A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 47,603 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 08, 2018, 08:17:14 PM
How do we know that? All Ripley says is that they were blind on B and C decks. That doesn't necessarily mean we're talking about just cameras.

Why not?  The marines didn't have anything like what you're suggesting 57 years later when they were sent on a mission specifically for the purpose of hunting down these elusive lifeforms.  Why didn't they just scan the planet from orbit and find the hive that way?  That's what the Enterprise would do.

Huggs

So they use terms like bug hunt, yet don't have the requisite capabilities to detect non-human life onboard their own ship?

Local Trouble

Where's the contradiction?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 08:24:29 PM
Where's the contradiction?

It appears that they've encountered non human life of a hostile nature before. That they wouldn't have the necessary equipment to detect unknown species onboard the actual ship is ridiculous. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. It's kind of what the military does.

It's like a professional mechanic saying "is this gonna be another automotive problem?" Yet it really is an issue with the vacuum lines and all they've got at the shop is an impact wrench, a box of toothpicks, and a telephone book. But they've got no diagnostic tools whatsoever to help them locate the problem. That they don't have any, is ridiculous.

Local Trouble

They do have the equipment.  They have infrared visors, motion trackers and lots of weapons.

Just because modern doctors don't have "dermal regenerators" doesn't mean they can't treat flesh wounds.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 08:35:34 PM
They do have the equipment.  They have infrared visors, motion trackers and lots of weapons.

Just because modern doctors don't have "dermal regenerators" doesn't mean they can't treat flesh wounds.

I hear what you're sayin L.T. And I see where you're coming from. My point is merely that Hudson's comment about bug hunts clearly indicates the military is aware of non human threats.

The very mission they were on was a possible non human threat. And they all probably saw Ripley's report that Gorman said to view. You'd think there would be safeguards put in place to detect such invasive and hostile life forms before they left the ship. They had Ripley and all her information. They knew about the eggs, about everything. How was the hardware not at least recalibrated or set to take such possibilities into account?

They did not go into this blind like the Nostromo.

The Cruentus

Well if the flight recorder is any indication, the ship did detect non-human life forms, it just didn't report it or wake up the crew up as in an emergency.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 08:44:02 PMHow was the hardware not at least recalibrated or set to take such possibilities into account?

Recalibrate what?  The aliens didn't show up on infrared.  The marines discovered that in the nest.  The aliens DO show up on motion trackers, but their eggs don't move until they hatch.  They're not invisible, so even basic video cameras can see them.  However, even cameras can only see whatever is in their field of view.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 08, 2018, 08:47:11 PM
Well if the flight recorder is any indication, the ship did detect non-human life forms, it just didn't report it or wake up the crew up as in an emergency.

The neuroscan of the facehugger impregnating one of the passengers would have been enough to determine that.

Huggs

Huggs

If ash can cobble together something that can be "set" to search for a moving object, then surely something could've been done to existing equipment 60 years more advanced. Even though the technology should've been there already. Seeing as how they should've known full well what they were dealing with from Ripley's report. And again, they are familiar with "Bug Hunts".

If one got onboard the Narcissus, they can get onboard a dropship. And they did. A Queen did. How was that even missed? What kind of flintsone operation were they runnin' here?

OpenMaw

Bingo.

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 08, 2018, 09:09:13 PM

Bingo.

I always knew Microsoft Sam had that villainous tone for a reason.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 09:20:03 PM
I always knew Microsoft Sam had that villainous tone for a reason.

It looks like you've been impregnated by an alien organism. Would you like some help with that?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 09:01:21 PM
If ash can cobble together something that can be "set" to search for a moving object, then surely something could've been done to existing equipment 60 years more advanced.

And they did.  We saw them.  Maybe they could have been "recalibrated" to detect the motion of the hamsters, but I don't see how that would have helped them detect a motionless egg.

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 09:01:21 PM
If one got onboard the Narcissus, they can get onboard a dropship. And they did. A Queen did. How was that even missed? What kind of flintsone operation were they runnin' here?

Apparently because they lack the very capabilities that you keep suggesting they must have had.

SM

QuoteThe minute your logic fails you start to mouth off life like that?  Lots of class SM.  But I guess that's not the first time you spout off your smug attitude at other forum members.  Check yourself.

My logic hasn't failed.  Your argument is spurious.  And since you're not dumb, it can only be deliberately spurious.  My point stands.  Don't troll.

QuoteHow do we know that? All Ripley says is that they were blind on B and C decks. That doesn't necessarily mean we're talking about just cameras.

As per earlier drafts - Ripley was talking about cameras.

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 08:23:14 PM
So they use terms like bug hunt, yet don't have the requisite capabilities to detect non-human life onboard their own ship?

They do.  Bishop accesses them on the flight recorder.  It's arguably bad writing that makes Ripley look neglectful - but well that's Alien 3 after all.  Though on the other hand did she have any reason to suspect another Alien being on board if it hadn't presented itself in all the time between defeating the Queen, getting Hicks to medical, redressing Hicks wounds, cleaning him up and putting him into hypersleep, then cleaning up herself, Newt and Bishop, maybe even having something to eat; it's not going to present itself based on past experience.

But it's not as bad as her simply forgetting the entire reason she went to LV-426 in the first place.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 10:35:23 PM

They do.  Bishop accesses them on the flight recorder.  It's arguably bad writing that makes Ripley look neglectful - but well that's Alien 3 after all.  Though on the other hand did she have any reason to suspect another Alien being on board if it hadn't presented itself in all the time between defeating the Queen, getting Hicks to medical, redressing Hicks wounds, cleaning him up and putting him into hypersleep, then cleaning up herself, Newt and Bishop, maybe even having something to eat; it's not going to present itself based on past experience.

But it's not as bad as her simply forgetting the entire reason she went to LV-426 in the first place.

I see where you're coming from, and I mostly agree.

I just think it would've been proper to include a quick scene like I described earlier with the dialogue. It would both fool the audience that all was well, and positively put to rest any notion that good common sense was neglected. It would've been nice to know they had the capability to check for such contaminants in real-time. It would also have been a nod to the original film when the Alien seemed to disappear off the tracker. To double down and insinuate there is an ability to avoid such methods of detection, would've made them appear even more formidable.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed