Engineer's planet or "seed-race" that the Engineers "planted"?

Started by Ingwar, Mar 16, 2021, 01:44:27 PM

Author
Engineer's planet or "seed-race" that the Engineers "planted"? (Read 12,354 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Going to drop some Into Charybdis spoilers here, so don't open if you haven't read the book yet and want to remain unspoiled:

Spoiler
One of the most interesting elements of the book is the revelation that Hasanova actually is an Engineer outpost, a la LV-223. Now, Hasanova doesn't seem to be housing any living Engineers (as far as we know) but the very idea of seeing another such installation, even if it is just in expanded universe material so far, intrigues me immensely - and in terms of the films it does kind of send my mind racing, since anything on that scale done for a book is going to have to get some level of approval from 20th Century. This all makes me wonder what else the future may hold, for the Engineers and their fun little toys scattered throughout the galaxy...
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Don't forget it looks like we'll be seeing one in Fireteam too!

David Weyland

I like to think the beginning of Prometheus is the seeding of Planet 4 rather than Earth

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: David Weyland on Mar 23, 2021, 08:10:37 PM
I like to think the beginning of Prometheus is the seeding of Planet 4 rather than Earth

And the ship returned millions of years later to serve as a roof for their children. Everyone lived happily until David's arrival.
Moral of the story ~ Never let your robot play the flute.

bb-15

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 16, 2021, 01:44:27 PM
Is discovered planet in Covenant actually The Engineer's planet? The race David exterminated doesn't look exactly the same like Engineer's from Prometheus. No pale white skin, no black eyes. Their city doesn't look technologically advanced either. It's ancient Greek and Roman alike. Docking ship floating above the city is the only technology that resembles the technology used by Engineers in Prometheus.

Are "Engineers" in Covenant another "seed-race" that the real Engineers "planted"?

My thread was inspired by Twin Perfect video (21:59)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZnKrvOyN6M

The behavior of the Engineers as not being "advanced" enough has been a complaint going back to "Prometheus".
Would advanced beings sacrifice themselves?

In "Covenant" we have similar complaints that an advanced society would never have architecture in their cities which doesn't look advanced compared with modern earth skyscrapers.

I don't accept any of those criticisms. As Ridley explained in an interview, he is taking sacrifice from the Mayan's civilization and applying it to a super advanced society.
As for old architecture, there are ancient buildings in several cities around our world, such as Florence or Venice, where people live in old buildings but they have advanced technology.

* Ridley understood something which has been missed by many fans of the Alien franchise. That the Xenomorphs as weapons are not that advanced.
They are biological creatures with some upgrades but they are not much more lethal than a grizzly bear combined with a spitting cobra.
- When Ridley was contemplating the meaning of the Space Jockey's civilization (in the "Alien" DVD commentary), he had to come to grips with this.

His description of super advanced tech combined with more primitive cultural aspects led Ridley to show us a hybrid  civilization. That it has carried over for millions of years ancient practices which appear less advanced.
* However, the important thing to remember is that our modern world has such hybrid societies combining ancient practices with advanced technology.

;)

BlueMarsalis79

Not much more lethal? Yeah... Right...  ::)

Immortan Jonesy

I wish the Engineers were a cult that worships another species.

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 04, 2021, 12:34:24 AM

Maybe he went too far in a few places. 

BlueMarsalis79

That's the one way you can get Ridley behind it.

judge death

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 04, 2021, 03:25:04 AM
I wish the Engineers were a cult that worships another species.

https://i.ibb.co/sPk8mmb/IMG-20210404-000635-111.jpg

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 04, 2021, 12:34:24 AM

Maybe he went too far in a few places.
This would explain and fix so many issues with ridleys prometheus and to a degree covenant movies.

BlueMarsalis79

It certainly can make it better.

The_Nostromo_Files

If O'Bannon thought of the Alien as a blood relative of the Yog-Sothoth, perhaps there is some rank of Great Ones further up the Lovecraftian hierarchy than derelict pilots and engineers that remain unseen? Humankind would be below their interest, of which the Company's careless regard for human life is a faint echo.

[cancerblack]

Just throw in something about Shub-Niggurath and her thousand young, jobs a goodun.

The_Nostromo_Files

There is quite the pantheon, and I am just getting my feet wet...

BlueMarsalis79

Gods upon gods upon gods.

Baron Von Marlon

Wish Jon Spaiths and Lindelof would write a book or something with all their ideas on the Engineers.
Since there were already plans for on sequel (or more), they were planning on telling us more.
Alas...

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 05, 2021, 10:25:25 PM
Gods upon gods upon gods.

Until you get to a primordial being that spawned more beings, before dying.
I'd be ok with that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed