The Official SKULL or NO SKULL Thread

Started by FiorinaFury161, Feb 18, 2017, 11:38:01 PM

Do you like the skull in the Alien head?

Love the SKULL
It's ok
It makes no difference on how I feel about the Alien
Dislike the SKULL
Hate The SKULL
Hate The SKULL and the people who love it
Author
The Official SKULL or NO SKULL Thread (Read 133,721 times)

FiorinaFury161

As heightened posts have recently surfaced, I think we can all agree this thread needs to be created. You all know my stance on the topic, so everyone else can voice their opinions here and not fill in pages of other topics. So...

Do you like the Alien head with the skull or without (hidden under the dome/absent altogether)?

Scorpio

That was a real human skull in the original alien head, so yes.

whiterabbit

Never noticed the skull until somebody pointed it out. Couldn't even see it until alien was released in HD. It's so obvious now, especially in the narcissus battle, not so much in vhs/dvd.

Nyarlathotep

I'm sure that you can guess what I voted.

CainsSon

I LOVE the skull but I especially love that you can't see it. If that makes sense.
I am all for a Neomorph that has a visible skull. I think that could be cool.
And as I said in another thread, I think it would be cool if the skull came out with the mutating spine.

Elmazalman

I never had an issue with the skull or the air-brushed detail along it's extruded length. It was never meant to be seen in detail - only hinted at. It's a hidden detail that can only be seen in certain lighting conditions.

Seeing the eye sockets too overtly robs the creature of it's unearthliness, imo.

426Buddy

I think its great hidden under the dome. #lovetheskull

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, I think it works best when it can barely be seen. Ideally the audience should go; "was that a skull I just saw beneath the dome or am I seeing things?"

It creates uncertainty, it unsettles a person not knowing for sure.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

To be clear, I don't mind the skull so long as it's hidden beneath a virtually opaque dome.  However, when the dome is removed, I think the head looks awful.  The skull cavities give it a resemblance to that ridiculous Newborn and the ridges are obviously airbrushed instead of sculpted.

This is why I think a clearer dome on top of Winston's design would be ideal.  I can't help but wonder whether or not that version actually had the skull before Cameron insisted on losing the dome altogether.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Having a human skull melded inside the dome of the creature and faintly visible through it is one of the most brilliant aspects of the original Alien iteration. WAY ahead of its time

having it outside of course changes the vibe

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Does that mean you like it a lot?

Dreadlock Holiday

I do like the other designs, but I think they should've kept the skull with each succeeding movie.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 19, 2017, 06:06:00 PM
That that mean you like it alot?
is this a deliberate attempt to trigger my grammar correction

Local Trouble

Oops.  Fixed.  ;D

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 19, 2017, 07:41:43 PM
Oops.  Fixed.  ;D
listen here you little scruffy lookin pirate

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed