Will there be a sequel with Amanda Ripley?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Nov 12, 2014, 11:25:29 PM

Author
Will there be a sequel with Amanda Ripley? (Read 26,169 times)

robbritton

The logical thing to do for an interim sequel, is to emulate Halo 2* and have the experience split over two characters; one trapped in a similar situation to Isolation, and another armed and in a similar situation to Aliens and then have them converge later on. Then CA can have their cake and eat it. It would be lovely to see something with more scale, though, as good as AI was. Remember those early concept paintings for Colonial Marines? Somewhere like that, exapnded out from what we've seen before. Malls and streets and homes and lives wrecked by the creatures. Something new.

*but actually fun, obviously.

newbeing

Quote from: robbritton on Dec 18, 2014, 10:00:35 AM
The logical thing to do for an interim sequel, is to emulate Halo 2* and have the experience split over two characters; one trapped in a similar situation to Isolation, and another armed and in a similar situation to Aliens and then have them converge later on. Then CA can have their cake and eat it. It would be lovely to see something with more scale, though, as good as AI was. Remember those early concept paintings for Colonial Marines? Somewhere like that, exapnded out from what we've seen before. Malls and streets and homes and lives wrecked by the creatures. Something new.

*but actually fun, obviously.

I'm going to say having the experience split up over two characters with different gameplay styles is not a great idea. At least for a direct sequel. The problem is that changes expectations, and instead of having one cohesive and polished concept, you have the designers trying to juggle to differing game styles. One is bound to suffer. Take RE 6 as an example. Their try to please everyone approach, ended up pleasing very few. I want the Isolation series to remain in the survival horror roots. I want creative assembly to take what worked in the previous game and improve upon that. Increase the intensity, make it scarier and more immersive.

I'm not against have an ALIENS experience that feels similar to A:I, but I would rather it be it's own full experience, fully polished and given the type of caring attention Alien: Isolation received. Not just riding the coattails of another game's success.

Gate

Imagine being the only character without an automatic weapon.

PRI. HUDSON

Whoever said this game be lucky to sell 500,000 must feel dumb. VG Chartz has AI at 950,000. Crossing a million is inevitable at this point. Congrats to CA for making a successful game!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Chronicle on Dec 16, 2014, 09:45:15 PM
I feel like many fans from the United Kingdom are so entrenched in Scott's vision of the series.

You'll probably find most people here in the UK prefer the sequel. :)

I think a lot of the hype has been about how stunningly consistent the atmosphere of this game was, compared to the original movie (with the bizarre exception of audio tape players, of course). If the same people had shown the same attention to detail and had it set in a massive version of a colony like Hadley's Hope, we'd see similar reviews praising it for that.

If they absolutely have to go down the same road, again, I'd wager that's what will be up next: Same formula, but a transition to a different sort of environment. Maybe even replicating something like what would have happened between Newt and the woman who got abducted just a little while before the Marines ultimately showed up.

That's my feeling on this. They'll decide we're allowed to improvise more effective traps and/or actual weapons, but at the cost of having to protect someone who's important for our own survival (or to retain our sanity, which would be an interesting mechanic to implement, if they get it right). I could see, for example, mini-games, whereby the power was cut and we have precious few weapons to defend ourselves with, but where we have to get to security stations and reactivate automated defences. Maybe then, in turn, at the cost of knowing that if we kill one patrolling scout Alien, it'll wake up more... Having to constantly gamble whether it's worth dispatching one immediate threat in the knowledge that the danger you later face will be magnified.

After all, in this one, the station was just a massive version of the Nostromo. If the next is like a massive version of Hadley's hope, that would feel like a logical progression. Maybe even with sections where we have to swim underwear or navigate toxic waste dumps, to give nostalgic hints of the other two movies, too.

Essentially, that wouldn't be too unlike what the last 'Aliens Versus Predator' game gave us, of course, considering how its architecture was like, but I think most people liked how that one presented its environment.

Son Of Kane

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 19, 2014, 12:33:43 PM
Quote from: Chronicle on Dec 16, 2014, 09:45:15 PM
I feel like many fans from the United Kingdom are so entrenched in Scott's vision of the series.

You'll probably find most people here in the UK prefer the sequel. :)

I think a lot of the hype has been about how stunningly consistent the atmosphere of this game was, compared to the original movie (with the bizarre exception of audio tape players, of course). If the same people had shown the same attention to detail and had it set in a massive version of a colony like Hadley's Hope, we'd see similar reviews praising it for that.

If they absolutely have to go down the same road, again, I'd wager that's what will be up next: Same formula, but a transition to a different sort of environment. Maybe even replicating something like what would have happened between Newt and the woman who got abducted just a little while before the Marines ultimately showed up.

That's my feeling on this. They'll decide we're allowed to improvise more effective traps and/or actual weapons, but at the cost of having to protect someone who's important for our own survival (or to retain our sanity, which would be an interesting mechanic to implement, if they get it right). I could see, for example, mini-games, whereby the power was cut and we have precious few weapons to defend ourselves with, but where we have to get to security stations and reactivate automated defences. Maybe then, in turn, at the cost of knowing that if we kill one patrolling scout Alien, it'll wake up more... Having to constantly gamble whether it's worth dispatching one immediate threat in the knowledge that the danger you later face will be magnified.

After all, in this one, the station was just a massive version of the Nostromo. If the next is like a massive version of Hadley's hope, that would feel like a logical progression. Maybe even with sections where we have to swim underwear or navigate toxic waste dumps, to give nostalgic hints of the other two movies, too.

Essentially, that wouldn't be too unlike what the last 'Aliens Versus Predator' game gave us, of course, considering how its architecture was like, but I think most people liked how that one presented its environment.

Love this idea, but these ideas for a sequel are obvious- what concerns me is where do they go after that?
RPG elements?

acrediblesource

Hadley's Hope would be the sequel however we are looking at a few challenges here
1. A:I had one alien and it was decent 60fps, that means you need something a little more powerful to display several dozen of them on screen at the same time at the same detail level maybe.

Now they did show three at a time near the end of the game, but how knows.
Plus the mechanics of several aliens at once poses a few more collision challenges, etc.

However that doesn't mean we can't have the game void of aliens most off the time and then we get to explore HH all alone without weapons.

A skirmish battle isnt in demand for an engine like this.

Xenomorphine

They won't do Hadley's Hope (if only because it's too soon after the previous game's attempt). A colony like it, maybe. An original location would allow them to map it to their heart's content.

As for RPG elements, that would be simple enough for them to do. Bioware's refined that formula for a long while.

Corporal Hicks

I'm all for a brand new colony. With completely dissimilar architecture.

razeak

razeak

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Dec 18, 2014, 09:32:31 PM
Whoever said this game be lucky to sell 500,000 must feel dumb. VG Chartz has AI at 950,000. Crossing a million is inevitable at this point. Congrats to CA for making a successful game!

Jesus, let it go. It wasn't a personal attack on you lol. I think it's well over 500k, but don't put much faith in VGchartz either. I'm glad I was wrong. I don't really feel dumb because I made a bad prediction on something as volatile as consumer markets. I at least made an effort other than "ALIENZ RULZ 1 MILLION 4LIFE!!!!!!!!!" lol.

It had everything going against it and overcame all of those obstacles. That's freaking awesome.

robbritton

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 22, 2014, 10:15:41 AM
I'm all for a brand new colony. With completely dissimilar architecture.

Quite. It'd be lovely to see something totally new.

Corporal Hicks

I'd like to see something more established and in the process of expanding as well. Uncomplete industrial areas combined with a very thriving area.

robbritton

An actual functioning world would be nice, as opposed to the usual frontier town/busted spaceship. The flagship of terraforming perhaps (since Ripley wasn't familiar with it, the timeline would be ok)? Somewhere like how the adverts on the consoles in AVP2010 showed how that planet was predicted to end up. Then we could have the Half-Life 2 effect of an actual world fallen apart, as well as something which is both new to AND sympathetic with the franchise.

bwh1990

A cool idea I have had for a while  gameplay wise is to have different castes of xenomorph hunt the player in different ways. This would especially work with a Runner, down on all fours it would search low under desks and such before it looks up in lockers and whatnot. A stark contrast to the bipedal drone. Coming across a dead dog with a huge hole in it's chest would be intense and give players a real 'oh sh*t' moment. This is a great idea bros.

Scorpio

It's strongly hinted that Amanda Ripley was impregnated.  Playing the game again, I noticed that she encounters 2 drones after she wakes up in the hive.  The drones see Ripley but don't attack which leads me to believe she was impregnated (like the famous scene in Alien 3). 

That could be an idea for a sequel if they ever make one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed