J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Alien"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Dec 11, 2018, 11:10:33 PM

Author
J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Alien" (Read 48,191 times)

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Aug 06, 2019, 11:38:58 PM
Got mine the other day.

Definitely some pictures I've never seen of the production. Pretty sure I've never seen the set floor plans this clearly either, which are really interesting to see.
Opened up my copy and looked through it.
Concerning the book's illustrations; a sizeable portion of the production stills (as you correctly guessed) are familiar to anyone owning the DVD / BD sets. An abundance of artwork and storyboards / Ridleygrams, splashed across double pages (feels a little like filler), whilst rare and previously unseen production stills and continuity polaroids (new ones not included in the DVD / BD sets) are presented (very frustratingly) in micro size.   

SiL

SiL

Oh god, some of those polaroids of Big Chap consigned to tiny 1x1cm prints on the edge of a page are just ... unnecessarily frustrating.

Elmazalman

Still, it's a very good read. A couple of interesting details I've discovered from a quick perusal:

On page 248: Production unit stills for the attack on Lambert & Parker, reveal an interesting detail - Ripley's face can be clearly seen in the jet of steam, as she finds the remains of Parker & Lambert.
I didn't know Sigourney Weaver was involved in this shot.

On page 267: The total amount of filmed footage for ALIEN, was 163 hours and 22 minutes. I wonder how much of this still exists nearly 41-years later?

Corporal Hicks

Read a couple more chapters before bed last night and still thoroughly enjoying. I think there's some details in here that are going to surprise a good few folk. It's helped me figure out that the red cylinder draft is actually the third one for the film. Never been able to place it before.

Prez

Prez

So she arrived today :-)
Unpacked the box and it's sitting gloriously still in shrink wrap on my desk.

Will dive into this soon!

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2019, 08:20:27 AM
Read a couple more chapters before bed last night and still thoroughly enjoying. I think there's some details in here that are going to surprise a good few folk. It's helped me figure out that the red cylinder draft is actually the third one for the film. Never been able to place it before.

I could've told you that  :laugh: Glad it touches on that stuff though (or is this your deduction?).

Corporal Hicks

Nah, I think it's pretty straight forward about it. It talks about the red city as the second one that Hill rewrote to hand to Fox, then the red cylinder one as the one both Hill and Giler wrote next and was given to Scott. I don't think either are really that well known.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, other than that piece of concept art showing the cylinder I don't really know owt about that version of the story.

Corporal Hicks

That particular one is in our downloads section.

HuDaFuK

Tbh I've not really read any of the scripts fro the first movie. Or in fact any of the shooting scripts for any of the films other than Resurrection (can't remember what compelled me to give that one a look).

Mostly I hate reading scripts. Dunno why but the format grates with me. I'd be a shit Hollywood agent.

The Old One

The Old One

I empathize actually, don't enjoy the format myself.

RobThom

Rinzler is good.
He seems like a smart and honest guy from the way he talks in interviews and the work that he's done.

And this book is WELL worth the 35 buck I got it for pre-order.
I think it might be 35 bucks worth of good heavy paper.

Its heavy.
Well made.

But he said himself that this was more of a contract for hire job.
It wasn't that same kind of thing he did through his close association with Lucasfilm for the Star Wars books.

In fact, as skeevy neu-disney is wont to do,
they're probably just exploiting his name value rfom the Star Wars books to stick his name on an Alien book,
the same way they just stuck Kasdan's name on the script for a jj abrams star wars ripoff.

The point being that this book is well assembled physically,
good stuff in it becasue he got access to everything,
but it wasn't the LABOR OF SUPER LOVE that an Alien superfan like Val will do.

You can see that he respects the movie,
theres no callousness or disrespect to it,
...like a jj abrams...
but you can see and feel how it was a contract job when your reading it.

Well done, but a contract job.

SiL

SiL

This had nothing to do with Disney. Rinzler was doing final checks on the book when Disney was finalising the purchase of Fox.

He did this work for hire, yes, but the Disney rage is grossly misplaced.

Mr. Clemens

And we'll need you to cite your sources regarding Kasdan's 'non-involvement' in TFA, as well.

RobThom

RobThom

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2019, 10:18:54 PM
This had nothing to do with Disney. Rinzler was doing final checks on the book when Disney was finalising the purchase of Fox.

Thats true.
Okay, the same peopel who made that awful prometheus movie.
And the next one.

Grabbed Rinzler from the disney owned Star Wars connection,
lindelof from jj abrams...

Now they're just under the same corporate umbrella.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 13, 2019, 10:18:54 PM
... but the Disney rage is grossly misplaced.

Is that your opinion?
I beg to differ.

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 13, 2019, 11:05:20 PM
And we'll need you to cite your sources regarding Kasdan's 'non-involvement' in TFA, as well.

I never said that.

So you'll get what you need.
Nothing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed