Alien - Theatrical cut or Directors Cut?

Started by Space_Dementia, Dec 25, 2011, 09:06:30 PM

Which cut do you prefer and why?

Theatrical
22 (56.4%)
Directors Cut
17 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author
Alien - Theatrical cut or Directors Cut? (Read 33,661 times)

MrSpaceJockey

Doesn't Parker slam the flamethrower after Dallas's death, not Brett's?  I was under the impression the blood raining scene was in the DC, but I haven't seen it in a while, so I'm probably off there.

Spidey3121

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Dec 28, 2011, 05:22:39 AM
Doesn't Parker slam the flamethrower after Dallas's death, not Brett's?  I was under the impression the blood raining scene was in the DC, but I haven't seen it in a while, so I'm probably off there.

Damn it, i haven't watched either recently enough. You might be right about that it being after Dallas's death that he slams down the flamethrower. It's got to be one of the two. And it's not in the DC, at least not to my recollection. After it's absence from the theatrical cut i assumed the same but i'm like 99% positive it's also not there either.

PsyKore

Yeah, it's after Dallas' death that Parker slams down the flamethrower... " We found this laying there. No blood, no Dallas, nothing."

I voted theatrical. Overall I think it works better. Although, parts of the DC that I like is the Alien smacking Jones' cage aside and the egg morphing. Both versions are good but the DC feels a little rougher.

Valaquen

Quote from: Spidey3121 on Dec 28, 2011, 05:20:00 AM
If anyone makes a fan cut they best include a scene that appears neither in the theatrical or directors cut, but 1 in which i have a very vivid memory of seeing somewhere along the way. That being after Brett gets pulled up into the vents where Parker runs in only to have blood be rained down upon him. I don't remember where i saw it, perhaps a documentary or behind the scenes look, but i've always felt it needed to be in the film. As is, it's quite a drastic cut from Brett's death to Parker slamming down the makeshift flamethrower. As for which version i prefer, i err on the side of the theatrical cut.
That shot of blood raining down on Parker is in the DC. And the flamethrower is slammed down after Dallas' death, because Parker finds only the flamethrower after checking the vents for the Captain.

Spidey3121

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 28, 2011, 04:09:40 PM
Quote from: Spidey3121 on Dec 28, 2011, 05:20:00 AM
If anyone makes a fan cut they best include a scene that appears neither in the theatrical or directors cut, but 1 in which i have a very vivid memory of seeing somewhere along the way. That being after Brett gets pulled up into the vents where Parker runs in only to have blood be rained down upon him. I don't remember where i saw it, perhaps a documentary or behind the scenes look, but i've always felt it needed to be in the film. As is, it's quite a drastic cut from Brett's death to Parker slamming down the makeshift flamethrower. As for which version i prefer, i err on the side of the theatrical cut.
That shot of blood raining down on Parker is in the DC. And the flamethrower is slammed down after Dallas' death, because Parker finds only the flamethrower after checking the vents for the Captain.

Alright - lol - i'll have to rewatch 'em both i guess

Dirty Harry

Alien in Quadrilogy and Antology sets is too dark...very different from the twentieth anniversary DVD.
The image is far more better,but too dark.I didnĀ“t like the change.

MrSpaceJockey

Higher quality gets you deeper colors, and consequently, darker darks. 

Don PapI

Im watching ALIEN directors cut right now  ;D

Bayo

i prefer the theatrical cut because all the reasons everyone gave here
but there is one scene nobody mention and it's where Ripley and Dallas
were arguing about Ash decision to keep facehugger then there is a dialog
that was cut from the  DC were they mention Ash was part of a last minute
exchange for the mission. Ridley Scott cut that dialog so Ash robot scene be
more surprise but for my taste, it was an intriguing dialog. And now with
Prometheus events, it kinds of links both movies.

predator2rules

When the cut came out in 2003 I preferred it but the only scene I didn't like is when you saw the alien dangling on that chain b4 it killed Brett. It looked really shitty like it was a mistake

PsyKore

I kinda liked the alien hanging on the chain, like it was part of the machinery or something. I thought it was a cool idea. If you hadn't seen the Alien before, you'd probably miss it entirely.

SM

Yeah that shot of it on the chain was sweet.

whiterabbit

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 02, 2012, 09:37:41 AM
I kinda liked the alien hanging on the chain, like it was part of the machinery or something. I thought it was a cool idea. If you hadn't seen the Alien before, you'd probably miss it entirely.
I agree. Miss it just like most everyone missed the top of the alien's head in the final act.  ;D

Sandy Tess

Sandy Tess

I prefer the theatrical cut. It's the version that I grew up on. ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed