Prometheus H.R. Giger Artwork Preview

Started by ikarop, Oct 01, 2012, 11:13:31 PM

Author
Prometheus H.R. Giger Artwork Preview (Read 45,961 times)

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: Gash on Oct 03, 2012, 11:10:13 AM
It appears that the much critisised Deacon head shape originated with Giger.

But alas which came first, the design idea or giger's concept?

Gash

Gash

Who can say? But most of the finished designs take a lot of their leads from Giger, whether it be early pre-production stuff on ALIEN or Dune, so even if Giger only did a few sketches that Ridley found 'interesting' I'd be surprised if that didn't act as a springboard to the other artists. As far as I can see Gigers sketches are the earliest to feature a pointy head, a lot of the stuff by others in the early design stages are more faithful to the original alien.

Despite all the creatures having a softer more organic feel there's a healthy respect for Giger in the finished creatures, and the Engineer is practically Gigers' generic 'human' victim.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

I just noticed this illustration amongst the images in the shot of Arthur Max inspecting the illustrations. And also just under Arthur Max's elbow is The Long Tomorrow

change the s value from s600 to s1600 for full size image of wall of illustrations. I used Photoshop to sew and blend the frames of that shot together.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Gash on Oct 03, 2012, 12:00:10 PM
Who can say? But most of the finished designs take a lot of their leads from Giger, whether it be early pre-production stuff on ALIEN or Dune, so even if Giger only did a few sketches that Ridley found 'interesting' I'd be surprised if that didn't act as a springboard to the other artists. As far as I can see Gigers sketches are the earliest to feature a pointy head, a lot of the stuff by others in the early design stages are more faithful to the original alien.

Despite all the creatures having a softer more organic feel there's a healthy respect for Giger in the finished creatures, and the Engineer is practically Gigers' generic 'human' victim.

Yes - completely agree. Behind all the design/concepts comes a strong sense of Giger's work. He continues to heavely influence that universe, albeit in a more passive way.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Gash on Oct 03, 2012, 12:00:10 PM...so even if Giger only did a few sketches that Ridley found 'interesting' I'd be surprised if that didn't act as a springboard to the other artists.
A bit too much springing if you ask me - I mean, just look at it...

Spoiler

LOOK AT IT!

:o
[close]

There is no Giger here.

Stratocaster

Why are we posting the creatures of Hellboy?
:D

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Stratocaster on Oct 03, 2012, 01:58:46 PM
Why are we posting the creatures of Hellboy?
:D

Because apparently some people can't tell the difference. ;)

Stratocaster

Have you even seen Hellboy? There is no differance. ::)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

There is. Everything from HellBoy is much better. Deacon's not even remotely as threatening and crafted of a design as Sammael, the Ogdru Jahad or the Behemoth are.

ikarop

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Oct 03, 2012, 12:21:50 PM
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Giger-1.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nTWXRxtbukI/UGwtKQ0y9KI/AAAAAAAAEIE/W9C7ysfam2E/s600/fawnalien.jpg

I just noticed this illustration amongst the images in the shot of Arthur Max inspecting the illustrations. And also just under Arthur Max's elbow is The Long Tomorrow

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-32cvepud0Vo/UGw38BJ3EhI/AAAAAAAAEIk/oOkpbMwon4Y/s600/creaturepanorama.jpg

change the s value from s600 to s1600 for full size image of wall of illustrations. I used Photoshop to sew and blend the frames of that shot together.

That Babyhead concept piece is from Carlos Huante. The creature was already concepted before Giger did his take. In the Bluray you can even see how Ridley presents Giger with his own sketches of the creature.

As I mentioned earlier, Ridley showed Giger all they had created in an attempt to impress him and get his "approval". The Deacon, Fifield creature, hammerpede, etc... were already there.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Why did he sketch the Deacon concepts?

ikarop

I guess Ridley wanted to see his ideas for the creature.

Kol

Kol

poor giger. doing all the flights for nothin....  :'(

Dirty Harry

Giger always is victim of "time and budget" problems. :'(
The Deacon sucks!

Snowdog

Quote from: Dirty Harry on Oct 03, 2012, 04:29:16 PM
Giger always is victim of "time and budget" problems. :'(
The Deacon sucks!

yet again..... Just like with alien3......

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed