Will there be a sequel with Amanda Ripley?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Nov 12, 2014, 11:25:29 PM

Author
Will there be a sequel with Amanda Ripley? (Read 26,170 times)

Doktor Wunderbar

What would someone think of a campaign, either long or short, as one of the last surviving colonists of Hadley's Hope?  We know how it ends for them, but that doesn't mean that an interesting story can't be told.

Quote from: Doktor_Wunderbar on Dec 09, 2014, 12:52:47 AM
What would someone think of a campaign, either long or short, as one of the last surviving colonists of Hadley's Hope?  We know how it ends for them, but that doesn't mean that an interesting story can't be told.

Someone didn't read the thread :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

But haven't we been whinging enough about re-treading the past? I'd rather see us move on into a completely new direction.

Xenoscream

The problem is what direction do you go in?

A:I was essentially Alien on a space station. It's difficult to take the Alien and tell a new story, as even with most of the films it's a case of choosing an environment and dropping an Alien in for people to deal with.

What I'd like to see, and this is super ambitious, is post Alien apocalypse Earth, with a Last of Us style human story of survival. I think the direction that could be taken is to make the Alien the environmental threat and focus on a great human narrative.

Corporal Hicks

Maybe not an Earth - it wouldn't fit in the continuity - but some sort of well developed colony. Crawling around an infected and hived up city would be really awesome.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 10, 2014, 10:54:09 AM
Maybe not an Earth - it wouldn't fit in the continuity - but some sort of well developed colony. Crawling around an infected and hived up city would be really awesome.

That's not a bad idea actually, because you could have a colony with some of the visuals from Aliens and Alien 3 without it actually being Archeron or Fiorina. just an industrial WY colony with some sort of metal works. without it affecting canon.

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 09, 2014, 09:49:50 AM
But haven't we been whinging enough about re-threading the past? I'd rather see us move on into a completely new direction.

Yeah, I'd like to see something ambitious. Not that Isolation wasn't, it certainly was, but it attained its goal. Reading that they want to do the same lone Alien thing again with some gameplay tweaks has me worried. I'd love them to create a city, something we haven't seen in the series yet. I also think that action can be done in a way that isn't throwaway, in a way that is terrifying and requires some thought, but they don't seem to agree.

Xenoscream

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 10, 2014, 10:54:09 AM

I had a think about what the key difference in my Earth idea was, and it's this: There is actually no escape, your character is just living in this world and that's how it is.

On a colony, spaceship, other planet there is always that hope of getting out somehow. I think the really ambitious idea would be to create a universe where the worst has happening and humanity can't win but has to adapt to the harsh new reality.

I get that it wouldn't follow the films, but I don't see why it can't start a new EU canon (or even use an old one).

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It couldn't use a new EU because Fox is making an effort to make this new EU all fit in.

I get what you're saying but I disagree.  That this point, when humanity would be pretty widespread,  they fould easily escape the planet. Especially if there were some well developed colonies out there.

newbeing

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 11, 2014, 12:29:36 PM
It couldn't use an new EU because Fox is making an effort to make this new EU all fit in.

I get what you're saying but I disagree.  That this point, when humanity would be pretty widespread,  they fould easily escape the planet. Especially if there were some well developed colonies out there.

I think the other problem is Alien has always been about people being trapped in remote and hostile areas where escape is nearly impossible. Not to say Earth doesn't posses those types of places, but Earth is a familiar backdrop. No matter how much you dress it up in futuristic details, it lacks the interest, terror and majesty of being in another solar system. I want to be taken to worlds or environments that few have experienced.

On top of that, invaded earth is basically the end game of the series. Much of the narrative tension lies in hoping this infection never reaches anywhere near earth.

Engineer

Quote from: newbeing on Dec 11, 2014, 03:48:12 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 11, 2014, 12:29:36 PM
It couldn't use an new EU because Fox is making an effort to make this new EU all fit in.

I think the other problem is Alien has always been about people being trapped in remote and hostile areas where escape is nearly impossible. Not to say Earth doesn't posses those types of places, but Earth is a familiar backdrop. No matter how much you dress it up in futuristic details, it lacks the interest, terror and majesty of being in another solar system. I want to be taken to worlds or environments that few have experienced.

On top of that, invaded earth is basically the end game of the series. Much of the narrative tension lies in hoping this infection never reaches anywhere near earth.
I agree with this...

Xenomorphine

Considering what happened in the recent comics, I'm not sure Fox is really taking more than a cursory interested in how it might fit together... They start out with a whole lot of people escaping Hadley's Hope, which completely flies in the face of Hudson's comment about all the PDTs being holed up at the atmosphere processor.

If that many were missing, the Marines would have been more on guard, realising the obvious. As it was, Hicks presumes they're alive with a, "Looks like a God damned town meeting," while Gorman smiles and clearly thinks, like the rest of them, that they can go off and basically round everyone up to rescue them. And, of course, we find out they're just reading the PDTs in almost nothing but cadavers.

Between that and no explanation given for how Amanda's discoveries effectively contradict what Burke said about her, I get the impression that Fox is being more or less hands-off, logic-wise and assuming creative types probably know what they're doing.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 15, 2014, 12:11:37 AM
Between that and no explanation given for how Amanda's discoveries effectively contradict what Burke said about her, I get the impression that Fox is being more or less hands-off, logic-wise and assuming creative types probably know what they're doing.

Nah - they're just doing a bit of revisionist history - as jarring as some of those revisions are. The whole Titan trilogy was born of Fox. Their briefs came from Fox, not the other way around. Fox are very much hands-on at the minute.

Xenomorphine

Stop it, Fox.  :( :( :(

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 10, 2014, 01:44:37 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 09, 2014, 09:49:50 AM
But haven't we been whinging enough about re-threading the past? I'd rather see us move on into a completely new direction.

Yeah, I'd like to see something ambitious. Not that Isolation wasn't, it certainly was, but it attained its goal. Reading that they want to do the same lone Alien thing again with some gameplay tweaks has me worried. I'd love them to create a city, something we haven't seen in the series yet. I also think that action can be done in a way that isn't throwaway, in a way that is terrifying and requires some thought, but they don't seem to agree.

I could agree Valaquen. Just reusing the same formula that made Alien Isolation scary just doesn't seem exciting whatsoever. I feel like many fans from the United Kingdom are so entrenched in Scott's vision of the series. We need to move away from that in the next game and make the game more expansive and more punchy. Maybe taking the route of Aliens. One of the developers through the interview that Avpgalaxy conducted talked about Aliens not being 'Alien' enough? Seriously? its an Alien film. One of the best movies in film history. How would you not want to execute production on such a game? I mean Colonial Marines was a pitiful game and didn't do ANY justice for Aliens. With Creative Assembly's ability to make Alien into such a true experience and follow up to the first Alien, who says they couldn't do it for Aliens? It just doesn't make any sense. And I truly HOPE they don't do another Alien type of game. Please, we need something different guys...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed