Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 181,266 times)

Gash

Quote from: Magegg on Dec 14, 2017, 01:59:35 PM
Quote from: x-M-x on Dec 14, 2017, 01:27:40 PM
So does this mean covenant 2/awakening? is a no go?
OMG I hope so.

Just do what they did with the Star Wars prequels and pretend they never happened.

Then open to a sequel series starring Newt. An Aliens: Outbreak adaptation of sorts, preferably.

Pass the sick bag.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 14, 2017, 10:48:26 PM
Quote from: DaddyYautja on Dec 14, 2017, 06:51:53 PM
RIP ALien and Predators.

Amen.

After seeing what they've done with Star Wars, I dread what they will do with Alien.  The Last Jedi is the worst SW film ever.
Really? I've heard it's quite a bit darker, although that isn't saying much. SW kinda sucks overall if you ask me.

Quote from: Gate on Dec 14, 2017, 10:47:18 PM
Disney! Give Blomkamp 200 million dollars, right now!!
I'd rather donate 200 million dollars to ISIS than giving one cent to Neil Hackkamp. You'd probably get Aliens 2 except the colonial marines now ally with Chappie to fight against both xenomorphs and Weyland Yutani androids.

SM

^ Is this the sort apoplexy you refer to, LT?

acrediblesource

Fox 'es mediocre titles need Disney to survive (eg, x-files) where I doubt the partnership will dramatically shift the paradigm of how movies are made. Horror movies will be horror movies at the end of the day. Disney itself is a nostalgia not genre which infects other genres. Its just silly to think that Alien movies will be PG now if they ever make new ones.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: acrediblesource on Dec 14, 2017, 11:05:40 PM
Its just silly to think that Alien movies will be PG now if they ever make new ones.

Why is it silly?  They make and market movies to kids. 

Miramax is for independent movies, not franchise films.  They won't put Alien under Miramax banner lol that is ridiculous.

Besides, they've already sold off Miramax.

GreybackElder

I'm amazed at all of the negative feedback on here. How can you give up on these franchise just because Disney has bought out Fox. I mean c'mon! Fox had their chance and they've bungled things for decades. The Alien and Predator franchises have had no clear direction. No end game  and certainly no continuity. I know not everyone is a fan of the " new Star Wars " films but look at what Disney has done for the franchise! It's bigger and better than ever! We have Star Wars coming out of our ears. Just imagine what the Disney machine can do for Alien or Predator.  I'm excited what the future holds in store for us!

Local Trouble

Huggs

Well shucks, now I can't say "with any luck, the Disney Network will pick them up" anymore. As for the future of the franchises, I think there's a real chance we may see another AVP movie because of this. A pg-13 action romp for the quick bucks.

"Look out Mcmillan! It's on the gosh darn walls. Poop! Harry! Whatever shall we do!"

Or, we could be looking at a Jurassic world style reboot; something on that level or a toned down version of Gibson's Alien 3. Some large scale Cameron style deal, but less "R" rated material to allow a wider audience. I think Disney will be keeping a close eye on the response to "The Predator" to gauge where they want to take these properties. Either way, someone out there can now afford to throw one heck of a party. You think they'll do a xenomorph version of "the skeleton dance"?

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Guess that The Simpsons may finally end after all. ;)

Whos_Nick

Lol @ people who had eagerness for the franchise after Prometheus and covenant

judge death

Quote from: Dabaus on Dec 14, 2017, 10:06:31 PM
Disney acquiring fox is a good thing as far as alien goes. Alien 1 being as good as was  was almost an accident and a perfect storm of great ideas. Even then fox suits couldn't help themselves and forced the idea of the android in the plot out of the blue. Turns out it was a good idea but suits forcing pet ideas into these films are probably why the franchise is what it is today.
     Aliens had a good foundation to work with thank to the great plot and life cycle introduced into alien 1. James Cameron had a solid vision and knew whhat he wanted the story to be. Plus since its guns shooting bam bam shoot em up, fox suits probly didn't meddle as much. Alien is the best one in my opinion.
     Alien 3 was a mess mainly because giler and hill couldn't find a good script and weren't smart enough to figure out where the franchise should go or. We had a lot of interesting drafts for alien 3 which ultimately ended up a Frankenstein of ideas from past scripts.
     Alien resurrection tried to revive the series but it was so weird of a film that I think it turned people off. Fox let the ip go doemant and made the trash tier avp movies to further damage the brand.
     So Prometheus happens and it is said to be an alien prequel and that got fans excited. Original director taking us back to where it all began and where the alien comes from. Awesome. But lateninto develoment then fox CEO Rothram told Ridley to make Prometheus its own film. Lindlelof edits John slights (excellent I might add) script to make it Be a sci if film with loose alien associations.
     Fans were disappointed that it wasn't a direct prequel so the franchise is put on ice again. Then blomkepmk has a idea for a solid alternative alien 3 film that reunites old favorite characters. Fans are excited and fox is interested.
    Old man scott drunk off his ass catches wind that young up and coming director that actually had a passion for the franchise wants to mak a new film. Ridley stumbles to his phone and drunkenly tells the fox execs that HE wants to make an alien film. Fox tells him point blank it needs to have aliens in it. Fox and Ridley decide to pretend Prometheus never happened.
    Scott after taking a huge swig of whiskey says "you want aliens, I'll give ya f**kin aliens. So scott retcons Prometheus as if it never happened by killing off all the engineers for no damn reason. Retcons all alien lore by having a rogue angry android create the alien, and over all makes a shit film. Then has the audacity to have it have a cliff hanger ending so ONLY he can make the sequel. Scott is holding this franchise hostage while killing it at the same time.
     So here we are. The franchise is badly damaged thanks to compromises from fox and Scott. Scott wants to make another alien film apparently without the alien. Scott is obsessed with David who, while an interesting character, isn't really that interesting. It's just fassbenders perfomance was one of the few positives from Prometheus that I think they overplayed him.
    Disny couldn't be worse than fox. Maybe they'll have the balls to take away this franchise from Ridley and put someone on there who gives a damn. It's the least we could ask for.
Although I love and laugh at the jokes you have in that post but I have to disagree with the covenant comments:
1: They didnt kill off all engineers, as that was a colony and the engineers will be in the sequel and confirmed in comics etc to live, dont worry.
2: The alien lore was never retconned, seens o many alien fans and angry joe fans etc thinking David created the xenomorph due to what we saw in the movie, in prometheus alone we know the xenos existed a long time before David and in the comics and lore the engineers made them and David just happened to find xeno DNA and designs from the engineers he started to reversee engineer, hence the differences in its behaviour and design and being clearly more stupid and grows faster than a original xeno. Its clearly explained in the expanded universe so no: the xenomorph lore wasnt changed.

My own comment on this: Since most who are for this seems to either want blomkamp back(aliens 2 version movie) or etconning alien 3 and make it into Aliens version 2 where newt and ripley and hicks and more space marines battles the xenos again and since Disney with star wars are playing on nostalgia and old ideas and reboting franchises and not do anything new and risky: we will have aliens movies for years and maybe some alien style movies, as they can be made for PG13: teenagers easily.
99% sure that will be the future for Alien movies after ridleys next movie. Space marines and xenos on ships/stations etc no more risky new ideas movies.
One of the reasons alien 3 became what it was were due to they wanted to do something different, not just something we had already seen.

Star wars might be doing well but with disneys plan to release a movie every year with safe cards and few new ideas I question for how long it will last until people gets feed up with it?

prometheusfire08

it's worth coming here just to read all of the 'Disney are gonna cartoonify our gore ' comments ........

the kneejerks are strong with this one 😉

Scorpio

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 14, 2017, 11:47:08 PM
Lol @ people who had eagerness for the franchise after Prometheus and covenant

No matter what your opinion of them, they were movies made for ADULTS.

Huggs

"it's worth coming here just to read all of the 'Disney are gonna cartoonify our gore ' comments ........"

Indeed. I'm actually excited about the future of the Alien franchise now. Disney's got the dough to do great things. The only thing that worries me is the possibility of seeing this sentence one day,

"Jai Courtney as Hicks"

God's mercy on us all. By the way, does anyone have any ideas on who would make a good Hicks, were Aliens 2 to be made?

I'd almost give Sam Worthington a shot, now that he's got some age on him. But Lord knows they'd get Pratt to do it, because he's in everything now. He might could've done Hudson though..............maybe......doubt it.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

This has me both excited at worried.

I think I'd like Scott to do Prequel 3 and I want to see The Predator but then after that I'd like a full reboot.

I imagine that 20th Century Fox will continue to produce under its own banner? Just like LucasFilm and Marvel do. And if thats the case then I wouldn't worry about the R rating or the lack of mature themes and such which have always been important to not just ALIEN but also PREDATOR.

Obviously (?) the Marvel properties will return to Marvel which is probably my favorite thing about this. I just hate that we'll never get to see Hugh Jackman's Wolverine fighting alongside Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man now that Hugh as retired and Robert will be following suit in just a few years.

I wish the greatest of luck to their replacements cause they're gonna have some big ass shoes to fill.

I think proof that we should not be worried lies in the Netflix Marvel shows which are far more mature and brutal than their cinema counterparts.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed