Sales

Started by PRI. HUDSON, Oct 22, 2014, 02:00:25 AM

Author
Sales (Read 57,958 times)

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 11, 2015, 01:23:48 PM
A:CM cost around $60 million

Where'd you get that figure from? Publishers usually never release how much games cost, unfortunately.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Darkness on May 11, 2015, 07:04:11 PM
Where'd you get that figure from? Publishers usually never release how much games cost, unfortunately.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=47420.0

I recall that 60mil (incl marketing) figure being bandied about quite often after A:CM's release and the subsequent fallout. Not sure if that figure was ever officially released by SEGA or whether it was just an educated guesstimate by those in-the-know.

Bullshido

Bullshido

Did anyone ask Pitchford what he thinks of Isolation and how he thinks it stacks up next to CM ? (yup, sometimes I miss Tw@tter :D )

razeak

razeak

I think the article referenced is poorly worded. It states "As part of overall sales that have been described as "weak" by the management"

It's a part of overall sales. I think the writer could have done a better job of clarifying as to whether individual sales or overall or both was the weakness.

Doggo33

Doggo33

'Aliens: Colonial Marines' is better. People hate that way too much. I was sceptical around release and so waited (it was more that I wanted the Collector's Edition but wasn't going to pay £65 for it - way too much), then to hear how terrible it was, when it came out. I bought it for Christmas that year for £25 (Collector's Edition) and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of it.

The only real issue I have with it is that the graphics aren't as good as in the demo/s. Also the lip synching is awful in all but the first cutscene (all of that's improved in the dlc though).
People made a particular deal about AI being awful. I don't see them as being any worse than in other games. They're good enough to provide a distraction and kill a couple, but you can't just hide and expect them to do all of the work.

So, yeah, overall I was very pleased with it. It's a good game, just not as good as it was shown to be.

'Alien: Isolation' on the other hand, I take issue with. That is an overrated game.
(Spoilers for anyone who's not played it)
It certainly is atmospheric and the music is great. But there are a number of individual issues with it:

The Alien stomps about and charges, as opposed to being the silent killer of the films.

Guns don't kill it.
Firstly, the point of the game was to have a game like 'Alien' in that it didn't have any guns, and there was only one alien...
So, as I said my first issue is that there are indeed guns that don't kill the alien. That completely contradicts the films, bar 'Alien'. They don't even wound it in the slightest. The Aliens are just somewhat scared of fire.

That leads me onto my second point related to that, Aliens. Not Alien. Aliens. The game developers just couldn't help but include lots of them in there. The game was going so well with just one but it just became over-the-top.

Speaking of which, it became over-the-top at around Mission 14 (The Descent). Everything up until then was fab. It was a brilliant game (other than the gun issue).
But after that, lots of androids (which was close to working but got a little crazy), lots of Aliens, and it became silly.

I didn't like the fachuggers. The game was supposed to be a more realistic game, yet they sprayed a little bit of acid which left a mark on the floor for about 15 seconds and only harmed you at very close range when it sprayed, not even when it's on the floor.

The Aliens became quite overpowered also, being able to fully function in space.

In my opinion, what should have been done is the first alien should have somehow come back, or it was realised that there were actually two. Having as many as they did though ruined it.

So my overall thoughts on that game are, yes it's playable and the atmosphere and sound make for a great survival and 'Alien' game. But the events of the story and other details contradict it and really make it less canon than 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' (not that I consider that canon).

The ending was also clear provoking for a sequel. It's not a great game if you can't conclude it properly.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMThe only real issue I have with it is that the graphics aren't as good as in the demo/s. Also the lip synching is awful in all but the first cutscene (all of that's improved in the dlc though).

Graphics.
Story.
Dialogue.
Character animations.
AI.
Mood.

All of these things sucked in ACM. By comparison, Isolation is a masterpiece.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMBut the events of the story and other details contradict it and really make it less canon than 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' (not that I consider that canon).

:laugh:

Doggo33

Doggo33

Graphics - As I said, not so good. They're not by any means awful but they're not not great.

Story - Fine. Nothing wrong with it.

Dialogue - Fine. As I said the lip synching is awful but what the characters actually say is all good.

Character animations - In places, maybe.

AI - I said in my comment, the AI's fine.

Mood - Mood? What about it? It's first person shooter mixed with 'Alien' game, in mood. Again, fine.

p.s. How do you quote on here?

'Alien: Isolation' is a masterpice when it comes to graphics, sound, and mood (for the first 13 missions). But as I said, specifics really let it down.

And you can laugh all you want, those specifics completely ruin any chances 'Alien: Isolation' has of being canon. The only thing that loses 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' chances of being considered canon (not that games are ever really canon anyway) is the variations of Xenomorphs and even that can be explained.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PM
'Aliens: Colonial Marines' is better. People hate that way too much. I was sceptical around release and so waited (it was more that I wanted the Collector's Edition but wasn't going to pay £65 for it - way too much), then to hear how terrible it was, when it came out. I bought it for Christmas that year for £25 (Collector's Edition) and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of it.

The only real issue I have with it is that the graphics aren't as good as in the demo/s. Also the lip synching is awful in all but the first cutscene (all of that's improved in the dlc though).
People made a particular deal about AI being awful. I don't see them as being any worse than in other games. They're good enough to provide a distraction and kill a couple, but you can't just hide and expect them to do all of the work.

So, yeah, overall I was very pleased with it. It's a good game, just not as good as it was shown to be.

'Alien: Isolation' on the other hand, I take issue with. That is an overrated game.
(Spoilers for anyone who's not played it)
It certainly is atmospheric and the music is great. But there are a number of individual issues with it:

The Alien stomps about and charges, as opposed to being the silent killer of the films.

Guns don't kill it.
Firstly, the point of the game was to have a game like 'Alien' in that it didn't have any guns, and there was only one alien...
So, as I said my first issue is that there are indeed guns that don't kill the alien. That completely contradicts the films, bar 'Alien'. They don't even wound it in the slightest. The Aliens are just somewhat scared of fire.

That leads me onto my second point related to that, Aliens. Not Alien. Aliens. The game developers just couldn't help but include lots of them in there. The game was going so well with just one but it just became over-the-top.

Speaking of which, it became over-the-top at around Mission 14 (The Descent). Everything up until then was fab. It was a brilliant game (other than the gun issue).
But after that, lots of androids (which was close to working but got a little crazy), lots of Aliens, and it became silly.

I didn't like the fachuggers. The game was supposed to be a more realistic game, yet they sprayed a little bit of acid which left a mark on the floor for about 15 seconds and only harmed you at very close range when it sprayed, not even when it's on the floor.

The Aliens became quite overpowered also, being able to fully function in space.

In my opinion, what should have been done is the first alien should have somehow come back, or it was realised that there were actually two. Having as many as they did though ruined it.

So my overall thoughts on that game are, yes it's playable and the atmosphere and sound make for a great survival and 'Alien' game. But the events of the story and other details contradict it and really make it less canon than 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' (not that I consider that canon).

The ending was also clear provoking for a sequel. It's not a great game if you can't conclude it properly.

No. Just, no.

Doggo33

Doggo33

Wow, that's really convinced me.
No.
If you don't plan to give a proper response, don't bother responding.

Otherwise you're just saying, 'I disagree, but I have no actual reason for that. I just don't like what you're saying'.

Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PM

Glad to see you enjoyed it.  I could not stand to finish it when I rented the game on Xbox 360, but will play it again when I get it on Steam so I can play it with the special PC update.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMThe only real issue I have with it is that the graphics aren't as good as in the demo/s. Also the lip synching is awful in all but the first cutscene (all of that's improved in the dlc though).

The alien AI is awful, and the WeYu soldiers were just plain boring to fight, and the ally AI is just the worst.  They're Battlefield: Hardline bad, but with less polish.  I really can't see how anyone can think any of the AI in A:CM is passable pre Bug Hunt.  Even then, the AI isn't particularly good.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMSo, yeah, overall I was very pleased with it. It's a good game, just not as good as it was shown to be.

No, it isn't a good game.   The graphics are bad, the shooting mechanics are mediocre, the AI is mostly dreadful, the story is terrible, and the voice acting is poor.  The music is good and the sound effects are decent I guess, but everything else about the game is simply just not good.  It's not awful, but it's a poor game.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PM'Alien: Isolation' on the other hand, I take issue with. That is an overrated game.
I already disagree but I will take a look at your issues.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PM(Spoilers for anyone who's not played it)

There have been plenty of times when a alien as killed someone without being silent or stealthy.  The alien can kill you with a stealth attack in Isolation, but it wouldn't been a fun game if the alien just hid in the vents majority of the time.  Hearing the alien hunt for you only adds to the trill of you hiding from it and only compliments the superb work put into the sound engine.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMGuns don't kill it.
The point of Isolation was to make a game that matches the tone, feeling, and atmosphere of Alien.  Not once did the development team ever say they were trying to recreate the film as a game.  The game is based on the film, but that doesn't mean it will be an exact copy of the film.

As for the guns, they are not in the game to combat the alien.  They are they for the player to fight against humans and androids, both who can be killed by guns.  Making the guns useful to combat the alien would only ruin the flow of the game.  The player is not meant to kill a alien, they're meant to hide from it, distract it, or scare it way.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMThat leads me onto my second point related to that, Aliens. Not Alien. Aliens. The game developers just couldn't help but include lots of them in there. The game was going so well with just one but it just became over-the-top.

Having the hive and multiple aliens in the game was a brilliant decision.  It was a twist you don't exactly see coming but is hinted out before you make your way down to engineering.  Besides, the player never encounters more than two aliens at once any given time in the game.  So really, how does this make the game over-the-top exactly?

I know quite a bit of people had a problem with how many androids the player has to fight for the small portion of the game, but I didn't have a problem with it.  In either case of there being multiple androids and aliens, I fail to understand how exactly that makes the game silly.  It makes the game more challenging and thrilling.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMI didn't like the fachuggers. The game was supposed to be a more realistic game, yet they sprayed a little bit of acid which left a mark on the floor for about 15 seconds and only harmed you at very close range when it sprayed, not even when it's on the floor.
I admit the facehuggers could have been utilized in a better way, but they certain didn't break the flow or bring the game down in anyway.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMThe Aliens became quite overpowered also, being able to fully function in space.
As they always have been able to, as you can see at the end of the first film.  And how does that make them overpowered?  The player never engages them in full combat in space, so their ability to function in space adds no challenge to the game.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMIn my opinion, what should have been done is the first alien should have somehow come back, or it was realised that there were actually two. Having as many as they did though ruined it.

Either scenario is less believable than what we got with the hive in the game.  And again, how exactly does having multiple aliens ruin the game in any way?  You only encounter two at most in combat scenarios, and that only happen in the hive and near the end of the game.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMSo my overall thoughts on that game are, yes it's playable and the atmosphere and sound make for a great survival and 'Alien' game. But the events of the story and other details contradict it and really make it less canon than 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' (not that I consider that canon).
How so?  What details contradict itself?

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMThe ending was also clear provoking for a sequel. It's not a great game if you can't conclude it properly.
I agree the ending left a lot to be desired, but it certainly didn't ruin the game.  Isolation certainly did a much better job as an ending than Colonial Marines did, which doesn't resolve anything (unless you got the DLC) and was also clearly provoking a sequel.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:40:41 PMStory - Fine. Nothing wrong with it.

The story was a joke. In fact it was the single biggest problem with the game. It had more plot holes than I'm going to bother to list, especially when you compared it to the film it was supposedly an "official sequel" to, and it felt like it was written by a twelve year-old fanboy. It had no substance, it was just "WEYLND OOTANI R BAD!"

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:40:41 PMDialogue - Fine. As I said the lip synching is awful but what the characters actually say is all good.

See above regarding the twelve year-old fanboy writers. The dialogue was laughable. "Chicks and dicks of the USS Sephora!" Not to mention the number of times significant plot points are just glossed over with, "I'll explain that later." Compare it to Aliens, it's laughable. I'll admit the expansion was better in this department but the main game was just atrocious.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:40:41 PMCharacter animations - In places, maybe.

Throughout, maybe. The movement of the Aliens was terrible, they looked like they were having spas attacks constantly. Not to mention the way they regularly glitch straight through the player character so that you're mysteriously inside them.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:40:41 PMMood - Mood? What about it? It's first person shooter mixed with 'Alien' game, in mood. Again, fine.

What about it? ATMOSPHERE, possibly the single most important aspect of an Alien game. With the exception of five minutes while the Raven's chasing you, there was no fear or apprehension at all in the entire game. It was just soulless and dull. There was no sense of dread at all. Just compare it to Isolation, where you were utterly terrified almost constantly.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:40:41 PMp.s. How do you quote on here?

By pressing the quote button.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:40:41 PMThe only thing that loses 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' chances of being considered canon (not that games are ever really canon anyway) is the variations of Xenomorphs and even that can be explained.

The only thing that ruins ACM's chance of being cannon is the fact that it's story massively contradicts the movies and is almost entirely illogical. If you genuinely think 'different Xenomorphs' is the game's biggest crime against canon then I honestly don't know what to say to you.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMGuns don't kill it.

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 13, 2015, 07:01:05 PMAliens. The game was going so well with just one but it just became over-the-top.

So you want a game with one alien, and you want to kill it with a gun.

Sounds like a blast.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 14, 2015, 01:19:06 AM
Wow, that's really convinced me.
No.
If you don't plan to give a proper response, don't bother responding.

Otherwise you're just saying, 'I disagree, but I have no actual reason for that. I just don't like what you're saying'.

95% of the gaming world hated the game. It sucked, get over it. Your opinion is not just the minority, it is in the EXTREME minority.

Doggo33

Doggo33

Pri. Hudson - Oh right and the minority is always wrong is it? Yeah that makes sense. -_-

Mr. Clemons - No. I'd rather there weren't guns. That was the main intention of the game - to be without guns; and that promise was undone. To include guns but not let it kill the thing that we know is killed by guns is contradictory. Unless of course there's some reason these Aliens are bulletproof.

HuDaFuk - Feel free to state the plot holes.

I could easily imagine the Colonial Marines in 'Aliens' being referred to as "Chicks and dicks". They are somewhat childish in their joking insults.

"Compare it to Aliens, it's laughable."

- Compare anything to 'Aliens', it's laughable. It's my favourite film and I think a lot of films and most games are laughable in comparison. 'Alien: Isolation' has nothing on 'Alien' or 'Aliens'.

"The movement of the Aliens was terrible, they looked like they were having spas attacks constantly. Not to mention the way they regularly glitch straight through the player character so that you're mysteriously inside them."

- Yeah okay I just remembered Alien animations. They weren't very good. I never glitched inside them but yeah ok, bad animation in general with the Aliens.

"What about it? ATMOSPHERE, possibly the single most important aspect of an Alien game. With the exception of five minutes while the Raven's chasing you, there was no fear or apprehension at all in the entire game. It was just soulless and dull. There was no sense of dread at all. Just compare it to Isolation, where you were utterly terrified almost constantly."

-  Again, 'Alien: Isolation' is great with atmosphere. There's no game better that I can think of there. Well, I quite like 'Assassin's Creed 2' and that atmosphere. Okay I could name a few good atmospheric games, but in terms of 'Alien', yeah 'Alien: Isolation' is amazing in the sense of atmosphere; even though it gets tedious towards the end.
With 'Aliens: Colonial Marines', the entire Raven mission is great. I'd also say derelict bits later are really good (again, nothing on 'Alien: Isolation', but that's going more for atmosphere and horror).
I think "soulless and dull" is a little extreme but sure, it wasn't as immersive as it could have been.

"By pressing the quote button."

- Wow that's clever ;) I was thinking it'd be more complicated as it used to be something different either on here or on AVPSpectrum.com (now aliensversuspredator.net).

"The only thing that ruins ACM's chance of being cannon is the fact that it's story massively contradicts the movies and is almost entirely illogical. If you genuinely think 'different Xenomorphs' is the game's biggest crime against canon then I honestly don't know what to say to you."

- Again, please state these contradictions. There's obviously Hick's survival but that's explained well and in fact fills in the plot hole of how the alien got into the ship in 'Alien 3' (I'm fine with just presuming 2 facehuggers got on board that we didn't see, but the explanation is good).

Just to clarify, I don't think it's a great game. I just thought it was playable and enjoyable enough to not be worthy of extreme hatred.

Pvt. T. Hendrix

QuoteGlad to see you enjoyed it.

- Whoah. A person being decent about the fact that others have opposing opinions. Thanks ;)

Quoteand the ally AI is just the worst.  They're Battlefield: Hardline bad, but with less polish.  I really can't see how anyone can think any of the AI in A:CM is passable pre Bug Hunt.  Even then, the AI isn't particularly good.

- Friendly AI are always that quality. I mean I'm sure you could name a couple of games where the friendly AI is awesome but in general it is the quality f 'Aliens: Colonial Marines'. They go to objectives with you, they shoot things. That's all that's really needed. I've not seen them be glitchy at all or in the way.

QuoteThere have been plenty of times when a alien as killed someone without being silent or stealthy. The alien can kill you with a stealth attack in Isolation, but it wouldn't been a fun game if the alien just hid in the vents majority of the time.  Hearing the alien hunt for you only adds to the trill of you hiding from it and only compliments the superb work put into the sound engine.

- In the films they do not charge and stomp. They are fairly silent even when they're in view. I'm not saying the alien should hide itself constantly. But the stomping is contradictory.
Yeah, I can see that the stomping adds a sense of impending doom, so from the game's perspective, sure it works. But it is nevertheless contradictory.

QuoteThe point of Isolation was to make a game that matches the tone, feeling, and atmosphere of Alien.  Not once did the development team ever say they were trying to recreate the film as a game.  The game is based on the film, but that doesn't mean it will be an exact copy of the film.

As for the guns, they are not in the game to combat the alien.  They are they for the player to fight against humans and androids, both who can be killed by guns.  Making the guns useful to combat the alien would only ruin the flow of the game.  The player is not meant to kill a alien, they're meant to hide from it, distract it, or scare it way.

- Okay, rather promises for the game, than the point. Promises of the game were no guns and one alien.
I didn't say that they said they were trying to create a game of the film. I said like it, as in based on it, as you said.

I know what the guns are for. My complaint isn't that the guns are useless. It is that guns kill aliens (by canon), and in this game that does not happen. Apparantely they are bullet proof now.
Obviously having the guns kill the alien would ruin the flow. That would remove the alien threat of the first 14 missions and lower the threat level later. And in that case, guns should not be in the game. You can't put something in, change the rules of it and then say "oh well if it was done properly it would ruin the game". Well don't nclude the thing then.
A not so great comparison, but I can't think of anything better is if they killed Amanda, that would have also been bad. It might very well have been done awesomely in the game, and worked well for the game, but it contradicts the films, therefore it shouldn't be done.

QuoteHaving the hive and multiple aliens in the game was a brilliant decision.  It was a twist you don't exactly see coming but is hinted out before you make your way down to engineering.  Besides, the player never encounters more than two aliens at once any given time in the game.  So really, how does this make the game over-the-top exactly?

I know quite a bit of people had a problem with how many androids the player has to fight for the small portion of the game, but I didn't have a problem with it.  In either case of there being multiple androids and aliens, I fail to understand how exactly that makes the game silly.  It makes the game more challenging and thrilling.

- No. A good twist would have been that there was a second Alien that appears later, or just one slowly coming out of a vent behind you when you're on a computer, or something like that. Having lots is just a "Oh here we go again" situation. I honestly can't see how you can describe that as a brilliant decision. That moment where you're up in a computer room overlooking the big room with the many androids (near the end of 'The Descent') and all of the aliens are coming up into the bigger room - it's just so cliche and not what that game was supposed to be about.
I just thought it was a cop-out, cliche and cheap decision as opposed to thinking, wow more aliens; what a twist.

The player encounters 2 sometimes, I think 3 at one point, but moments like the one I mentioned above, and later when you're in space and a number of them come for you just makes it so over-the-top; at least that's how I felt.
And really, whether you're meeting one, two, or several at a time, you know there are loads more so it feels less threatening. Less is more.

I don't mind many androids as such because that's a fact of the world - it's a big ship. It has lots of androids. And with the androids having more is simply more challenging as opposed to over-the-top. The one bit I thought was excessive was in 'The Descent' and you have to access the various computers because that was not only very difficult, but stupidly cliche. In real life (obviously it's ficticious blah blah), it would more likely be a case of all of the computers in any order. Not sending you to opposite sides of the room. So that was the one bit I thought was a little excessive. Other than that I think the androids were handled brilliantly in the game. They were often more scary than the aliens. I was playing on the hardest diffuclty too so they were pracitcally invincible (you can't do the quick time events; it's rather a case of using all of your ammo in everything to defeat 1 android and weaken another).

QuoteI admit the facehuggers could have been utilized in a better way, but they certain didn't break the flow or bring the game down in anyway.

- Well in the way that I said, I think they did bring the game down a little. I'd rather they just weren't included. Also, having eggs in the vents really emphasised (to me anyway) that the aliens must carry and place them. I mean that's what you would think by the films if you thought about it, but specifically in the game it made me think about an alien doing that.
On a side note: GIven the many aliens, eggs, and facehuggers, a Queen would have been nice to see. I didn't like initially that the aliens seemigly came from nowhere but I read that it was supposed to be that there was a Queen but they didn't show it: It was a case of, show it and people will expect a boss fight, or don't show it and people will be confused, and they went with the second. I think I would have liked (failing having only one or two aliens) to have seen a glimpse of the Alien Queen, whether that be through a vent, over a ledge, or on a computer.

QuoteAs they always have been able to, as you can see at the end of the first film.  And how does that make them overpowered?  The player never engages them in full combat in space, so their ability to function in space adds no challenge to the game.

- No, see that's debatable. At the end of the first film it is able to cling on to the thruster (or whatever exactly that is), and in the second, the Queen hides in the gaps in the dropship, but I like to think that that is a short time thing. Otherwise it's perfectly feesable to think that the first alien from 'Alien' is floating in space alive, and that situation can be made into a sequel (I really hope that's not done). The idea that they can briefly survive and possibly cocoon up is an interesting one. But the idea that they are fully fucntional I just find silly and over-the-top.

QuoteEither scenario is less believable than what we got with the hive in the game.

- I don't see how.

Quote...and that only happen in the hive and near the end of the game.

- I know and that's the time I'm referring to. Without those last 5 missions it's a good game (obviously a different few mission would have worked; I'm not suggesting it just ends before 'The Descent'). Well I say it's a good game, it still has the issues of the guns and stomping alien, but otherwise it's very enjoyable.

QuoteI agree the ending left a lot to be desired, but it certainly didn't ruin the game.  Isolation certainly did a much better job as an ending than Colonial Marines did, which doesn't resolve anything (unless you got the DLC) and was also clearly provoking a sequel.

- No, the ending alone didn't ruin the game. But it is part of my list of issues.
I would have liked it to have ended like 'Alien' (with Amanda in hypersleep and the alien music playing). That would have been so satisfying and great to see and hear (osibly its own theme instead of 'Alien's would have given it more originality with that same scenario).
I think the 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' ending was fine. It wasn't amazing but it was decent. The final boss battle was a bit rubbish though.
'Aliens vs Predator' (2010) got the open ending idea right. That has a good ending; well, a good 3 endings.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: CelticPred97 on May 15, 2015, 10:48:04 PM
Pri. Hudson - Oh right and the minority is always wrong is it? Yeah that makes sense. -_-

Mr. Clemons - No. I'd rather there weren't guns. That was the main intention of the game - to be without guns; and that promise was undone. To include guns but not let it kill the thing that we know is killed by guns is contradictory. Unless of course there's some reason these Aliens are bulletproof.

HuDaFuk - Feel free to state the plot holes.

I could easily imagine the Colonial Marines in 'Aliens' being referred to as "Chicks and dicks". They are somewhat childish in their joking insults.

"Compare it to Aliens, it's laughable."

- Compare anything to 'Aliens', it's laughable. It's my favourite film and I think a lot of films and most games are laughable in comparison. 'Alien: Isolation' has nothing on 'Alien' or 'Aliens'.

"The movement of the Aliens was terrible, they looked like they were having spas attacks constantly. Not to mention the way they regularly glitch straight through the player character so that you're mysteriously inside them."

- Yeah okay I just remembered Alien animations. They weren't very good. I never glitched inside them but yeah ok, bad animation in general with the Aliens.

"What about it? ATMOSPHERE, possibly the single most important aspect of an Alien game. With the exception of five minutes while the Raven's chasing you, there was no fear or apprehension at all in the entire game. It was just soulless and dull. There was no sense of dread at all. Just compare it to Isolation, where you were utterly terrified almost constantly."

-  Again, 'Alien: Isolation' is great with atmosphere. There's no game better that I can think of there. Well, I quite like 'Assassin's Creed 2' and that atmosphere. Okay I could name a few good atmospheric games, but in terms of 'Alien', yeah 'Alien: Isolation' is amazing in the sense of atmosphere; even though it gets tedious towards the end.
With 'Aliens: Colonial Marines', the entire Raven mission is great. I'd also say derelict bits later are really good (again, nothing on 'Alien: Isolation', but that's going more for atmosphere and horror).
I think "soulless and dull" is a little extreme but sure, it wasn't as immersive as it could have been.

"By pressing the quote button."

- Wow that's clever ;) I was thinking it'd be more complicated as it used to be something different either on here or on AVPSpectrum.com (now aliensversuspredator.net).

"The only thing that ruins ACM's chance of being cannon is the fact that it's story massively contradicts the movies and is almost entirely illogical. If you genuinely think 'different Xenomorphs' is the game's biggest crime against canon then I honestly don't know what to say to you."

- Again, please state these contradictions. There's obviously Hick's survival but that's explained well and in fact fills in the plot hole of how the alien got into the ship in 'Alien 3' (I'm fine with just presuming 2 facehuggers got on board that we didn't see, but the explanation is good).

Just to clarify, I don't think it's a great game. I just thought it was playable and enjoyable enough to not be worthy of extreme hatred.

Pvt. T. Hendrix

QuoteGlad to see you enjoyed it.

- Whoah. A person being decent about the fact that others have opposing opinions. Thanks ;)

Quoteand the ally AI is just the worst.  They're Battlefield: Hardline bad, but with less polish.  I really can't see how anyone can think any of the AI in A:CM is passable pre Bug Hunt.  Even then, the AI isn't particularly good.

- Friendly AI are always that quality. I mean I'm sure you could name a couple of games where the friendly AI is awesome but in general it is the quality f 'Aliens: Colonial Marines'. They go to objectives with you, they shoot things. That's all that's really needed. I've not seen them be glitchy at all or in the way.

QuoteThere have been plenty of times when a alien as killed someone without being silent or stealthy. The alien can kill you with a stealth attack in Isolation, but it wouldn't been a fun game if the alien just hid in the vents majority of the time.  Hearing the alien hunt for you only adds to the trill of you hiding from it and only compliments the superb work put into the sound engine.

- In the films they do not charge and stomp. They are fairly silent even when they're in view. I'm not saying the alien should hide itself constantly. But the stomping is contradictory.
Yeah, I can see that the stomping adds a sense of impending doom, so from the game's perspective, sure it works. But it is nevertheless contradictory.

QuoteThe point of Isolation was to make a game that matches the tone, feeling, and atmosphere of Alien.  Not once did the development team ever say they were trying to recreate the film as a game.  The game is based on the film, but that doesn't mean it will be an exact copy of the film.

- Okay, rather promises for the game, than the point. Promises of the game were no guns and one alien.
I didn't say that they said they were trying to create a game of the film. I said like it, as in based on it, as you said.

I know what the guns are for. My complaint isn't that the guns are useless. It is that guns kill aliens (by canon), and in this game that does not happen. Apparantely they are bullet proof now.
Obviously having the guns kill the alien would ruin the flow. That would remove the alien threat of the first 14 missions and lower the threat level later. And in that case, guns should not be in the game. You can't put something in, change the rules of it and then say "oh well if it was done properly it would ruin the game". Well don't nclude the thing then.
A not so great comparison, but I can't think of anything better is if they killed Amanda, that would have also been bad. It might very well have been done awesomely in the game, and worked well for the game, but it contradicts the films, therefore it shouldn't be done.

QuoteHaving the hive and multiple aliens in the game was a brilliant decision.  It was a twist you don't exactly see coming but is hinted out before you make your way down to engineering.  Besides, the player never encounters more than two aliens at once any given time in the game.  So really, how does this make the game over-the-top exactly?

- No. A good twist would have been that there was a second Alien that appears later, or just one slowly coming out of a vent behind you when you're on a computer, or something like that. Having lots is just a "Oh here we go again" situation. I honestly can't see how you can describe that as a brilliant decision. That moment where you're up in a computer room overlooking the big room with the many androids (near the end of 'The Descent') and all of the aliens are coming up into the bigger room - it's just so cliche and not what that game was supposed to be about.
I just thought it was a cop-out, cliche and cheap decision as opposed to thinking, wow more aliens; what a twist.

The player encounters 2 sometimes, I think 3 at one point, but moments like the one I mentioned above, and later when you're in space and a number of them come for you just makes it so over-the-top; at least that's how I felt.
And really, whether you're meeting one, two, or several at a time, you know there are loads more so it feels less threatening. Less is more.

I don't mind many androids as such because that's a fact of the world - it's a big ship. It has lots of androids. And with the androids having more is simply more challenging as opposed to over-the-top. The one bit I thought was excessive was in 'The Descent' and you have to access the various computers because that was not only very difficult, but stupidly cliche. In real life (obviously it's ficticious blah blah), it would more likely be a case of all of the computers in any order. Not sending you to opposite sides of the room. So that was the one bit I thought was a little excessive. Other than that I think the androids were handled brilliantly in the game. They were often more scary than the aliens. I was playing on the hardest diffuclty too so they were pracitcally invincible (you can't do the quick time events; it's rather a case of using all of your ammo in everything to defeat 1 android and weaken another).

QuoteI admit the facehuggers could have been utilized in a better way, but they certain didn't break the flow or bring the game down in anyway.

- Well in the way that I said, I think they did bring the game down a little. I'd rather they just weren't included. Also, having eggs in the vents really emphasised (to me anyway) that the aliens must carry and place them. I mean that's what you would think by the films if you thought about it, but specifically in the game it made me think about an alien doing that.
On a side note: GIven the many aliens, eggs, and facehuggers, a Queen would have been nice to see. I didn't like initially that the aliens seemigly came from nowhere but I read that it was supposed to be that there was a Queen but they didn't show it: It was a case of, show it and people will expect a boss fight, or don't show it and people will be confused, and they went with the second. I think I would have liked (failing having only one or two aliens) to have seen a glimpse of the Alien Queen, whether that be through a vent, over a ledge, or on a computer.

QuoteAs they always have been able to, as you can see at the end of the first film.  And how does that make them overpowered?  The player never engages them in full combat in space, so their ability to function in space adds no challenge to the game.

- No, see that's debatable. At the end of the first film it is able to cling on to the thruster (or whatever exactly that is), and in the second, the Queen hides in the gaps in the dropship, but I like to think that that is a short time thing. Otherwise it's perfectly feesable to think that the first alien from 'Alien' is floating in space alive, and that situation can be made into a sequel (I really hope that's not done). The idea that they can briefly survive and possibly cocoon up is an interesting one. But the idea that they are fully fucntional I just find silly and over-the-top.

QuoteEither scenario is less believable than what we got with the hive in the game.

- I don't see how.

Quote...and that only happen in the hive and near the end of the game.

- I know and that's the time I'm referring to. Without those last 5 missions it's a good game (obviously a different few mission would have worked; I'm not suggesting it just ends before 'The Descent'). Well I say it's a good game, it still has the issues of the guns and stomping alien, but otherwise it's very enjoyable.

QuoteI agree the ending left a lot to be desired, but it certainly didn't ruin the game.  Isolation certainly did a much better job as an ending than Colonial Marines did, which doesn't resolve anything (unless you got the DLC) and was also clearly provoking a sequel.

- No, the ending alone didn't ruin the game. But it is part of my list of issues.
I would have liked it to have ended like 'Alien' (with Amanda in hypersleep and the alien music playing). That would have been so satisfying and great to see and hear (osibly its own theme instead of 'Alien's would have given it more originality with that same scenario).
I think the 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' ending was fine. It wasn't amazing but it was decent. The final boss battle was a bit rubbish though.
'Aliens vs Predator' (2010) got the open ending idea right. That has a good ending; well, a good 3 endings.

In a case like this, yes. Accept the fact that you and a couple thousand people like it versus a couple million that think it was garbage.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed