is.

I'm only about 40 minutes into this podcast so far, listening to it in segments (currently in the Vincent Ward phone convo). They are really hard on the movie. It makes me wonder why they hosted this at all honestly, because they won't shut up about how much they hate Alien 3. The first guest who gets introduced is a really insufferable person, it seems to me at least. He's annoying and really overexaggerates his displeasure with the film, seems to be nitpicking for every little thing (such as the credits!?). Talking about how Clemens's death contributed to the film being "garbage," and that it made his set-up a waste of time. I find Clemens's death to be one of the high points in the entire series. It comes out of nowhere, reinforces how ruthless the movie is, and is well edited for my tastes. I find that scene to be really impactful, not a slap in the face.

They haven't mentioned how good the movie looks or how good the score is.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Hudson on Jul 31, 2015, 02:40:58 PM
They haven't mentioned how good the movie looks or how good the score is.

Indeed. It's not a very balanced approach. It's why I haven't rushed back to it yet. I still want to hear the other interviews but I agree with everything you've just said.

To me, Alien 3 is about the brutality of facing the Aliens and the harshness of the world they live in.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on Jul 31, 2015, 02:40:58 PMThey haven't mentioned how good the movie looks or how good the score is.

The score in Alien 3 is easily the best in the series, despite having very strong competition.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 31, 2015, 03:12:30 PM
Quote from: Hudson on Jul 31, 2015, 02:40:58 PMThey haven't mentioned how good the movie looks or how good the score is.

The score in Alien 3 is easily the best in the series, despite having very strong competition.
Very dark

Valaquen

Some of it is reminiscent of Batman Forever, which obviously came out later but I saw it long before Alien 3. Kind of tainted it for me.

Also thought Clemens' death was a waste of time. Haven't had the time to listen to this podcast yet, though.

Hudson

LOL, do these guys not know how facehuggers work?

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 31, 2015, 05:44:22 PM

Some of it is reminiscent of Batman Forever, which obviously came out later but I saw it long before Alien 3. Kind of tainted it for me.

The soundtracks to 'Alien 3' and 'Interview With The Vampire' are almost exactly the same, in terms of tone. Completely different arrangements, but if there were ever two soundtracks which could be put together into one epic collection, it'd be those two. You can listen to them back to back and it's almost as if the composer made them for the same film.

Hudson

The rape scene music is definitely in Batman Forever completely verbatim (at least it REALLY sounds like it's the same track). Takes place when Robin gets jumped after driving the Batmobile around at night.

ts124

Quote from: Rankles75 on Jul 26, 2015, 04:20:40 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 26, 2015, 02:01:44 AM
It's rare to find someone who literally hates it (although, its own director is on the record as saying he does). Most critics of it were simply very disappointed/underwhelmed.

'Alien' fans, by and large, are not unfamiliar with themes of futility and nihilism. The first two deal heavily in them. Back in the eighties and early nineties, it was probably characterised as the one futuristic science-fiction series you gravitated to if you were fed up with the (relatively) superficial overtones of 'Star Trek' and 'Star Wars'. It was only later that stuff like 'Babylon 5' and 'Farscape' began to pick up the same ball and run with it.

You can count me as one. Absolutely detest everything about it. Shonky FX, pointless characters who exist only to swear with every other word and get killed in largely stupid ways, stupid beginning with the magic egg that effectively killed the series. Just didn't have a single redeeming feature for me...
Same here. I enjoy very little about the film. I like the Alien design and thats about it. I get that they were going for the "shock factor" by killing off all of the characters, but I felt that it was too soon honestly. There is still so much that could have been explored. I have tried to like it more and be more accepting of it, but the more I try and watch it the less I like it. Also very unhappy with how they treated Giger for this movie.

Alien³

Also thought Clemens' death was a waste of time.

Clemen's death was there to remind Ripley that no matter how much she longs for peace she won't find it until the species is dead.

It's so well shot and the music is creepy as hell! Not to mention it gave us the iconic image of Ripley and the alien.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I do agree with Valaquen though. Clemens' death happened FAR too early.

Valaquen

Quote from: Alien³ on Aug 01, 2015, 11:09:46 AM
Also thought Clemens' death was a waste of time.

Clemen's death was there to remind Ripley that no matter how much she longs for peace she won't find it until the species is dead.

Yeah yeah, the entire opening of the film was dedicated to that. They couldn't think of how to get the character to work in the third act so they wiped the slate again after wasting however many scenes dedicated to him alone investigating the Alien (a mystery to which the entire audience already knew the answer). A waste of my time, I feel. He was only mentioned off-handedly once afterwards.

Quote from: Hudson on Jul 31, 2015, 10:56:08 PM
The rape scene music is definitely in Batman Forever completely verbatim (at least it REALLY sounds like it's the same track). Takes place when Robin gets jumped after driving the Batmobile around at night.

Yeah, there are a few more similar cues and discordant noises that I recall, too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed