Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 179,674 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: necrotard on Dec 17, 2017, 01:12:27 AM
What if Scott's third prequel establishes that David is the re-creator and not the creator?  Wouldn't that undo some of the "damage" that Covenant haters perceive?

While I don't hate Covenant, I severely dislike how it shoehorned and used the Aliens in the film. I think I'd be willing to accept that retcon but with how poorly they handled the "course correction" on Covenant I'm not sure I'd feel confident that any course correction in Awakening would be any good.

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 17, 2017, 01:21:51 AM
At least Ridley has a vision.  Some may not like it, but Ridley is a real filmmaker.  He's made more classics than most directors alive today.  He's not just another Disney hack making a movie run by committee. 

No, unfortunately he's a victim of his own success where he's no longer a part of a bigger machine whose talents work together to make an all around great film - Alien.

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 17, 2017, 01:21:51 AM
I'd classify Covenant haters:

1.  Massive Aliens fanboys who just want more colonial marines, pulse rifles, etc
2.  Kids (see above)
3.  Conservative Alien fans who believe everything must stick to the previously established rules
4.  Homophobes (?)

:)

But seriously, if you don't like Covenant that's your business and I don't mean to imply anything.

You're dogged refusal to accept any other than these reasons for people's dislike for Covenant is just painful to read. It's as bad as the people who throw shade at fans of Covenant.

Quote from: necrotard on Dec 17, 2017, 03:54:31 AM
I'll just leave it at this:

The reason we have aliens in Covenant is because of online complaints.

Of a complaint so far down on the list of the reasons people disliked Prometheus.

tleilaxu

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 19, 2017, 08:16:02 AM
I know! But that's what I love about it.

In a parallel reality where more art-housey Alien films could get made, someone like David Fincher or David Cronenburg delivering such a deliciously bleak and nasty film.
I've said this before, but David Cronenberg is the only other director I'd trust with an Alien film at this point.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

It's funny how Fox got to do a 4th Predator film just like doing 4 Alien films right before the Disney deal. Not counting the Avp films. What I mean is

Fox- Predator, Predator 2, Predators, The Predator.

Fox- Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Ressurrection.

Brent

:'(  :'(  bruh sooner or later Disney is gonna control the world

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Is The Predator movie called that because of the 10 foot Predator that we are going to see in the movie? There must be a meaning for the title. That's the Pred that will reclaim the stolen technology from the humans.

Prof. a

A lot of people are assuming that Disney will do a soft reboot of the Alien series. Certainly, that makes sense if you look at how they've handled Star Wars.

However, there is also a strong possibility that Disney just shelves the entire film series for some time, possibly forever. While I am just speculating and do not claim to have inside information, if you examine Disney's business model, they are not in the business of small returns on investment.

Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar - they all invest millions and expect millions upon millions more in profit.

If the Disney deal goes through, they may took a look at Alien and decide that it doesn't fit within Disney's pre-established business model. Prometheus (a new take on the Alien series) made a decent return - but not the level Disney generally expects. Alien Covenant (a sort of throwback to the original) probably broke even/made a small profit. Also, not Disney's traditional standard for financial success. Disney is in the business of making a few movies - but all are expected to be heavy weights.

Unless they change business strategy, the Alien series may just not be what Disney is interested in economically.

People have to keep this one very important fact in mind - Disney intends to launch its own streaming service to compete with Netflix. That was likely one of the major reasons to acquire Fox - to get their vast library to place on this new streaming service.

They are not necessarily interested in re-launching all of Fox's storied franchises. There is of course a possibility that they could create an Alien TV show or even a lower budgeted movie made specifically for this new service (not theatrical release).

Alionic

Quote from: Prof. a on Dec 19, 2017, 08:59:30 PM
A lot of people are assuming that Disney will do a soft reboot of the Alien series. Certainly, that makes sense if you look at how they've handled Star Wars.

However, there is also a strong possibility that Disney just shelves the entire film series for some time, possibly forever. While I am just speculating and do not claim to have inside information, if you examine Disney's business model, they are not in the business of small returns on investment.

Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar - they all invest millions and expect millions upon millions more in profit.

If the Disney deal goes through, they may took a look at Alien and decide that it doesn't fit within Disney's pre-established business model. Prometheus (a new take on the Alien series) made a decent return - but not the level Disney generally expects. Alien Covenant (a sort of throwback to the original) probably broke even/made a small profit. Also, not Disney's traditional standard for financial success. Disney is in the business of making a few movies - but all are expected to be heavy weights.

Unless they change business strategy, the Alien series may just not be what Disney is interested in economically.

This is just a fancy way of saying Disney doesn't like to take any risks (greed). Just look at the The Last Jedi; it's full of forced comedy and generic elements from classic Star Wars, again.

If Disney were to do this with an ALIEN, it would undoubtedly be with Cameron's movie, because action sells. And you're spot on about Disney's business model expecting ridiculous amounts of profit in return, which makes the dreaded PG-13 rating all the more plausible. *shudders*

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Prof. a on Dec 19, 2017, 08:59:30 PM
There is also a strong possibility that Disney just shelves the entire film series for some time.

A kinda sad but realistic prediction :P

Magegg

If next movies would be like Alien: Covenant, I'm OK with the series getting put in the freezer for a while :P

Perfect-Organism

Disney knows this series is still chugging along because of Cameron's masterpiece Aliens.  My bet is that they find a way to continue that story and give us more like that.  ...which would be epic!

Think of it this way, Disney gets Avatar which is the icing on this cake.  But Avatar lives off of many of the same elements that made Aliens great, sooo... they get 2 Cameron master works.  It's a no brainer which direction the should go in..

monkeylove

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 19, 2017, 09:55:32 PM
This is just a fancy way of saying Disney doesn't like to take any risks (greed). Just look at the The Last Jedi; it's full of forced comedy and generic elements from classic Star Wars, again.

If Disney were to do this with an ALIEN, it would undoubtedly be with Cameron's movie, because action sells. And you're spot on about Disney's business model expecting ridiculous amounts of profit in return, which makes the dreaded PG-13 rating all the more plausible. *shudders*

The PG rating might also be seen as a sweet spot.

Huggs

"No, unfortunately he's a victim of his own success where he's no longer a part of a bigger machine whose talents work together to make an all around great film - Alien"

Well said. Alien 1979 was one of those instances where all the right people came together to make the perfect film. And it goes without saying, everyone else aside, without Mr. Giger, this universe and it's wonderful films may well never have existed. The uniqueness and beauty of the beast is a key reason it has survived this long. When you hear the name "Ridley Scott", it can be easy to forget all the talented folks who made the original film what it was. But assuming Ridley can push through something of similar quality is like listening to Zeppelin play without either Plant or Jimmy Page. You know what you're hearing, but it's not everything it could and should be.

Scorpio

A lot of talented people worked on Prometheus and Alien Covenant too, you know.

It's not like Alien was a collaborative effort but Prometheus/Covenant is 100% Ridley.

Maybe the intention is to downplay Ridley Scott's role in crafting the original Alien, because of all the vitriol for the prequels.

Huggs

Huggs

"A lot of talented people worked on Prometheus and Alien Covenant too, you know."

That's a very valid point. And in know way was I understating the capabilities of the crews of those films. I've stated before that no matter what anyone who dislikes Covenant thinks, there can be no doubt that it was designed and filmed as well as could be.

My point was merely that Ridley has got his vision and by golly that's what is going on the film. Back in 1979, if I recall Ridley may not have been in that particular position. You had a group of excellent people working toward a common goal. The man has got serious pull now.

And he's gonna use it.

Scorpio

I doubt he had more or less control, other than the script because he was involved in that on Prometheus/Covenant, but not on Alien 1979 where it was already done and he was director for hire.  Other than that I don't get how he has more pull now. 

This is not like a George Lucas situation where he owns the property and can do what he wants.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed