Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,618 times)

happypred

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 25, 2014, 05:40:12 PMI never really read South China Sea but I heard some glowing things about it, and by glowing I mean relatively good things. The Predator in that story was a monster, dodging bullets from a hundred riflemen, knocking over a military truck with a punch.. Of course while I never really read the book, I tended to lump that in with Yautja. Call it personal preference or personal canon..
I think some of these feats are exaggerated...but as a predator fan, you owe it to yourself to read Predator South China Sea.

It's a very solid non-Yautja/non-Hish treatment of the predators. The novel does mention male predators and female predators. In that regard, South China Sea's predators are more like the Yautja than they're like the Hish. The main predator could actually be a female for all we know.

In one scene, the predator wants a cowering human to "man up" and fight him, so the predator tries to get the human to hold one of the predator's knives. The human ends up dropping the blade and quivering on the ground in fear, and the predator walks away in disgust. I hesitate to call this portrayal Yautja-esque but I think it's true to the spirit of Predator 2, on which the Yautja concept is primarily based. If the terrified guy had held on to the knife and made even a feeble attempt to stab the predator, the predator likely would've gutted him.

I don't want predators to be "space samurai" but I'd like for them to have something resembling a hunter's code.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Everybody knows that AvP was released before Predator 2 right?

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 28, 2014, 02:40:37 AM
Everybody knows that AvP was released before Predator 2 right?
I'm pretty sure the novelisation of AvP was released after Predator 2. Publication date according to Amazon is 1994.

Perry fleshed out the Yautja concept in the novelisation. The comic established the bare bones. I'm of the opinion that Predator 2 influenced the 1994 Prey novelisation. I believe the original AvP comic series and Predator 2 are virtually contemporaneous

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The comics started their release in 89.  The P2 movie came out in 90.  The Alien skull in p2 was actually a nod to the comics, not the idea that inspired the comics.  Chris Warner actually came up with the idea and Randly Stradley is the one that ran with it.

I would think that Stradley's AvP would've inspired the novelization AvP since its the same story with only internal monologue being the difference.

RakaiThwei

Didn't the additional visual sensory modes come from the original AvP comics? I recall Broken Tusk switching from thermal infrared to electrical magnetic visual mode (assuming that's what is used to see Xenomorphs and the games list it as that) to see the Xenomorphs.

Seems to me Predator 2 kind of borrowed the idea of different visual modes from the original AvP comics.. Unless I am mistaken.

SM

SM

It's possible though I doubt it.  Predator 2 started shooting in Feb 1990.  AvP 1 came out in November 1989.  Since the vision mode is a major factor in the otherwise plagiarised meat works scene, I tend to think it was in the script earlier than the first issue of AvP.

Unless, it was a late change of course.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 28, 2014, 03:00:22 AMThe comics started their release in 89. 
The P2 movie came out in 90.

Well, I'm definitely not implying the comic is based on Predator 2. I call them contemporaneous as I think the writing for the movie was probably contemporaneous to the writing of the comics.

QuoteI would think that Stradley's AvP would've inspired the novelization AvP since its the same story with only internal monologue being the difference.
Yes but that internal monologue fleshes out the Yuatja concept a great deal, no? I believe Predator 2 contributed to Perry's development of the Yautja concept for the novelisation. In fact, I think the novelisation is primarily responsible for establishing the Yautja concept, not the comic. The comic is much more open to interpretation whereas the novel gets into the details of predator thinking. 

I admit saying that the Yautja concept is primarily based on Predator 2 is rather misleading. I didn't mean the comic is based on the Predator 2. 

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I knew what you were saying.  I'm just not sure I agree. 

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 28, 2014, 11:38:00 PM
I knew what you were saying.  I'm just not sure I agree.

OK, it sounded like you were implying I thought Predator 2 was released before the original comic. As for my claim regarding Predator 2 and Perry, yeah I could be wrong. Would love to know how much Predator 2 influenced his writing of Prey.

We know that the "Yautja" in Perry's novelisation are an expansion of the predators in the original AvP comic. The original comic's portrayal of the predators is definitely the bare-bones foundation of the Yautja concept. Again, I'd really like to ask Perry how much Predator 2 influenced his idea of the predators for Prey, especially the final clan scene with the Elder.

Of course, the original comic and Predator 2 are largely consistent with each other. It's possible that Perry didn't really pay much attention to the latter and his novelisation simply builds on the comic, which shares common elements with Predator 2 because the movie writers likely referenced the AvP comic as source material

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

There is some stuff that's inherent in the franchise since Predator.  Its obvious that they at least have a code to hunt by, even though I think the honor things in the later AvP novelizations was taking it a little far.

The pred taking his wrist blade gauntlets off to fight Dutch is a little bit like Tyson taking his boxing gloves off to fight an average person barehanded.  They have no contest.

I'm not saying that P2 had no influence on the AvP novel either.  Just its not what I would expect the majority of the influence to come from.  But I've been wrong before.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 29, 2014, 12:49:24 AMI think the honor things in the later AvP novelizations was taking it a little far.
I could never get through War. I don't think Prey and Hunter's Planet have "too much honour"

In the original comic, the young novice predators are all grade-A assholes who go about trying to slaughter everything they encounter (a colonist and his wife, the family dog, the little kid...)

Obviously, in the comic, Broken Tusk is not like his rampaging students...but we don't really get a window into his mind until the novelisation. The comic offers no internal monologue. We don't really know the extent of his respect for Machiko or his views on brave individuals of other intelligent species. He marks Machiko...but does he really respect her as an equal or is he just doing it to protect her from any investigating predator party? 

The novelisation really cements the fact that Broken Tusk is an honourable individual who even has some qualms about hunting intelligent species capable of displaying bravery and honour...but even so, his students are still assholes in the novelisation. It would also appear that his students are the norm and that he is the exception.

As for Hunter's Planet, I didn't have much to gripe about. The predators are brutal in it. They don't strike me as space samurai in that novel. The characterisation of the predators is actually quite good throughout the novel. It's the cyber-xenos that put off most people. There's no real aliens vs. predator action, only cyber-aliens. 

Maybe you're referring to War when you say the honour aspect is over-done? 

SM

SM

QuoteHe marks Machiko...but does he really respect her as an equal or is he just doing it to protect her from any investigating predator party? 

The fact her didn't kill her and made sure others didn't is respect enough.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: happypred on Apr 29, 2014, 02:41:28 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 29, 2014, 12:49:24 AMI think the honor things in the later AvP novelizations was taking it a little far.
I could never get through War. I don't think Prey and Hunter's Planet have "too much honour"

In the original comic, the young novice predators are all grade-A assholes who go about trying to slaughter everything they encounter (a colonist and his wife, the family dog, the little kid...)

Obviously, in the comic, Broken Tusk is not like his rampaging students...but we don't really get a window into his mind until the novelisation. The comic offers no internal monologue. We don't really know the extent of his respect for Machiko or his views on brave individuals of other intelligent species. He marks Machiko...but does he really respect her as an equal or is he just doing it to protect her from any investigating predator party? 

The novelisation really cements the fact that Broken Tusk is an honourable individual who even has some qualms about hunting intelligent species capable of displaying bravery and honour...but even so, his students are still assholes in the novelisation. It would also appear that his students are the norm and that he is the exception.

As for Hunter's Planet, I didn't have much to gripe about. The predators are brutal in it. They don't strike me as space samurai in that novel. The characterisation of the predators is actually quite good throughout the novel. It's the cyber-xenos that put off most people. There's no real aliens vs. predator action, only cyber-aliens. 

Maybe you're referring to War when you say the honour aspect is over-done?

They don't have honor in War.  Dachande really is the only exception now that I think of it.  Aside from maybe the lead predator in Eternal.  It must've been one of those things like Aliens are bugs.  Revisionist history on my part. 

SM

SM

They too had enough honour not to kill her inferior ass.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yeah but I think that was more out of respect for Dachande.  Because Top Knot did everything he could to get rid of her so he could kill humans against their code. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed